YASC - Yet Another Soap Calculator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My scale measures out in lb oz as 1:04.00. Maybe it's the 1 Lb 4 Oz format that is throwing me off. I still calculate my recipes in oz's though. I'm not sure if it's the habit created by soapcalc, or if it was just easier for me that way. :think:

The ability to create a recipe by weight will be available in version RC1 (Release Candidate 1). I did not want to include this in the BETA as I wanted more than an option to calculate a recipe by oz, and more than including metric. I want it to be able to switch back and forth between weight and percentage. I was unsure of the performance impact when BETA hit feature freeze, which means I can't add anything until the bugs are cleared and the project progresses to the next stage. So, it just simply missed this version :)

Mine does which is why I suggested it as the X lb XXX oz and X kg XXX g is confusing and I would need to calculate it out myself instead of reading off the measurements. My scale have measurements for ounces, pounds and ounces, pounds, grams, and kilograms. I'll try to attach some pictures.

You have a much better scale than me lol. I will add the setting :)

My scale is the same as hmlove1218. I too don't like the display on the calculator. I mostly measure in oz and grams.

I actually quite like it after staring at the pics. I never knew there were so many options for a scale..lol. What model is it? I had been looking at getting a new one, but the restaurant supply stores only carry rubbermaid around here. Not only are they the last company that comes to mind when I go scale shopping, but it had something like a 12lb limit. It was expensive enough for me to decide to use the one I have until I could afford a lab grade scale.

That's pretty cheap for the kind of scale it is. I stand corrected and feel like the only person that didn't know about it lol. I like the guard that's included in the KD8000. Same setup as the Rubermaid, but higher capacity and $130 less... My walmart carries all 3 varieties of Basic Living or whatever their brand is with the blue box as a logo, nothing else. We actually have a pretty pathetic kitchen section and the place is the size of our Sams Club, so it's not because it's a smaller store.

Edit:

Is this type scale common enough in the soaping world to reverse the defaults and have the current display as the option? Would it be acceptable to run a poll for this if it's unknown to you?

Last edited:
My scale is also from walmart and works in kg,g,lb (with the lb/oz display) and oz. I use either gram or oz but never use the lb setting or the kg setting. It doesn't make sense for me to do that since I like to keep all of my units for all additives the same across the board. To me, the display for the lb setting is cluttered so I'd be more likely to make a mistake. I work in fractions or percents in my head when I soap. I don't like using the lb/oz setting because I cant easily convert 1 lb 7.55 oz into 1.472 lbs or 23.55 oz. Its ok when using kg because the conversions are so intuitive but for lb/oz, not so much.

I also tried it on my phone and encountered many of the same problems that hmlove encountered.

I also noticed that when you switch to lye concentration, the slider doesnt change the main value. It still reads whatever the last setting for "water as % of oils" was set to.

Fixed:
Lye concentration text updates
Oil Amounts Updating on Batch Size Update

Added:
Ability to add multiple oils

Up Next:
Weight Display Settings
Soap Profile Chart Updates

Google chrome no longer (since sept 2015) supports Java. I have other programs that I can only run on Mozilla Firefox. There are some good things about Firefox other than the fact that it supports Java. It is annoying having to run two browsers but it is good to support the independents.

Google wants only its own programs.

It's Java applets which are disabled. If you don't use one then I may be having a different issue.

https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

Google chrome no longer (since sept 2015) supports Java. I have other programs that I can only run on Mozilla Firefox. There are some good things about Firefox other than the fact that it supports Java. It is annoying having to run two browsers but it is good to support the independents.

Google wants only its own programs.

I checked google's side and the ad is not set to responsive and does not allow video ads. All the components I use do not appear to use applets and the calculations and page interactions are all javascript (jQuery/Boostrap)..there should be no applet. I'm wondering if it's a specific ad that's doing it or a bug in a specific version of chrome? I checked with the last update I did and Chome (Android - 47.0.2526.83) and Chromium (OpenSuSE 42.1 - 47.0.2526.106 x64) seem to have no issue. If you continue to have issues, could I have a screenshot of what it's doing?

Seems to work for me. I am running Linux Mint 17.2 so firefox etc.

The print function does not seem to be enabled as yet but that's no big deal for me right now.
I too am one that will print a recipe and cure it right along with the soap. Much easier to track what soap it is and to know if the recipe is a keep as is or modify or "forgetaboutit".

What phone/tablet are you using? I tested this on a Galaxy Tab and a LG GTab 8.1.

Also, don't feel bad. There is no such thing as a programmer who doesn't make bugs, and this software is very new. I expected a lot more issues than has actually been encountered, so it's going very smoothly atm.

There is no calculate button, it's all real-time :)

Samsung S4 mini.
Just tried it again and it doesn't do anything after adding in oils, so I dunno if it just doesnt like my phone or what. It works perfectly fine on my pc using firefox

Samsung S4 mini.
Just tried it again and it doesn't do anything after adding in oils, so I dunno if it just doesnt like my phone or what. It works perfectly fine on my pc using firefox

It's simply a consequence of the software being newer and the codebase largely being unoptimized. For the mini it could be bogging it down and being caught etc. I do have an S4 at my disposal, so I will try when it returns home with it's owner ;)

Edit:

Actually after having thought about it (for a whole 3 more seconds lol), it may not be firing the events for the dynamic inputs on that phone..either way, I will look into it :)

Last edited:
Seems to work for me. I am running Linux Mint 17.2 so firefox etc.

The print function does not seem to be enabled as yet but that's no big deal for me right now.
I too am one that will print a recipe and cure it right along with the soap. Much easier to track what soap it is and to know if the recipe is a keep as is or modify or "forgetaboutit".

Glad to see a fellow Linux nerd 'round these parts ;) I will have the print function up an running sometime over the weekend

Glad to see a fellow Linux nerd 'round these parts ;) I will have the print function up an running sometime over the weekend

Made the mistake of "dual booting" one of three here. I couldn't get back on the machine until I got Jan's up and running. We now have every computer in the house on Linux. You couldn't pay me to go back.

Kinda like going back to store bought soap or... well the list goes on and on.:)

I'd recommend increasing the maximum value on the fragrance calc. It is pretty conservative right now at 4% of oils. I often use 5 or 6% but have used up to 7. Not sure what the max should be for percentage of batter but I'd like to switch to thinking this way as it is the whole soap that fragrance ends up dispersing in, not just the oils. One thing for sure, I've always disliked the metric of "oz per pound" because the math is not intuitive. So I really like the option to pick which metric you want to use regardless of what metric you use to input the oils.

Back