Year old soap questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loriag

Reaction score
So I have been soaping for a year and kept fairly decent records of batches, and any issues etc. I had 5 batches DOS in the first 50 and no DOS since (I'm at 108 batches). I have some pretty good ideas why they DOS'd. I now have 3 consistent recipes I use and am working on developing 2 more. I have 4 bars from month one and two of my soaping adventure. I wish I had kept more, not just my records.
My question now really has to do with scents staying/changing as that is what I have noticed I have issues with (in my kept early bars).
I did scent fairly lightly 3.5 to 4% in those 4 remaining year old bars. 3 out of 4 have either lost most of the scent or the scent has lessened or changed some. The one that has changed my boy3 still has, it was a Tahitian Vanilla FO that he said has lessened and gone a bit earthy but is a great well cured bar that lathers lovely. 2 that are EO's have pretty much lost all scent (1 of those has a faint bit left). The one that still has scent is a Lavender FO (that I hated).
I scent according to safe usage rates and usually I now scent at 5% for most FO recipes.
How long can/ should scents last in soaps, is there tips, tricks to make them last a year or longer. I know the EO's that tend to fade, and don't really use many EO's but a few like lavender, patchouli, lime (in a combination), anise, peppermint. Mostly I use FO's. I do add a bit of Kaolin Clay to every batch.
Your wisdom is always appreciated.

I just got done replying to a similar thread. My bit isn't very helpful but maybe you'd like to read what others have said in there?

What I do know from other sources too, is that you should thoroughly read reviews and supplier info, so you can determine which scents are likely to stick around a long while. I think that's your best chance.

This is why it would be so helpful if more people posted on the scent review board. I read the reviews there, and am really trying to be better about adding/updating reviews. I also usually scent at 5% unless the FO is especially strong. Personally, using kaolin clay hasn't seemed to really make a difference long term. It might help a fading EO last a bit longer. Anchoring with another EO - I commonly see litsea mentioned - just leaves the soaps smelling like the anchoring scent. At least for me. Others may have different opinions about this. I think that getting a year of some amount of scent retention is a reasonable goal. Longer than that is a bonus.

I do read reviews thoroughly before I purchase and always take them into consideration before I buy. I haven't noticed the fading usually starts until 6 or 8 months later. If a FO fades faster than that it is not repurchased. If it doesn't hold up in the shower it is not repurchased. So I am looking at the long term how long should a FO last. Thanks @dibbles for the amount of time you think is reasonable for a scent to last, that is really what I am looking for.
I'm in Canada, the review board has NDA's but I didn't see others from Canada. I do struggle a bit navigating it but I think I am doing it correctly. I only purchased 2 FO's from them through my sister as they have a service fee for orders under $100. I saw Voyageur listed as a supplier but no reviews from them. I only buy a select few from Voyageur that I use regularly. My main supplier in Canada is not there. I am not opposed to adding reviews but want to figure out how to navigate it better and of course have valuable info to add.

Back