Yes, another "How's my label?" thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, zolveria--what is "foiled"?

If it is what I think as foil printing, it means the printing has a metallic sheen.

toi_goldfoil.jpg

If you are printing it and have a laser printer there are products that you can buy to do it yourself, if you also have a laminating machine.

My first thought looking at the round logo was that it would look perfect on a vertical label, like on a box kind of packaging, with yellow owl eyes yes. But a vertical theme may not work well if your soaps have high tops and such.

All righty, here is the yellow version. Perhaps too yellow? Also the non-soapiness of it might be an issue, although I like that it's strong and clear and not full of bubbles and fairies. I appreciate bubbles and fairies, just not my aesthetic. I wanted to be more unisex and vintagey.
And the foil looks awesome! I might experiment with it but will probably end up going too far down the fussy rabbit hole, as I have a tendency to do.
Anyhoodles, here's what she gave me.

owl 2.jpg

I was thinking the foil might work *on* the yellow/gold for the eyes. I am not sure (not the best w/colors) but I think something a little darker/more contrasting, like a gold foil, might work better. It almost seems like the foil would look like a gold mica against the black, in soaping terms :)

The non-soapiness is not an issue for me at all. I kind of prefer non-soapy logos, they are more interesting and less generic to me, and it sometimes makes me think (in a good, curious way) about the company itself. Which I think is better w/hand-made soap, people are spending the extra money in part b/c they *want* something non-generic (or at least I did before I made my own.)

ETA: Also, my preferred aesthetic is a bit hipster/vintage, but that works in a lot of SoCal areas, which is where you will be selling, right? I think part of this does depend on your local market, unless you plan on doing a lot of on-line sales.

Last edited:
If you do yellow eyes, the actual eye should be yellow, not the eye brows.

How affordable is the foil? It's a cool sounding idea - but you might be paying a LOT for something that's not that much more dramatic than a yellow ink eye.

Yeah, it looks like the owl is trying to hypnotize you. The yellow should only be in the middle, anyway. I think I'll stick with the black and white.

I love the logo but totally agree with Obsidian's version. The yellow eyes really pop whereas the version from the graphic artist just looks like she forgot to outline the eyes.

I like Obsidian's version better - just enough yellow to draw you in. (Although, I think the owl looks a little less grumpy - not a bad thing!) :smile:

Spenny, your labels are perfect: Easy to read so instantly I can read the type of soap, then my eyes are quickly drawn to your bar....which gives me the rest of the "story". In a single moment I know exactly what that bar of soap is!

I like Obsidian's version also, very sharp. I don't think there are any issues with it being round or not soapy.

I like Obsidian's version better - just enough yellow to draw you in. (Although, I think the owl looks a little less grumpy - not a bad thing!) :smile:

Spenny, your labels are perfect: Easy to read so instantly I can read the type of soap, then my eyes are quickly drawn to your bar....which gives me the rest of the "story". In a single moment I know exactly what that bar of soap is!

Ah, that's so sweet - thank you. I really wanted to keep them simple, so that's lovely to hear.

OP, I definitely prefer the black and white logo. I think it's great just the way it is, and I'm really looking forward to seeing your completed labels!

I like the logo in B&W. If it were me I would eliminate the outer circle. For my own designs it would open up the logo a little.

Back