Yikes. Just Yikes.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGM

Reaction score
Wasn't it just last week that I got surprised by a FO that accelerated because I bought it before I started CP soap and therefore wasn't reading reviews about acceleration then? Wasn't that me, just a few days ago??

Happened again! Got my mystery oils all ready, pretending they were lard like @dixiedragon said (although now that I look back I don't think I superfatted beyond 5%....oopie.). I also did 1/2 lye water and 1/2 whole milk (added slowly enough that nothing scorched).
Mixed the FO into the oils, which I may stop doing, because if I'd added at trace, at least I could have been assured of emulsion. As it stands, I dunno what I've got...yellow cottage cheese? Inedible Rice Krispie squares??

But wait, there's more! Decided to try out my new yellow oxide powder, with a swirl, but of course it ended up being a plop. I've got a LOT of yellow oxide because it was cheap. Just in case I need to make a LOT of baby poop soaps....

So yeah, can't wait to see how these turn out....YEESH!

Attachments

• rice krispie soap.png
    rice krispie soap.png
    703.5 KB · Views: 121
  • baby poop.png
    baby poop.png
    485.4 KB · Views: 115
Oh no! Sorry things didn't work out.. And I have no advice on how to deal with it either, sorry.

The baby poop soaps made me giggle though lol

If you get seize again, wrap your bowl in a towel and wait for it to gel. Once it does, you can stir it.
It will be like HP at that point but will go in the molds easier and look a little better.

I never add FO to my oils, I've had more issues with seize or accelaration when I do.

@Obsidian Thank you!
Even if this one is a total loss, it was an ok batch to happen to: this was the one where people said I might as well throw out the oils because I didn't know what they were, but I decided to go for it anyway. Also, this was my first try with yellow oxide....I would have been mad to discover this baby poop business in a good batch! Also, I'm not convinced I even like the fragrance ("Citrus Twist" by NDA...since discontinued. That should have been my first clue....).
So I didn't really lose much and maybe learned something? Maybe? ;-)

That is crazy looking soap. Very entertaining for the reader, but I do feel you’re pain. My specialties seems to be dingy grey and fleshy pinky beige.
LOL yes! I have an M&P bar at home that was supposed to be pretty but ended up looking like some chunk of a cadaver! Mottled patches and everything. The kids are afraid of it, even though it has a lovely fruity fragrance. Maybe that makes it all the more creepy....

bummer, but if you can learn from it, it isn't a total loss. what is yellow oxide??
Here it is, mixed in with all the lovely micas! Upon further inspection, it looks like it's used mainly for foundation (uh, ok, guess I didn't read that far), although a couple of people say it's fine in CP. I think I will post my review, plus perhaps a photo. Or maybe I should try it one more time, with a good batch of soap, before scaring the masses....

I've got 4 oz (113g) of the stuff, which is a lot, considering that some of the micas were 2.5 g for almost the same price!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww bless, at least you have a brilliant sense of humour @MGM! (Though usually you provide us superb results, like this one I just wanna eat!)

Funnily enough, yellow oxide is super cheap here in Kiwiland as well so I have a double portion of it as well! I have used it to good effect though in a CPOP gelled set (the ungelled is somewhere between a muted gold and Karitane yellow). I don't see myself using it anytime soon though, I get enough Yellow from my Calendula infused oil and White Tea and Berries FO which discolours to yellow (thanks for the heads up, @KiwiMoose!).

Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing your next soaps, you always make soaping fun!

Ok, this is the final post (I hope!) as I have officially thrown this "soap" in the garbage.
a) it looks terrible
b) it doesn't smell great
c) I don't think it actually ever saponified....it was very oily, but I didn't want to handle it too much because the FO is not good.

So here's its final photo, out of the mould.

Attachments

• worser and worser.jpg.png
    worser and worser.jpg.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Back