YASC - Yet Another Soap Calculator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHippies

Reaction score
I'm really not sure where to post this, but since the sticky for the calculators is here, I figured this is where I should. I also added a post to the Calculator thread, as I would like to submit it, but would like to talk a little more about it.

Currently, it is code-named: Project YASC (Yet Another Soap Calculator), however it is everything but. It features a modern, mobile friendly design that is ultra-compact and easy to use. It features recipe display and configuration on the same page, real-time updates and unlimited ingredients. At the launch of RC1 it will also feature unlimited saves via cookies.

It is currently in the BETA stage. The Donut Chart and Soap Presets do not currently function, but I will have these working in the next day or two. The print function is also currently disabled while I finish up the style sheet for printers. It does, however, currently calculate everything you would expect a soap calculator to and has all the common oils. Tell me what you think :)

Edit: (01-26-16) Version: BETA 1.4.2

Added:
Printing

Fixed:
INS Bug where JS was not treating a number as a number. This cause multi-million INS values

http://www.sapo.space/app

Last edited:
I like the sliders and the ability to mix NaOH and KOH :)

Suggestion - often KOH is sold as 90% pure, can you accommodate for that?

Are you offering the use of your calculator free of charge?

Yes, there will be a pro version that is much more in depth, but YASC will always be free :)

I like the sliders and the ability to mix NaOH and KOH :)

Suggestion - often KOH is sold as 90% pure, can you accommodate for that?

Actually, in accordance with the project origins (Sapo Desktop), all lye will be factored by their purity. I dislike the fact that SoapCalc assumes 100% purity. I should have this fixed with the soap presets :)

Haven't made it very far but see right away that I like the option to calculate superfat via increasing oils, and to calculate fragrance via percentage of oils or of batter :) Very nice!

Haven't made it very far but see right away that I like the option to calculate superfat via increasing oils, and to calculate fragrance via percentage of oils or of batter :) Very nice!

Thank you :D

Unfortunately, though, the HTML for the superfat drop down still point to "#" (a blank reference) rather than the function to switch it. I will get this fixed with the soap presets tonight or tomorrow. I'm feeling a little ill so will be taking a break from the project for the afternoon at least.

I would love a feature that would let me store non-soap recipes (lotion, lip balm, etc). It wouldn't need to do a lot calculations - just the ability to enter either percentages or the weights.

Will the paid version let you save recipes but not with cookies? For me, I don't use my phone for soap calculations - I print a sheet of paper that I can put with the batch. I don't want an expensive device near my soaping!

I would love a feature that would let me store non-soap recipes (lotion, lip balm, etc). It wouldn't need to do a lot calculations - just the ability to enter either percentages or the weights.

Will the paid version let you save recipes but not with cookies? For me, I don't use my phone for soap calculations - I print a sheet of paper that I can put with the batch. I don't want an expensive device near my soaping!

Yes, the paid version will have the ability to store recipes on the hosted servers. Each "company file" or recipe book will be stored in their own database so no one can grab information they are not privy to.

It will also cover everything from soap to lotion to bath bombs. This is a current snap shot of the Recipe Book View of Sapo (still *heavy* in development).

If there is enough interest I don't see why I can't pull code out of YASC and rebrand it as an abstract oil calculator on the same site

... For me, I don't use my phone for soap calculations - I print a sheet of paper that I can put with the batch. I don't want an expensive device near my soaping!

Also, funny that you should say that. I feel the same way, however most printers on the market today support "e-Printing" (which is stupidly named..it's all electronically printed..) from phones and tablets.

However, my potential sponsor dropped the project because I remarked that "It would be very clumsy to use any soap calculator on a screen as small as a phone and the required constant interaction could lead to cross contamination issues" Plus, I felt most soapers would feel the same as we do about having a couple hundred dollars potentially being splashed by lye. I didn't say you couldn't do it if you chose to..thats the type of design I went for. :think:

recipe-book.jpg

Just gave this a try on my mobile.

The sliders dont work on the lye concentration. I couldnt find the calculate recipe button and the drop down boxes looked oversized on my phone.

