Yellow liquid pooling on top of soap? Not sure if sweat/separation, etc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCorgi94

Reaction score
So I made my 4th batch of soap yesterday with a recipe of

Oil%
Olive oil60
Palm oil20
Coconut oil20

with a final oil weight of 700g (26.5oz)

I also added 20g of Pure Honey Fragrance Oil (something I've used before with success, I only used that amount as it's all I had), and a lye solution of 218g of water (28g of which was a reduced beer), and 97.5g of lye.

(I also poured most of it into the mold before adding my titanium dioxide to colour the white part which was then poured on top)

I was happy with how it turned out, but I noticed that it was taking a much longer time to get to thick trace than usual. Even when I blended the oil in with the lye solution (an accident on my behalf) it seemingly really did NOT want to get thick for me (which was strange as my usual recipe is 80/20 Olive/Coconut so there was MORE hard oils in it than usual). It was only after hours of waiting that it got to a viscosity beyond what I'd consider a light dollopy thickened cream.

I leave it overnight, then I check in on it and not only is it still pretty malleable, the swoops in my loaf have this yellow pooling on top. It doesn't seem to smell like anything and draws up easily with a cotton bud. The soap is still relatively soft (too soft to cut) which is a shame because my usual recipe would be by this point (It's been 18 hours now)

Can anyone tell me what this pooling is and maybe why it's there? It doesn't appear to be anything I've seen online such as oil separation or sweating, and I'd like to figure out how to avoid it in the future if it's a problem. Thank you :)

106274772_891178148057085_3928732527983352359_n.jpg

It could be separation from getting a little too warm, it could be excess sweating or weeping FO. In the future, I would keep this recipe with beer cool, pop it in the fridge overnight.

There is a good chance most if not all will absorb back into the soap by the time its ready to cut.
If it doesn't, you can gently blot it with a tissue since there isn't much.

Thats a pretty top and now I want lemon meringue pie.

It could be separation from getting a little too warm, it could be excess sweating or weeping FO. In the future, I would keep this recipe with beer cool, pop it in the fridge overnight.

There is a good chance most if not all will absorb back into the soap by the time its ready to cut.

Ahaha, thank you so much for all your help with my soap Obsidian, I'll try doing this next time!

And thank you, it does look pretty delicious doesn't it 😅

I had that problem with my oatmeal, goatmilk, and honey soap. some of them i wiped off and some i left as is. They all look the same now whether i cleaned off the drops or not.

Not sure what it was, but they all are fine

I agree with Obsidian that it is probably FO sweating out. If you use powdered beer, you won't have to worry about the problems with a liquid beer.

I have used the powdered beer and it works great.

Todd, does the powdered beer color the soap at all? I always like the color I got with a double dark stout
Not in the way that you want. My standard recipe is really close to white without using any coloring. When I use the beer powder I get a very light tan color. I don't know if you can see it in this picture or not. This soap has beer and goat milk powder in it. I can't find a picture with just beer powder but when I get home I will take a picture of a soap with just beer powder in it.

Attachments

• 20200621_110924_compress19_wm_compress17.jpg
    20200621_110924_compress19_wm_compress17.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back