Yellow Liquid on top of my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
I've made the same batch before with the same ingredients-- the only thing I did different was discount 2 oz of oil from my recipe, separated it into two cups and mixed in two different colors. Afterwards I separated my batch in half, added colors in, the scent, and poured it into the mold.

Am I not suppose to discount my base oils when I do my colors? Should I just add the dry colorants on the saponofied oils like last time?

I can easily wipe off the yellow liquid. I think it only affected the half of the soap I colored white because the brown section of the soap looked fine. I did a zap test on the top of the soap and I got zapped, but the bottom layers below were fine. Are my oils separating? Is this batch salvageable?

Should i wipe the yellow liquid off? Do i leave it alone? My soap looks lovely im ganna be so sad if it is not salvageable. I provided a picture. You might not see the yellow liquid but its there.

Last edited:
Either your FO wasn't mixed in enough or it may have gotten a bit overheated. I don't generally use 1 oz for my colors. I use about 1 tablespoon for each color. But it still shouldn't have mattered.

I would just let it sit and see if it reabsorbs. Then test it again.

Maybe it overheated? Well I do wrap my soap in 4 layers of towels and shove it in the oven. I don't turn the oven on-- I just use it as a space to put my soaps to rest where it won't be disturbed and it's out of the way. And my embeds did kind of sink it (and cried... a lot... ). Should I... not wrap my soaps anymore? I'm just scared that it might not go through full gel phase and leave a dark circle in he middle of the bar

Last edited:
Now that you are posting a picture, I'm thinking maybe too much FO or not blended in properly.

If it was overheated you would likely have a crack in the top of the soap.

You can certainly insulate your soap. Depending on what kind of mold you are using. I use a silicone lined wood mold. I will usually just put the lid on or cover it with cardboard if it doesn't have a lid and then just lay a folded towel over it. It will also depend on the temperature inside your house. When is cooler out like now I will lat a couple towel over the top. Then just check on it aver a couple hours to make sure all is well.

It is a 4lb mold which I line with freezer paper in a thick plastic container. Container said it can withstand 120 Degrees Celsius (248 degrees Farenheight). I mix my oils and lye more or less around 80- 100 Degrees (safe range for FO so it wont be flat). I'm still starting out and I didn't want to invest in a fancy mold but I will do so in the future, I think it will make things a lot easier for me haha. And that is why I add layers and layers of towels on my batches

You did not discount your batch oil, you only removed some for colorant. As Shunt mentioned usually only a tablespoon is necessary. I agree either it overheated a bit or your fragrance was not mixed in well enough. A partial gel is only cosmetic and I learned to live with them since I do not gel my soap unless I cannot stop the gel in the freezer. I do have a few very heating fo's that I just cannot completely stop. Just let it sit and see if it re-absorbs. Soap can easily stay zappy for 72 hrs. As for dry colorants in soap batter, they do not always mix well. Your soap is gorgeous

I just cut them-- no drag marks. Still kind of soft for my taste though so I will let them cool off.

Oh.. that's not what discounting means? Ooops sorry xD

I tried using a tablespoon of oil with some colorant, but when I mixed it, it was not the full color I desired so I added more dry colorants to it. Color is my enemy I still don't know how to do it properly I guess-- I still can't get the color I want when I mix it into oil and add it to my batch.

I did a lather test wearing gloves and it lathered up fine. I think I will leave it alone for a week and update you guys on how it's doing. For those who replied-- thank you so much!

Also Ms. Carolyn thank you! And thank you too shunt!

Back