Yet another ROE question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 16 ounces of hemp seed oil that I would like to add ROE to. In looking through the many ROE threads, it seems that the recommended amount of ROE is 1g ROE for 1000g oils. My scale will only measure whole grams (the lowest being 1). I have 453 grams of oil. So my question is, is there any reason I shouldn't add 1 gram of ROE to this amount of oil, or am I better off just leaving it out? Or should I add it to the total amount of batch oils when I am actually going to soap?

I won't have a problem using the oil up before it expires, but wouldn't the ROE help with DOS if these soaps with hemp in them aren't used for awhile? I can 'suggest' using them within a time frame when I give them away, but people don't always follow 'suggestions' I've learned.

Thanks for any thoughts/insights.

I don't think that 1 gram of ROE will hurt your hemp oil, but if you are in doubt, measure out one gram of ROE in a small medicine up and add just about half of that amount to your oil. You can always pour the other half back into the ROE bottle.

Thanks, lsg! I could probably measure out 1 gram, and use a dropper to figure out how many drops and get pretty close to half that way. Great suggestion, and now I have a project for tonight :)

I have 16 ounces of hemp seed oil that I would like to add ROE to. In looking through the many ROE threads, it seems that the recommended amount of ROE is 1g ROE for 1000g oils. My scale will only measure whole grams (the lowest being 1). I have 453 grams of oil. So my question is, is there any reason I shouldn't add 1 gram of ROE to this amount of oil, or am I better off just leaving it out? Or should I add it to the total amount of batch oils when I am actually going to soap?

I won't have a problem using the oil up before it expires, but wouldn't the ROE help with DOS if these soaps with hemp in them aren't used for awhile? I can 'suggest' using them within a time frame when I give them away, but people don't always follow 'suggestions' I've learned.

Thanks for any thoughts/insights.

For a digital scale, the uncertainty of a reading is based on the smallest increment it can display. The relative uncertainty when you weigh 1000 g on your scale would be 1/1000 = +/- 0.1%. The uncertainty when you weigh 100 g is +/- 1%. When you weigh 10 g it's +/- 10%. When you weigh 1 g it's +/- 100%.

That is not even taking the accuracy of the scale into account. It's just based on its readability.

You actually want 0.5 g of additive. You're aiming for 1 g because that's the best you can do. But the uncertainty range extends to 2 g, which is 100% higher than your target and 400% higher than your ideal amount.

I'm just providing some detail for the advice that even an accurate scale that weighs in 1 g increments isn't nearly adequate to weigh 1 g of anything. You need a different type of scale for additives with tiny usage rates, or be weighing them for much larger batch of something.

To put it a different way: Could you use 1 g ROE in your oil? Yes, but you don't have a scale that can weigh 1 g.

Back