Yay! No more parchment or freezer paper!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's true. I know, I know many use silicone molds and love them. I, Dennis, even bought one to see if I would like it. Admittedly it is a cheap one in the wooden surround that probably won't last long as the silicone is thin, thin, thin. Haven't used it yet but intend to. My molds have been and continue to be the wooden loaf molds I made myself years ago. I like them but absolutely HATE making the liners out of parchment or freezer paper. I have tried. I have watched more videos on you tube, read every instruction found, and STILL at times released a primal scream that terrified the neighborhood. All of that is behind me. There is lasting peace and tranquility in the home again. I read somewhere here of someone using Saran Wrap or Glad Wrap and it didn't melt doing CPOP. Well, it took about ten minutes trying to use that stuff to throw it aside. Forget that! Suddenly I saw in the same drawer with the Glad Wrap the box of trash bags. Hmmph! Cheapest ones I could find. Probably melt. But I was desperate. It was either give it a shot or face the freezer paper again as the last liner used over and over had finally given up the ghost. The sensible, cautious type would try something new in a small batch. Makes sense. So, I grabbed a trash bag, grabbed my biggest mold and finagled it in, smoothed it out, replaced the mold ends. It took about 5 minutes which is really good for a guy with ten thumbs. Moving along, the whole time I was stirring the batter thoughts of a melted sticky mess haunted me. Oh my, this is going to be terrible! Poured up the batter, smoothed it out and placed the mold in the oven. Nothing was stuck to the rack when I removed it and this morning when I grabbed the edges of the plastic bag it lifted right out of the mold. Oh joy! So easy! What took me so long!? Can you tell I really feel good about this?

Dennis, is that a mold from Amazon , pine box, purple or pink silicone, roughly 2.75 x 3.25? Cost about 10 bucks? If so, you'll get a lot of use out of them. Had mine for 3+ years and still happy with them.

If you buy more, be sure to mark which silicone liner came with which wood box. Switching them out with molds bought at different times can make for crooked bars. Suspect each shipment has slightly different measurements.

Dennis, is that a mold from Amazon , pine box, purple or pink silicone, roughly 2.75 x 3.25? Cost about 10 bucks? If so, you'll get a lot of use out of them. Had mine for 3+ years and still happy with them.

If you buy more, be sure to mark which silicone liner came with which wood box. Switching them out with molds bought at different times can make for crooked bars. Suspect each shipment has slightly different measurements.

Yes, the same ones. I bought one thinking 10 bucks was worth taking a chance. When I took the plastic wrap off the mold it smelled like fresh cut wood. Love that smell! Good to hear that it has held up well for you. I may end up buying more if I like it. It will be marked #1 with a sharpie. Thanks for the tip. Never would have thought about it. There are much larger and better quality molds (thicker) out there but as a hobbyist I can't comfortably spend a ton on high dollar molds. Oils, yes.

Yes, the same ones. I bought one thinking 10 bucks was worth taking a chance. When I took the plastic wrap off the mold it smelled like fresh cut wood. Love that smell! Good to hear that it has held up well for you. I may end up buying more if I like it. It will be marked #1 with a sharpie. Thanks for the tip. Never would have thought about it. There are much larger and better quality molds (thicker) out there but as a hobbyist I can't comfortably spend a ton on high dollar molds. Oils, yes.

Honestly - I don't think the silicone should be any thicker because you can actually turn it inside out to help as you push the soap out of it. It helps preserve the edges and corners. After several uses, I started using a Q tip smeared with a thin layer of Vaseline to grease the corners and help with releasing. I like crisp edges. (Of course, being patient enough to wait a few more hours to unmold will help too!)

I too love the smell of the wood! And did you notice they use the dove tail method instead of nails to build it? (at least mine did)

I have HDPE molds and use freezer paper to line. While I DO HATE IT, I have learned that I do not have to do the ends as I cut those off. This makes it much easier to do.

I too have the purple wooden molds but they are too small for me. So unfortunately they are sitting aside for now

Good job finding something that works for you!

