Yay!!!Got a compliment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I finally let a family friend try a bar of my soap. After a couple of weeks, I called and asked how she liked it and she said she really liked it, it cleaned really good and she was saving it to use on just her face because she didn't want to waste it lol. Well she then told me that she had went to a farmer's market type place and had picked up a couple bars of homemade soap from there. I asked her who was the person selling it. She didn't know the name, and after describing her, I realized it wasn't the person I knew here, so I was asking her about it. She said the lady had been making soap for 15 years, so I told her that it should be good soap then. I asked her what all was in the soap, she said she didn't know, so I told her to look on the package. There were no ingredients listed. We get into a discussion of why this was not good--- I asked her if you have a reaction, how would you know what it was to? It could be a reaction to fragrance oil, essential oils or even one of the oils. Anyway I wasn't trying to put the person down, but in my mind if you have made homemade soap for 15 years, why would you NOT include the ingredients? Fast forward several weeks, she calls me and asks for more soap, I told her I would send her some. She then tells me that she tried the other soap, and my soap was so much better!!! Yay!!! She said mine seems to clean better and makes her skin feel better.

Yay, so happy for you!

When you get feedback that is the time you start to realize you are inded doing something right with carefully select ingredients. One thing is what we feel, but that outside feedback are so important to understand how others perceive our hard work. Well done!

And YES, I totally agree, no labeling of ingrediens is very, very bad!

15 years of soapmaking does not make a soaper grow an alien radar to what each person may or may not react to, that is where the labeling comes in.

Non-soapers may not (most of them don`t actually!) realize that soap can have food or liquids in it that they are allergic to, but never could imagine a piece of soap would contain! A girlfriend of mine had her jaw drop to the floor when I gave her a piece of 100% coconut soap with coconut milk in it as the only liquid. And that was just plain coconut milk, not pureed gold...

If someone is very allergic to bananas or strawberries, and a soap contains a puree of those ingredients, they may get a reaction to it. Even if the lye may or may not kill off/neutralize some allergens, how on earth can they protect themselves if they don`t even know a soap can have such ingredients?

Anyway, you came out looking better than the lady on the market, so seems you have a new Cavia porcellus to help you out!!

Congratulations! That is the most awesome feeling in the world, huh? Validation that all of your hard work and effort have not been in vain. You have a product you can be proud to share with family and friends and/or sell some day. Yay, you!

ditto, it is an awesome feeling when someone tells you how great your products are. It's what keeps us going. Not all soap is created equal.

Back