Yellow Streaks In Soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyrim01

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I made some chocolate and mint soaps (that smell out of this world! 8) ), however, there's some weird looking yellow streaks in my soap.

Recipe:
• 3.3 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
• 3.3 oz. Canola Oil
• 1 oz. Castor Oil
• 6.6 oz. Coconut Oil
• 12.2 oz Olive Oil
• 6.6 oz. Palm Oil
• 4.5 oz. Sodium Hydroxide Lye
• 10.9 oz. Distilled Water
• Pinch of tussah silk

• 1.4oz chocolate fragrance oil
• 0.8oz mint fragrance oil
• medium brown iron oxide pigment colorant
• green iron oxide pigment colorant

I've attached a picture also.

Any help is really appreciated :-D

Note the yellow streaks at the top.
Could it be that the colorant wasn't mixed in enough?
Is it olive oil?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How could I counter this? .....perhaps use mint fragrance oil for just the green soap batter, and chocolate for the brown soap batter?

You really cannot counter the browning from vanilla, even with stabilizer. Best to learn to work with the discoloring by separating the batter and using varying degrees of fragrance and not adding any fo to some of the batter. I still use colors in some of my dark turning soaps, such as Dragon's Blood, but will put very little fo in the colored portions and pour the balance of fo in the main batch of batter. Vanilla stabilizers are expensive, and in my opinion, a total waste of money.

I agree with cmzaha. I tried VS when I first started but found over time it failed. And it's an extra expense that's not worth it. I embrace the discoloration and will leave my colored portion without FO. I've also found that for really high vanilla content your colored portion may still discolor. But again I just go with it

I just named them something brown. That way it sounded like I did that on purpose.

Like the "Wake up, and smell the cookies!" soap has coffee (ostensibly for color) and Lemon Drop Cookies FO (which has vanilla, and is actually the culprit for the color.)

Last edited:
Back