I've never had a hard time lining with freezer paper. I cut two pieces the same length and width as my mold, using my 2lb mold as an example, 12" x 3-1/2". My first cut is the width of the mold 3-1/2" along the length of the freezer paper. I don't make any cuts in the width of the freezer paper. This paper goes into the mold, covering the ends of the mold and along the bottom. (when using my longer 24" mold, I cut the paper in half so it doesn't cover the full bottom of the mold, just over the ends and a bit along the bottom). My second cut is the length of the mold 12" along the length of the freezer paper, again not making any cuts in the width of the freezer paper. This piece is place over the sides of the mold, making two simple folds where the sides meets the mold bottom. This leaves extra freezer paper at the top of both sides of the mold, which makes it handy to pull the soap out. The length of my mold has a removable face, but I haven't removed it years because I've been able to pull the soap out with the paper. I can line a mold in two minutes or less most days.

Like AMD I can line my molds really quick with 2 simple cuts since I like to line the ends. My HDPE molds are the length of the freezer so I can cut 9.5" which lines the sides and bottom I cut a strip the width of my mold which I cut of pieces to line the ends. Takes me a couple of minutes also. Like Lin I would not have to line the ends but I usually pull the soap out of the mold instead of taking off the sides to enable me to cut off the ends. Since I am not a fan of silicone molds other than my multi square silicone molds for facial bars this works good for me

Good you started with a non-melting plastic. There are some cheaper thinner plastic baggies that don't hold up well to the lye, as I sadly discovered earlier this month. They were a very very thin mil I don't even know where I got them as they had been lying around in a cupboard loose for quite a long time. The lye ate away at the seams it seems and they leaked through with soap batter.

But since you had success with the brand you have on hand, my suggestion is to stick to that brand and use only once before you change it out, just in case the lye weakens the plastic.

I have never had trouble with using plastic wrap in the oven for CPOP. Not once has any of them melted. I also use cardboard as lids and towels for insulation in CPOP as well and not once has any of them caught fire or burned either. I had someone ask me about that once. Even if I accidentally leave the oven on (which has only happened a couple of times) nothing untoward happens to the plastic wrap, cardboard or towels. But, of course I am not using 'broil' for CPOP. If that were the case, I'd surely have issues. ;)

Honestly - I don't think the silicone should be any thicker because you can actually turn it inside out to help as you push the soap out of it. It helps preserve the edges and corners. After several uses, I started using a Q tip smeared with a thin layer of Vaseline to grease the corners and help with releasing. I like crisp edges. (Of course, being patient enough to wait a few more hours to unmold will help too!)
I too love the smell of the wood! And did you notice they use the dove tail method instead of nails to build it? (at least mine did)
Great idea using the Q tip and vaseline on the corners. Thanks. The dovetails were a surprise. Very smooth. I love them. Heck, I ordered another one last night in a sleepless soap making wander around the internet at 3AM. Found one for $8.99. Same mold, same purple color, same wood box. Couldn't turn it down.

Good job finding something that works for you!

I've never had a hard time lining with freezer paper. I cut two pieces the same length and width as my mold, using my 2lb mold as an example, 12" x 3-1/2". My first cut is the width of the mold 3-1/2" along the length of the freezer paper. I don't make any cuts in the width of the freezer paper. This paper goes into the mold, covering the ends of the mold and along the bottom. (when using my longer 24" mold, I cut the paper in half so it doesn't cover the full bottom of the mold, just over the ends and a bit along the bottom). My second cut is the length of the mold 12" along the length of the freezer paper, again not making any cuts in the width of the freezer paper. This piece is place over the sides of the mold, making two simple folds where the sides meets the mold bottom. This leaves extra freezer paper at the top of both sides of the mold, which makes it handy to pull the soap out. The length of my mold has a removable face, but I haven't removed it years because I've been able to pull the soap out with the paper. I can line a mold in two minutes or less most days.

