Yellow Liquid on top of my soap?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
I've made the same batch before with the same ingredients-- the only thing I did different was discount 2 oz of oil from my recipe, separated it into two cups and mixed in two different colors. Afterwards I separated my batch in half, added colors in, the scent, and poured it into the mold.

Am I not suppose to discount my base oils when I do my colors? Should I just add the dry colorants on the saponofied oils like last time?

I can easily wipe off the yellow liquid. I think it only affected the half of the soap I colored white because the brown section of the soap looked fine. I did a zap test on the top of the soap and I got zapped, but the bottom layers below were fine. Are my oils separating? Is this batch salvageable?

Should i wipe the yellow liquid off? Do i leave it alone? My soap looks lovely im ganna be so sad if it is not salvageable. I provided a picture. You might not see the yellow liquid but its there.

Last edited:

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Either your FO wasn't mixed in enough or it may have gotten a bit overheated. I don't generally use 1 oz for my colors. I use about 1 tablespoon for each color. But it still shouldn't have mattered.

I would just let it sit and see if it reabsorbs. Then test it again.

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
Maybe it overheated? Well I do wrap my soap in 4 layers of towels and shove it in the oven. I don't turn the oven on-- I just use it as a space to put my soaps to rest where it won't be disturbed and it's out of the way. And my embeds did kind of sink it (and cried... a lot... ). Should I... not wrap my soaps anymore? I'm just scared that it might not go through full gel phase and leave a dark circle in he middle of the bar

Last edited:

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Now that you are posting a picture, I'm thinking maybe too much FO or not blended in properly.

If it was overheated you would likely have a crack in the top of the soap.

You can certainly insulate your soap. Depending on what kind of mold you are using. I use a silicone lined wood mold. I will usually just put the lid on or cover it with cardboard if it doesn't have a lid and then just lay a folded towel over it. It will also depend on the temperature inside your house. When is cooler out like now I will lat a couple towel over the top. Then just check on it aver a couple hours to make sure all is well.

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
It is a 4lb mold which I line with freezer paper in a thick plastic container. Container said it can withstand 120 Degrees Celsius (248 degrees Farenheight). I mix my oils and lye more or less around 80- 100 Degrees (safe range for FO so it wont be flat). I'm still starting out and I didn't want to invest in a fancy mold but I will do so in the future, I think it will make things a lot easier for me haha. And that is why I add layers and layers of towels on my batches

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did not discount your batch oil, you only removed some for colorant. As Shunt mentioned usually only a tablespoon is necessary. I agree either it overheated a bit or your fragrance was not mixed in well enough. A partial gel is only cosmetic and I learned to live with them since I do not gel my soap unless I cannot stop the gel in the freezer. I do have a few very heating fo's that I just cannot completely stop. Just let it sit and see if it re-absorbs. Soap can easily stay zappy for 72 hrs. As for dry colorants in soap batter, they do not always mix well. Your soap is gorgeous

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
I just cut them-- no drag marks. Still kind of soft for my taste though so I will let them cool off.

Oh.. that's not what discounting means? Ooops sorry xD

I tried using a tablespoon of oil with some colorant, but when I mixed it, it was not the full color I desired so I added more dry colorants to it. Color is my enemy I still don't know how to do it properly I guess-- I still can't get the color I want when I mix it into oil and add it to my batch.

I did a lather test wearing gloves and it lathered up fine. I think I will leave it alone for a week and update you guys on how it's doing. For those who replied-- thank you so much!

Also Ms. Carolyn thank you! And thank you too shunt!

Latest posts