Yes, another "Is this OK?" label thread...

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some card stock to make labels for my soaps. I want to put "This soap was hand made on (date) at (my address) with olive oil, lard, water, Shea butter, sodium hydroxide..." You get the picture. Then I can hand write the weight of each bar as I bag it.

I "think" that covers the legal things regarding labeling; however, I don't really know for sure. And since I'm not actually selling the soap, just gifting it, I'm not sure how technically accurate I need to be. Although, some of these soaps are actually being "re-gifted" by my friend's MIL.

So, Great and Wise Ones, what do y'all think? TIA!!

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are not selling, you do not need the weight, or your address on the label. And the date is completely unnecessary, even if you are selling.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Ditto what Susie said. The labeling legalities only apply to soaps that are being sold (at least here in the USA).

I don't sell either, but I do gift a lot. My creative side loves playing with label designs and I like to include everything on there that one might find on a 'real' label.....just to get into the practice should I ever decide to sell.....which will most likely be never in a billion years, but it's still fun to do nevertheless...kind of like playing 'house' when I was little. lol

IrishLass :)