Year old palm, yay or nay?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't made soap since last Spring and have a ton of palm oil left (bought at the same time)

I thought I'd put it to good use and make a ton of soap to donate.... for obvious reasons. I figure I'll use long lasting ho oils with it. Do you think the resulting bars would have a good shelf life?

Thank you, that's what I thought but wanted a second opinion. Its Smart and Finals 50 lb cube so there's pounds of it left and hate to see it wasted.

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't made soap in a year myself and have palm that I had orders but not yet used. Hope to get to making in the next couple weeks. I've sent in my booth fees for my shows this year. Need to light a fire under my behind.

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't made soap in a year myself and have palm that I had orders but not yet used. Hope to get to making in the next couple weeks. I've sent in my booth fees for my shows this year. Need to light a fire under my behind.
You better get the fire lit if you have shows paid for. :D Sounds like a few of us are slowing down. I know I am. Of course, our markets are either going away here, getting bad or just too expensive to attend.

@cmzaha I'm only doing 3 shows currently. I've been doing them for years and have a great following. They are all 2 day shows in tourist areas. I've just had so much going on with the divorce, working on getting things back to some kind of normal. I shut my website down months ago. Not been in a good place mentally for awhile. Still struggling.

I have been thinking of both of you @cmzaha and @shunt2011 while I've been trying to get myself setup for my "show season".

Back to the OP... I would use it. You probably have a good idea what it should smell and look like, so you'll be familiar with it and able to tell if it's off or not. If you have freezer space, I would portion it off and freeze it to prolong it. I don't know if melting it down to add ROE would be worth it or of any benefit at this point in it's aging process.

Latest posts

Back