Yearly reading challenges!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawksquill

Reaction score
Does anyone else set themselves yearly reading challenges? I've used Goodreads sporadically for a few years, but in 2019 I committed to a reading challenge and started logging every book I read this year (and every book I can remember reading in the past!)

My goal for 2019 was a modest 24 (two books per month) and I managed to read 37 books this year, for a total of over 11,00 pages! For 2020 I think I'll try to shoot for 45 books for the year, and see if I can exceed my goal again.

I also recently organized my Goodreads shelves to include an "already own" category, so I can quickly see a list of books I already own but haven't read, to hopefully curb the desire to keep buying more and more books!

What are your reading goals for 2020? Which book are you going to read first?

I've been doing Goodreads for.... a really long time. I set a goal for the year, but I rarely meet it. This year I set a goal of 50, and read 15. My reading has severely declined since 2011 (when I came into house ownership). It is on my goal list to at least read every day in 2020, not necessarily how many books I read.

My "books I own" shelf is called "This shelf is out of control".

My next book (I'm about 95% done with the book I'm reading now) will be The Snow Gypsy by Lindsay Ashford.

I'd also like to note that my work is currently having a Book Bingo until Feb 15th. My goal is not to get a bingo, but to block enough squares that no one else can get a bingo, bwahahaha.

I've been listening to audio books lately but I have a ton on my kindle I need to read.
I also signed up for a three month trial of kindle unlimited so I need to squeeze in as many as I can.
My highest amount was somewhere between 200 and 250. Many were 100 page or less novellas but I was reading 3 or 4 a day.

I've been doing Goodreads for.... a really long time. I set a goal for the year, but I rarely meet it. This year I set a goal of 50, and read 15. My reading has severely declined since 2011 (when I came into house ownership). It is on my goal list to at least read every day in 2020, not necessarily how many books I read.

My "books I own" shelf is called "This shelf is out of control".

My next book (I'm about 95% done with the book I'm reading now) will be The Snow Gypsy by Lindsay Ashford.

I'd also like to note that my work is currently having a Book Bingo until Feb 15th. My goal is not to get a bingo, but to block enough squares that no one else can get a bingo, bwahahaha.

Ugh, I can totally sympathize with the plight of home ownership. My reading took the biggest dip after I graduated college (I was an English and history major, and did a reading-heavy master's, too) so I was totally burnt out on reading. New jobs, moving, buying a house certainly don't help either!

Love your "this shelf is out of control" name, too, haha! Just today I was able to purge about 20 books that I either don't like enough to reread or have finally accepted that I won't read, so those are ready to donate to make more room for all the new books I'll inevitably buy. :p

I haven't heard of Snow Gypsy but I love historical fiction so maybe I'll add it to my list! I'm reading Cold Comfort Farm at the moment and won't finish it before midnight so that will likely count as my first book finished of 2020, but after that I might read Hild by Nicola Griffith or Shadow of the Wind.

I've been on Goodreads for freaking ever, and used to be diligent about updating my books, reviewing read books, and making sure they were all logged, and accounted for, etc., however, last year was the year that fell away. I just don't have time to be bothered to keep track. I used to set the goal to 50 or more every year and would either make it or surpass it every year.
I set my goal for 15 this year, and tbh I'm not even sure I made that. When I get off work, and on the weekends, I just want to shut my brain off and not think, so reading just never equates anymore.

I've never set a reading goal before. Usually I have to cut back because it's my first love. I'm not sure what I would choose if I had to choose between never reading again and keeping my husband. It's probably his only competition. Well that and our kids. Kids always come first. Hmmm. Anyway, I have the first book of The Witcher series on hold at the library right now. I'm currently reading "I'm Still Here, Black Dignity in A World Made For Whiteness" by Austin Channing Brown. I'm always looking for good sci fi even though right now I'm reading more fantasy so if anyone has suggestions of newer authors. I like big space opera sci fi with a lot of cultural anthropology thrown in.

I've never set a reading goal before. Usually I have to cut back because it's my first love. I'm not sure what I would choose if I had to choose between never reading again and keeping my husband. It's probably his only competition. Well that and our kids. Kids always come first. Hmmm. Anyway, I have the first book of The Witcher series on hold at the library right now. I'm currently reading "I'm Still Here, Black Dignity in A World Made For Whiteness" by Austin Channing Brown. I'm always looking for good sci fi even though right now I'm reading more fantasy so if anyone has suggestions of newer authors. I like big space opera sci fi with a lot of cultural anthropology thrown in.

If you like sci-fi/fantasy I always recommend Nnedi Okorafor! Afro-futurist sci-fi/fantasy depending on the book. I highly recommend the Binti trilogy and the Akata Witch books.

I usually use onlinebookclub.com to keep track of my stuff but it’s a bit clunky/slow. I joined because they do pay you for reviews and you get the kindle version of the book you review to keep (though sometimes it’s a pdf). They also offer a free/discount book of the day and have raffles for amazon gift cards.

my goal is usually 50 books a year and I think I make that if I count all the books I reread through the year (it took me 2 weeks to reread a 13 book series with each book close to 400 pages but I haven’t gone into the site to log them).

Don’t know if I’m tracking my reading this year. I’ve got to prioritize life instead of books

I haven't heard of Snow Gypsy but I love historical fiction so maybe I'll add it to my list!
So far it's really good - I managed to get through 30% of it yesterday while traveling, and very much looking forward to picking it back up when I get off work tonight. If you like descriptive writing, this one is good.

Latest posts

Back