Ylang ylang (un)essential oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeroll

Reaction score
My wonderful husband bought this ylang ylang oil for me this weekend, not realizing it isn't an EO. He would like a soap made with it.

I generally only soap with EOs, so I'm a bit at a loss as to how the additional ingredients may affect soaping. I believe this is skin safe. Any thoughts as to how I this may act in CP soap, or any steps I should take (if any) to mitigate any misbehavior? ImageUploadedBySoap Making1388350029.339742.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1388350053.790001.jpg

Aveda oils are basically a diluted EO. Years ago, I had an in store demo about them. From what I remember they recommend mixing with other oils or lotions to create you own scents but from my understanding they're relatively skin safe straight from the bottle. I would think using it in soap, you'd get a very faint scent after curing because the EO is watered down some. I'm not sure how the other ingredients would behave.

Wow, I have to say that calling it "single note" and then adding in scent components from other EOs is really lame. A couple of the separately listed ingredients are also found in Ylang ylang, but not limonene or isoeugenol or geraniol (at least according the list I looked at)

^ I know, right? Can't fault DH for buying it but I'm super annoyed Aveda pulls this ****.

Wow, I have to say that calling it "single note" and then adding in scent components from other EOs is really lame. A couple of the separately listed ingredients are also found in Ylang ylang, but not limonene or isoeugenol or geraniol (at least according the list I looked at)

I'm no expert on fragrances, but from what I understand it could still be single note. Each different scent is not its own note. They are grouped in about 10 or 11 groups- like by floral, soft floral, mossy wood, oriental, etc. So while this is misleading to us common folk, it is not untrue.

Caprylic/capric triglycerides (aka fractionated coconut oil) are the two lightest oils in coconut, so they are going to saponify safely.

A diluted "anointing oil" like this is about 10% EO if made the way I was taught, although I don't know what Aveda's practices are. As expensive as good YY is, I wouldn't think there would be more than that in this product, but the % could be less.

Thank you all for the info. I'll make a small batch of soap and assume the oil is a 10% dilution. We'll see how it holds up in soap.

I knew as soon as DH told me he'd bought ylang ylang oil that it wasn't the real stuff.....he would never, ever spend that kind of money on smelly stuff!

Latest posts

Back