Ylang Ylang

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I really can not decide if I like this one or not. it always smells familiar and the last time I smelled the bars I just made with it, it hit me...….I think it smells a little like ben gay. what do you guys think of this essential oil?

HAHAHAHA the replies are cracking me up.
um, ylang ylang is one of love it or hate it type of scents. I love it, but with the preface to say, not all ylang ylang is created equally. The one I got from ND was HORRID, but the one I got from ED was divine.

I like it, but it's not a big seller with my customers. The price is going sky high, so once my bottle is empty I will discontinue the scent in my line.

Haha I remember I once did a blend with cedar and ylang ylang. Maybe I like cat pee?o_O I also love jasmin (another cat pee scent apparently)

Wow ladies. Ylang-Ylang that I have is from Now Essential Oils and it smells as a delicate flower. Very nice floral notes, almost like a perfume. If I had to describe it - almost like Petitgrain EO minus that grassy smell. I recall hearing that its very popular in the perfumes. Of course each batch is different - but nice flowery notes vs cat pee? I would switch EO supplier or at least try it from another company.

@geniash I think the scent thing is much like the cilantro/mango taste thing. Some people find the taste of cilantro to be like soap - my hubby is one of them and hates it. So following that line, I think some people find the scent of ylang (no matter where it is from) or jasmine to be offensive - like cat pee. I personally don't care for ylang, but it doesn't smell like cat pee to me. Everyone's nose and scent receptors are different.

Latest posts

Back