Sorry for all the bads but othervthan these issues it looked okay

Just gave this a try on my mobile.

The sliders dont work on the lye concentration. I couldnt find the calculate recipe button and the drop down boxes looked oversized on my phone.

Sorry for all the bads but othervthan these issues it looked okay

What phone/tablet are you using? I tested this on a Galaxy Tab and a LG GTab 8.1.

Also, don't feel bad. There is no such thing as a programmer who doesn't make bugs, and this software is very new. I expected a lot more issues than has actually been encountered, so it's going very smoothly atm.

There is no calculate button, it's all real-time :)

Last edited:
Lemme try this again. I lost my first post..

Here's my critique from my Galaxy Note 5 (haven't gotten on a computer yet).

1) I wish I could see the whole page at once instead if having to scroll up and down. See picture.

2) I would really love to be able to add all the oils at once instead of one at a time.

3) The lye concentration slider doesn't change the displayed concentration percentage, but the water amount changes in the table.

4) The total oil amount and the individual oil calculations seem to work separately. I calculated my oils for 1 pound, then I changed it to 36 ounces. The lye and water calculations changed, but the individual oil amounts stayed the same.

5) The soap properties chart doesn't appear to work as the properties never changed.

6) I would really like to see the total values in one measurement. Once you make a large enough batch of soap, it starts showing X kg XXX g. I don't know about others, but I would rather see it all in grams. Perhaps add in two other columns that show the amount in pounds and kilograms? Like a total oil weight in pounds, TO weight in ounces, TO weight in kilograms, TO weight in grams.

These are the glitches that I've noticed so far. I really like where you're going with this, though.

1453385724441.jpg

Lemme try this again. I lost my first post..

Here's my critique from my Galaxy Note 5 (haven't gotten on a computer yet).

1) I wish I could see the whole page at once instead if having to scroll up and down. See picture.

For this, there is only so much screen space on these devices. I also need it to be readable for the average age group of soapers. There will be changes to the phone scheme, but not that condensed, it would be unreadable to most. There is a known glitch with Android Portrait view where the browser is telling me I have less screen space than there actually is, so it does not stretch the whole screen. This will be fixed.

2) I would really love to be able to add all the oils at once instead of one at a time.

Easily fixed, I will put this on the task list for today

3) The lye concentration slider doesn't change the displayed concentration percentage, but the water amount changes in the table.

Again, easily fixed

4) The total oil amount and the individual oil calculations seem to work separately. I calculated my oils for 1 pound, then I changed it to 36 ounces. The lye and water calculations changed, but the individual oil amounts stayed the same.

Actually, the batter weight is dependant on the individual oil weight calculations. I will make sure that the function to update the text is being called in the update event for batch sizes

5) The soap properties chart doesn't appear to work as the properties never changed.

This is a known issue and will be fixed in the next couple of days. It is unimplemented and only there so there isn't any blank space :)

6) I would really like to see the total values in one measurement. Once you make a large enough batch of soap, it starts showing X kg XXX g. I don't know about others, but I would rather see it all in grams. Perhaps add in two other columns that show the amount in pounds and kilograms? Like a total oil weight in pounds, TO weight in ounces, TO weight in kilograms, TO weight in grams.

I'm sorry, this one I am against. At most, I could add a tool-tip that will display totals when hovering over ounces, pounds etc. However, I have never seen a scale that weighs more than a pound or two that doesn't use 1KG 100G display. This is the main reason I made this calculator...I spend more time converting SoapCalc weights for my scale than I have coding this calculator.

These are the glitches that I've noticed so far. I really like where you're going with this, though.

I assume you are looking for constructive critical comments. I hope so. :)

My largest issue is right when I load the page. This uses Java and that's a no-no for Chrome. Since I use Chrome almost exclusively, this makes the page feel "broken" each time I load it.

I'm not expecting you to fix THAT overnight, but it's just something for you to consider.

