Yellowish liquid on top of saponified soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnlove

Reaction score
Hi all,
Has anyone experienced this yellowish pool of liquid on the top of soap? I have left it there for 3 days and it doesn't absorb back. Would like to hear opinions? The humidity here is pretty high and this batch is made using frozen goat's milk.
Thanks!

image.jpg

It was made cold processed. Recipe- olive oil 35%, coconut oil 30%, Palm oil 15%, Sunflower oil 10%, Shea butter 5% and castor oil 5%. I used French lavender eo and soap at about 95F, super fat 6% and lye concentration was at 33% (using frozen goat's milk). It set up nicely, did not go through gel phase. I just don't understand the pool of liquid there.
Maybe like what ISG said, due to the eo. Zap test was ok.

Hi. I live in a very dry climate and also had a sweating problem with a batch. It was the EOs I used. The EOs were re-absorbed after a few days. Only happened once.

I've had that happen a couple of times. I also guessed it was the FO/EO since the zap was neg. I ran it under the faucet (soap and mold) for a couple of minutes while lightly rubbing with a paper towel. I let that dry for 15 min or so then unmolded and cut. I was really worried about pooled FO/EO within the loaf but found none. I kept an eye on bars during cure but no more problems.

If it didn't go through gel phase does that mean you refrigerated it? If so, then I'd say that's good old fashion sweat. Use a paper towel to absorb it and if the zap is negative, then it's good to go.

I use goats milk too but without FO or EO. I love the honey smell that comes natural from the goats milk. :)

I agree with everyone else. It's happened to me a few times. As it usually didn't absorb, I mopped it up with a paper towel. There was absolutely no zap and it didn't affect the outcome of the final bars :)

If it didn't go through gel phase does that mean you refrigerated it? If so, then I'd say that's good old fashion sweat. Use a paper towel to absorb it and if the zap is negative, then it's good to go.

I use goats milk too but without FO or EO. I love the honey smell that comes natural from the goats milk. :)

I didn't know they can have a honey smell that comes naturally from the goat's milk! May have to give it a try:)

I blotted off the sweat and it's looking good now. Thank you all for all the feedback. Really appreciate that! :)

I didn't know they can have a honey smell that comes naturally from the goat's milk! May have to give it a try:)

I blotted off the sweat and it's looking good now. Thank you all for all the feedback. Really appreciate that! :)
I have never had a honey smell from GM soaps and I make a lot of gm soap. We all have different smellers....

Latest posts

Back