yesterdays soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
this is what I did yesterday. I think I am liking this gel stuff now that you guys have helped me figure out how to not have it partial--big THANK YOU to everyone. the FO discolored but I am still happy with it. has anybody used a steamer to get rid of ash? I turned the loaf upside down over a pot of boiling water and it took the stuff away from the center of the loaf but not the edges.
20190130_065818.jpg

I don’t either. I think some fragrances are more prone to it than others. I certainly don’t try to get it off. I make too much soap to worry about it. And like Carolyn my customers have never payed any attention to it.

this is what I did yesterday. I think I am liking this gel stuff now that you guys have helped me figure out how to not have it partial--big THANK YOU to everyone. the FO discolored but I am still happy with it. has anybody used a steamer to get rid of ash? I turned the loaf upside down over a pot of boiling water and it took the stuff away from the center of the loaf but not the edges.
View attachment 35658

Great job, Marilyn!! These are beautiful -- you're in the pro-swirler club, for sure! Color looks great to me, not noticing discoloration (or ash).

Can you describe the discoloration? Was it the gorgeous lavender or the creamy white that I've never been able to achieve? Just wondering....

my soap is typically fairly white and I was going for a purple pink bar--put the FO in and it turned yellow (my bad cuz it did say it on the bottle) I threw in a bunch more pink and it covered up the yellow but not the shade of pink it should have been

Very nice!

I used a steamer once. It worked okay, but I'm not bothered by ash enough to do anything about it routinely (except spray some isopropyl alcohol and hope for the best ;)).

Very nice!

I used a steamer once. It worked okay, but I'm not bothered by ash enough to do anything about it routinely (except spray some isopropyl alcohol and hope for the best ;)).

I have tried using alcohol a few times and no matter how gentle I spray it, it seems to make the top kinda pitted. I got a cheap steamer but think holding it over a pot of boiling water helped more. for some reason the ash bothers me, and its not that bad--maybe I need to let it go :)

When you spray with alcohol, do you spray as soon as its poured? I'd try waiting 5-10 minutes until it sets up a bit....maybe when it no longer looks as shiny and looks a little dull. Or maybe try a different sprayer. The spray droplets might be too big and is leaving that pitted look. The one I use has a very fine mist. The only problem I have is if I spray too soon after pouring, the top looks a little wrinkly.

If I used a pot of boiling water, I'd probably drop the soap in it lol

Latest posts

Back