YASC - Yet Another Soap Calculator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just calculated a shaving soap recipe with 90% KOH and 10% NaOH.

Could someone check the results for my recipe? The KOH amount is way different than what I calculated elsewhere, and now I'm doubting which is correct.

Stearic Acid: 24.00 oz, 680 g (50%)
Coconut Oil: 11.52 oz, 327 g (24%)
Tallow: 9.60 oz, 272 g (20%)
Shea Butter: 2.88 oz, 82 g (6%
TOTAL OILS: 48 oz, 1361 g

Glycerin: 7.20 oz, 204 g
Water: 18.24 oz , 517 g
KOH: 6.19 oz, 175 g
NaOH: 0.69 oz, 19 g
Fragrance: 1.80 oz, 51 g

I just calculated a shaving soap recipe with 90% KOH and 10% NaOH.

Could someone check the results for my recipe? The KOH amount is way different than what I calculated elsewhere, and now I'm doubting which is correct.

Stearic Acid: 24.00 oz, 680 g (50%)
Coconut Oil: 11.52 oz, 327 g (24%)
Tallow: 9.60 oz, 272 g (20%)
Shea Butter: 2.88 oz, 82 g (6%
TOTAL OILS: 48 oz, 1361 g

Glycerin: 7.20 oz, 204 g
Water: 18.24 oz , 517 g
KOH: 6.19 oz, 175 g
NaOH: 0.69 oz, 19 g
Fragrance: 1.80 oz, 51 g

I just ran it against Soap Calc and there is a discrepancy. Assume the error is in my calc, but I will be back to you with the official update. :)

Edit:

Most certainly my error and it's specific to KOH. Will have an update for it sometime tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'd recommend increasing the maximum value on the fragrance calc. It is pretty conservative right now at 4% of oils. I often use 5 or 6% but have used up to 7. Not sure what the max should be for percentage of batter but I'd like to switch to thinking this way as it is the whole soap that fragrance ends up dispersing in, not just the oils. One thing for sure, I've always disliked the metric of "oz per pound" because the math is not intuitive. So I really like the option to pick which metric you want to use regardless of what metric you use to input the oils.

I have increased the fragrance maximum to 8%. The code will take effect when the KOH patch is released tomorrow :D

Thanks for the KOH patch!

Not a problem, thanks for informing me so I can fix it! I'm working on it though, I will post a reply with when it's live and update the op.

Edit:

The patch is now live with some changes.

Fixes:
Superfat bug
KOH bug

Removed:
Donut Chart (print issue)

Added:
HTML Table For Soap Properties

Last edited:
I love it that we are your development user group and testers :)

I worked for a couple of years on development of a wildlife observation database. Helped define the business needs, and coordinated between the developers and a small group of end users to define the functionality. My favorite part though was testing; it was so much fun playing around and trying to find bugs! I loved that job.

I love it that we are your development user group and testers :)

I worked for a couple of years on development of a wildlife observation database. Helped define the business needs, and coordinated between the developers and a small group of end users to define the functionality. My favorite part though was testing; it was so much fun playing around and trying to find bugs! I loved that job.

Well, I do appreciate you and everyone else taking the time to test it :) It's something a bit off the beaten path, and that kind of stuff always comes with challenges lol.

I've also added the fatty acid profiles to the page and the print sheet is almost complete, just 2 more things that wont disappear in the print sheet lol

Just uploaded BETA 1.4.2. I will work on the individual values and recipe saves next. We should be looking at RC1 in the next day or two :)

Added:
Printing

Fixed:
INS Bug where JS was not treating a number as a number. This cause multi-million INS values

http://www.sapo.space/app

Last edited:
Not a bug or issue, but nice-to-have would be checkbox-style list for adding oils. Or some other method for adding multiple oils at once, rather than picking them one at a time. Since I have a habit of formulating, calculating, reformulating, and recalculating, it may save some time.

Not a bug or issue, but nice-to-have would be checkbox-style list for adding oils. Or some other method for adding multiple oils at once, rather than picking them one at a time. Since I have a habit of formulating, calculating, reformulating, and recalculating, it may save some time.

I added multi-oil parsing in..I think 1.2. It follows standard select controls:

Click, then shift and click on another spot selects from the first selection to the next

Ctrl + Click simply adds to the selection

Ctrl + Shift + Click should add to the selection following "shift click" logic

This will change when I create the custom control for the ingredient window :)

Just a quick heads up, on mobile view, the properties chart now overlaps the weights chart. No biggie, just figured you might wanna know.

1453823287041.jpg

Just a quick heads up, on mobile view, the properties chart now overlaps the weights chart. No biggie, just figured you might wanna know.

If it's not that big of an issue, I'm going to leave it for now. In RC2 I'm going to change a LOT of stuff. I'm going to be implementing media queries in the JS and CSS side of things to set different view rules depending on the amount of screen you have available.

Does it have the same issue in landscape?

Yes it does I checked. And it's no big deal to me as it doesn't interfere with using it, I just figured you might want to know in case you haven't seen it yet. This was on the chrome app on my galaxy note 5 if that makes any difference.

Yes it does I checked. And it's no big deal to me as it doesn't interfere with using it, I just figured you might want to know in case you haven't seen it yet. This was on the chrome app on my galaxy note 5 if that makes any difference.

I absolutely want to know and thank you! Also, yes, environment information is essential to bug reports, but I do remember yours specifically :D

Sorry, it took longer than expected, but I have just uploaded Release Candidate 1 (RC1). This version includes several bug fixes, implements lye purity, implements weight display settings and introduces the settings dialog (accessible via the settings button in the upper right). This version also boasts a complete back-end re-write that sets the stage for recipe and settings saves. The server underwent some changes as well, with enhanced responses that cut network transactions by as much as 15% and 26% less data sent on the initial page request. This is just some of many mobile-friendly enhancements to come.

I have begun working on the custom control that will replace the oil selector. I should have this done in the next couple of days now that I am back at it.

Latest posts

Back