Yogurt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
Hi! Hope everyone is ready for the weekend, I know I am!! I was thinking of making a small batch of soap this weekend but adding yogurt to it. I searched the forum and couldn't really find a straight answer, so I was hoping some experienced soapers could help :p

What is better:

Sub the yogurt for all of the water?

Do a half and half of water and yogurt and freeze it?

Do all water and then add some yogurt at trace?

I just make my regular 52 oz. batch of soap and add a small carton of Greek honey yogurt to the oils then add lye and proced as usual.

I do the same as sistrum and Soapsydaisy - discount the water for the weight of the yoghurt, and add it at trace. Works great, and one of my friends swears that its the best soap I've ever made ..... Not sure whether its the yoghurt or the high Shea butter content of this soap which is so great, though.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I use a high high fat greek yogurt.. Thin it with water, about 2-1 yogurt/water,and then pour In my double zip locks and freeze and break as I do with milk.

My last one was a coconut milk yogurt.

I want to try to make yogurt soap for the first time.

I read Anne Watson's milk soap book, and she recommends mixing yogurt with water and freezing (like milk soaps) to prevent overheating and/or discoloration.

It seems like it would be much easier to add neat yogurt at trace as some of you have mentioned. In this case, do you take any special steps to prevent overheating (soap with cool oils and lye, or put the mold in fridge/freezer for a few hours, etc.)? How does the color come out?

Also, how much yogurt are you using?

TIA

I do the same as Judy. Seems to work well I do need to mess around with my last recipe to what's goin on but so far the soap has been nice.

Watch out for the full fat honey flavored yogurt. Mine came out nice but threw out allot of heat. I used gutter molds without insulation and they were still putting out a warm heat hours later. no volcano or anything and the tops didn't get alien brain but I was shocked in the morning and will keep a closer eye on it next time.
I guess I should also note that was my first batch and the second regular fat non flavored seemed to have less heat come off.

I do half water, half yogurt, and add the yogurt at trace. I love using Greek yogurt. Sooo creamy. It's pretty thick, so I usually add a little extra water at trace too.

I use 10% of the water to dissolve my lye, then I add one 8 ounce whole fat yogurt (no adjustments made for the fat) and then make up the difference with pureed cucumber. It is one of my favorite soaps. I do mix the yogurt and cucumber and freeze it first.

Funny, I just made a yogurt and cucumber soap :) I didnt know the combination was a 'thing'.

I've used full liquid weight as Greek yogurt, as well as half Greek yogurt half cucumber. I used 2‰ fat and kept that in mind with choosing the superfat. I froze the yogurt and mixed my Lye into it, but when my bf helped and went slower the fats in the yogurt began to saponify so it's important to move quickly if not using fat free.

I would mix my lye with as much water as it needs to dissolve fully (at least 1:1 ratio but I usually go a bit higher, just to be safe. Then add the balance of liquid weight as yogurt..

Judy and I must work in the same work shop!! Again I do mine that same way she does. I soap 50/50 lye solution and treat the yogurt as the extra liquid needed. I do not like adding at trace because I just cannot make sure how well it is mixed in. I just add my yogurt, purees and milks in with the oils and sb well then add in my lye water. I will also add that I do not make any adjustments for the fat, but then I do not make changes when using any such as gm or cm just let the little extra add to superfat (which I am not a high superfatter)

Last edited:
I use 10% of the water to dissolve my lye, then I add one 8 ounce whole fat yogurt (no adjustments made for the fat) and then make up the difference with pureed cucumber. It is one of my favorite soaps. I do mix the yogurt and cucumber and freeze it first.

can you clarify your method? Are you mixing your lye with the yogurt and cucumber? My math might be lacking but it seems you'd need allot more than 10% of the water to dissolve your lye.

Hi I am also planning a yogurt soap, and think I will add it to oils and subtract it from water for lye. ( as a half water discount) My main issue is I cannot put my soap in freezer or fridge as I have read some say on other sites that you should. SO ladies, how do you treat your soap after it is poured? insulate? no insulate? chill? leave alone on counter and pray? This is the only piece of the puzzle that I feel truly lost on. :confused:

I left mine in my spare bedroom uncovered as it is quite cold here at the moment. It didn't heat up too much so the oils didn't darken. If you insulate it the sugars will caramelise as it heats up and your soap will be yellow/brown. It's only a cosmetic thing so depends what you are looking for in your soap.

Thanks! I think I will just leave it on desk uncovered, I am in south Texas and we are nit cold, not warm right now. :) :) :) I plan on using cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla absolute EO.

You'll get a partial gel due to the sugars in the yogurt, but that's cosmetic so if you don't mind just leave it uninsulated. I wouldn't insulate because you might overheat. You can also put a fan blowing on the soap to try to avoid partial gel.

Just made my first yogurt soap. Used cinnamon and ginger EO, colored it with annatto seed, titanium dioxide, cocoa, and dark red Brazilian clay. Replaced half of my water with the yogurt and added to oil. Now its sitting by an open window with ceiling fan on :)

cinnamon ginger eo yogurt soap.jpg

Back