I assume you are looking for constructive critical comments. I hope so. :)

My largest issue is right when I load the page. This uses Java and that's a no-no for Chrome. Since I use Chrome almost exclusively, this makes the page feel "broken" each time I load it.

I'm not expecting you to fix THAT overnight, but it's just something for you to consider.

I absolutely am looking for constructive criticism!

Yes, this is javascript powered and the only way to get live updates. What is the issue on Chrome? I have only tested Chromium as that is what is available to us Linux nerds.

Most sites these days require Javascript for truly responsive designs. A responsive design is something every site must have to be listed in Google when the changes take effect this year...so you may be running into even more issues in the future if it's because you've disabled JS

EDIT:
Also, this project is based on Twitter's Bootstrap API, so cross-browser issues will be minimal at best. If you can use twitter, there should be no issue with the YASC site, as only calculations are added on top of it. There is a little bit of a network hang-up on Google Fonts, which the font will be hosted on the YASC server soon. It's possible Chrome is doing something special with the font renderings (I mean, they both come from Google) as it does look a bit different.

Last edited:
I'm liking the layout so far.

My immediate issue is with the imperial measurements. If I use 20 oz of olive oil, I read and measure in house as 20 oz of oil. The 1 lb 4 oz is a throw off that I have to take an extra step to calculate. I total my oil weight and measure altogether in oz. Maybe a drop down option to switch between lbs and oz?

Will there be a way to apply water substitutes (ie: milk, beer, puree, tea, etc) for the example of using half water replacements for strong lye solutions, and half replacement added at a later time in the recipe?

I'm liking the layout so far.

My immediate issue is with the imperial measurements. If I use 20 oz of olive oil, I read and measure in house as 20 oz of oil. The 1 lb 4 oz is a throw off that I have to take an extra step to calculate. I total my oil weight and measure altogether in oz. Maybe a drop down option to switch between lbs and oz?
So, you have a scale the measures out as 20oz, or are you measuring by volume? I can't tell you how many scales I've gone through in my life, and all of them have displayed as xxLb xxOz. My food scales and postage scales also display it this way. It wouldn't be hard to add a setting for that if there is a purpose. I've always assumed SoapCalc displayed it like this due to "lazy programming" because it's several extra steps to display it out as I do.

Will there be a way to apply water substitutes (ie: milk, beer, puree, tea, etc) for the example of using half water replacements for strong lye solutions, and half replacement added at a later time in the recipe?

Yes, this is something that has been requested, though I'm glad you asked. How it was requested before was additives like sugar, salt etc. I did not even think of the water replacements! I will add this as a candidate for RC2 :)

It's Java applets which are disabled. If you don't use one then I may be having a different issue.

https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

Ah, yes, I know of the issues with applets, but assumed you meant JS, my apologies. You are correct, there are no applets on the site, the only exception may be the ad slot as it might be set to responsive on Google's side.

Figures. I decided on a single ad on the site so it wouldn't be bogged down or cause issues..then I forget one mundane detail that throws it all off ;) -- Sorry, just watched Office Space again last night and couldn't pass up the reference!

My scale measures out in lb oz as 1:04.00. Maybe it's the 1 Lb 4 Oz format that is throwing me off. I still calculate my recipes in oz's though. I'm not sure if it's the habit created by soapcalc, or if it was just easier for me that way. :think:

So, you have a scale the measures out as 20oz, or are you measuring by volume? I can't tell you how many scales I've gone through in my life, and all of them have displayed as xxLb xxOz. My food scales and postage scales also display it this way. It wouldn't be hard to add a setting for that if there is a purpose. I've always assumed SoapCalc displayed it like this due to "lazy programming" because it's several extra steps to display it out as I do.

Mine does which is why I suggested it as the X lb XXX oz and X kg XXX g is confusing and I would need to calculate it out myself instead of reading off the measurements. My scale have measurements for ounces, pounds and ounces, pounds, grams, and kilograms. I'll try to attach some pictures.

1453394588266.jpg

1453394601599.jpg

1453394616199.jpg

1453394628330.jpg

1453394644719.jpg

Back