Quantcast

Xylitol (rather than Sorbitol) in soapmaking (for bubbles) - NOT tooth soapmaking

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Orla

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear all,
In France, Xylitol seems to be the thing and has more or less ousted Sorbitol - so Xylitol is easy to find but Sorbitol less so. The consensus seems to be that Xylitol is better for combatting mouth bacteria than Sorbitol. So, my question is: has anyone used it in regular soapmaking instead of Sorbitol?!! It's made from sugar from Birch trees as I understand it. Seeing as Sorbitol has such a good reputation among soapmakers, I was wondering if anyone has tested Xylitol with a view to the same end: increasing bubbles. I just bought a kilo in crystal form, so I will be able to test myself. However, I try to curb my experimenting impulses as far as possible as I take quite a few knocks with all the nonsense I get up to, and I think increasing my ratio of success to failure might be good for me...
PS I see loads of Xylitol stuff on the tooth soap threads, but I cannot find any on this bubbles issue...

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be interested to hear if anyone has tried this. I do have both on hand.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I did use xylitol it for tooth soap when I was doing that. But not for any other soap. I only have tablets (tiny ones); not the powder, so I had to crush them to add them to the tooth soap. I have them for mouth care, which is why I have the tablets.

How did it effect the soap? I added it for taste enhancement and wasn't even considering bubbles, so I can't say how it affected the soap overall as compared to a normal bar of soap that one uses on the body. This was only used in place of toothpaste. I don't use them anymore because I got kind of lazy about it and didn't really find they were any better than toothpaste.

Orla

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Earlene, it seems that the answer to my question "has anybody tried it?" might be a resounding "NO"!! I haven't tried yet either, and my recipe takes ages to cure, so I'll have to report back in a couple of months!!!

runnerchicki

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not tried Xylitol for soap - but I use sorbitol in every batch now because it is the BOMB for boosting bubbles.

Latest posts