Like AMD I can line my molds really quick with 2 simple cuts since I like to line the ends. My HDPE molds are the length of the freezer so I can cut 9.5" which lines the sides and bottom I cut a strip the width of my mold which I cut of pieces to line the ends. Takes me a couple of minutes also. Like Lin I would not have to line the ends but I usually pull the soap out of the mold instead of taking off the sides to enable me to cut off the ends. Since I am not a fan of silicone molds other than my multi square silicone molds for facial bars this works good for me
Lin and cmzaha - Where have you been all my soap making life? Oh, that's right; you've been right here. I'm the one that's wandered around in other things for several years. Ok, I have never ever tried the multi cut freezer paper thing. I'm going to give it a try. All of my attempts have amounted to entry level Origami. Making soap is so much easier than folding paper. This could possibly be a game changer.

I have that same mold and have had it for about a year or more. Have used it roughly 20 times, (not a lot obviously) but besides the oil/batter stains on the wooden box, the silicone insert still looks brand new, and is fine. I'm sure you don't need a higher end mold/liner, unless of course you want one that is a bit bigger.

If you are willing to do the freezer paper thing again, another suggestion is to do several of them at once and keep a master back for future use as a template. That can also save time.

I also have a very long loaf mold with thin silicone like that. The only drawback is that the silicone will flop around a bit if not taped. So I learned to tape the very top part of the edges of the long parts of the silicone to the wooden box. I tried using clips, but they got in the way. I use painters tape and it holds up pretty well for at least two or three soaping sessions.

Good you started with a non-melting plastic. There are some cheaper thinner plastic baggies that don't hold up well to the lye, as I sadly discovered earlier this month. They were a very very thin mil I don't even know where I got them as they had been lying around in a cupboard loose for quite a long time. The lye ate away at the seams it seems and they leaked through with soap batter.

But since you had success with the brand you have on hand, my suggestion is to stick to that brand and use only once before you change it out, just in case the lye weakens the plastic.

I have never had trouble with using plastic wrap in the oven for CPOP. Not once has any of them melted. I also use cardboard as lids and towels for insulation in CPOP as well and not once has any of them caught fire or burned either. I had someone ask me about that once. Even if I accidentally leave the oven on (which has only happened a couple of times) nothing untoward happens to the plastic wrap, cardboard or towels. But, of course I am not using 'broil' for CPOP. If that were the case, I'd surely have issues. ;)
The plastic bag I used was the white plastic Members Mark trash bags from WalMart. Just need to get some a bit smaller so as not to have to trim it down so much after lining.
My problem with the plastic wrap is handling it with the aforementioned ten thumbs. It ends up wrapped up around me or itself. GRRRR!
Do you use the cardboard and towels in the oven or did I read that wrong? I just wrap mine in towels after removing it from the oven.
Broil? Yes, that could create a whole new level of excitement.

Yes, you read that correctly. I use cardboard as 'lids' or covers on top of some of my molds & sometimes I use cardboard boxes as molds (my first slab molds were all cardboard boxes) or as a sort of tent cover on top of soap molds. I use small towels to cover the soap molds in the oven, too, just as added insulation to help hold the heat once the oven starts cooling down. It keeps the heat more focused on the soap rather than dissipating inside the mostly air-filled box that is my oven.

I do check temps once in awhile to verify a desirable heating situation. Once I know how well the method works with a particular recipe, I don't bother checking except at the start and at the end.

However, I rarely use a lot of heat-producing oils. I don't generally use a lot of CO, except for laundry soap or salt bars. In that case, I do not CPOP at all because 100% CO soap heats up very fast without any help whatsoever.

I agree. I have many of those and i have had to redo batches that came out wonky.

My homemade molds are probably 20 years old, all foot long logs. I used cut up plastic grocery bags for years. And several years ago I started using the very thin produce bags from the grocery. They stick to the wood after a light spritz of water. If I make a slab, then I’ll use a light weight garbage bag.

Nurture soap has a special on some of their molds at the moment.
Yes they’re expensive but they are fantastic - no sticking soap ever - if you are handy you can make your own wooden boxes.

I have HDPE molds and use freezer paper to line. While I DO HATE IT, I have learned that I do not have to do the ends as I cut those off. This makes it much easier to do.

I too have the purple wooden molds but they are too small for me. So unfortunately they are sitting aside for now
I can't understand people having HDPE molds and still lining them.

Latest posts

Back