WSP Thunderstorm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
I got a coupon from WSP for a free 2 oz FO for completing a survey, and I'm thinking about trying their Thunderstorm FO. The notes on it say that it accelerates a little and cure to pink, which is why I've been hesitant to give it a go. Does anyone have pictures of the amount of discoloration? It would be sort of tricky to design a thunderstorm soap that is pink. 😆 But hey, it would be free so I'm thinking of giving it a go. Anyone have any experience with this FO?

If it turns pink that means they put real geosimin in it. When it rains, the bacteria in the soil give off the chemical geosimin. It's "the smell of dust after rain" also called petrichor. It's also very expensive but very little is required to get the scent. It should change back after a couple months. At least it did for me. However, it did NOT sell. I love the smell of dust after rain. Apparently it isn't something most people do. I've had them call it "stinky" and "why would you make a soap that looks so pretty but smells so bad?".

I've had people say the same thing about patchouli. I used to make a soap where I blended patchouli EO and Earth from MMS--I called it Dirty Soap. It smelled really sexy on the skin. I had friends who LOVED it and always asked for it, and there were others who said "Why? It smells like dirt." I probably would do terrible if I tried to sell, because most of the things I like are pretty far off the mainstream, and if I'm gonna make a soap, I'm gonna like it.
:swinging:

Well I think I'm sold. I don't sell yet, so only my nose really matters. I love unusual/offbeat soap smells though, so I'll probably like it. I think I'll give it a go! Not that I really needed to spend $25 at WSP to get a FO I definitely don't need, but hey it feels great to feed my material purchasing addiction. :p

Well I think I'm sold. I don't sell yet, so only my nose really matters. I love unusual/offbeat soap smells though, so I'll probably like it. I think I'll give it a go! Not that I really needed to spend $25 at WSP to get a FO I definitely don't need, but hey it feels great to feed my material purchasing addiction. :p
Well, right now all their FOs are 25%off. I have the same coupon you do, but I can't come up with stuff I need to get to the $25.....

Well, right now all their FOs are 25%off. I have the same coupon you do, but I can't come up with stuff I need to get to the $25.....
You can't come up with stuff?! :eek: It was way too easy for me to get to $25. 😅 I'm not going to get any FOs though. My New Year's resolution was to not buy any more FOs until I've used at least half of what I already have.

You can't come up with stuff?! :eek: It was way too easy for me to get to $25. 😅 I'm not going to get any FOs though. My New Year's resolution was to not buy any more FOs until I've used at least half of what I already have.

I have a bazillion fragrances, molds, additives, several different cutters, bases, waxes, etc. I think I have enough FOs to last me three lifetimes. I love them, they're my guilty pleasure. And in terms of oils and additives, I think I could easily make 50 pounds of soap without having to buy a thing. I wish I was interested in selling, because it's really hard for me to justify making soap and stuff (after the Christmas gift rush) because I have boxes full of soap everywhere, but I love it and have all the ingredients on hand....and a head full of soaping ideas.
:dance:

I have a bazillion fragrances, molds, additives, several different cutters, bases, waxes, etc. I think I have enough FOs to last me three lifetimes. I love them, they're my guilty pleasure. And in terms of oils and additives, I think I could easily make 50 pounds of soap without having to buy a thing. I wish I was interested in selling, because it's really hard for me to justify making soap and stuff (after the Christmas gift rush) because I have boxes full of soap everywhere, but I love it and have all the ingredients on hand....and a head full of soaping ideas.
You are my hero. 😆

I started doing this sometime last year. It's hard and I've slipped a couple of times but I'm making progress. There should be a support group.
I succumbed. I wanted to see if their more expensive fragrances would also be included when using the coupon. And they are. :nodding:

I got some pump bottles, small jars, and colloidal oatmeal, which I have recently starting using a lot more often. I wanted to try their White Charcoal fragrance, which is normally $29 for 2 oz :oops: but it's included in their 25% off sale. I couldn't turn down getting a fragrance I was interested in for free, especially since it normally retailed for more than the total cost of the rest of my order. And I've been wanting pump bottles anyway........

I succumbed. I wanted to see if their more expensive fragrances would also be included when using the coupon. And they are. :nodding:

I got some pump bottles, small jars, and colloidal oatmeal, which I have recently starting using a lot more often. I wanted to try their White Charcoal fragrance, which is normally $29 for 2 oz :oops: but it's included in their 25% off sale. I couldn't turn down getting a fragrance I was interested in for free, especially since it normally retailed for more than the total cost of the rest of my order. And I've been wanting pump bottles anyway........
Well there you go - you really had no choice 🤣

I've had people say the same thing about patchouli. I used to make a soap where I blended patchouli EO and Earth from MMS--I called it Dirty Soap. It smelled really sexy on the skin. I had friends who LOVED it and always asked for it, and there were others who said "Why? It smells like dirt." I probably would do terrible if I tried to sell, because most of the things I like are pretty far off the mainstream, and if I'm gonna make a soap, I'm gonna like it.
:swinging:
Oh, I would love that soap!

Time to start donating soap to a local non-profit then. It's a win-win; they need and love receiving soap, and you get to clear out your stash AND make more - for a great cause!

Time to start donating soap to a local non-profit then. It's a win-win; they need and love receiving soap, and you get to clear out your stash AND make more - for a great cause!
I have actually thought about that, and if they would take boxes of loose soap they could have it. But all my batches are different recipes, and nothing is labeled or wrapped. I've asked about it here a couple times, and the consensus seems to be the soap should have ingredients labels and be packaged, I grudgingly to labels and package the Christmas soap, because they are set batches, but I put it off until the last minute because I hate doing that stuff so much. The idea of having to go back through all my records to identify random soaps to do ingredients labels is not something I want to do.

I have actually thought about that, and if they would take boxes of loose soap they could have it. But all my batches are different recipes, and nothing is labeled or wrapped. I've asked about it here a couple times, and the consensus seems to be the soap should have ingredients labels and be packaged, I grudgingly to labels and package the Christmas soap, because they are set batches, but I put it off until the last minute because I hate doing that stuff so much. The idea of having to go back through all my records to identify random soaps to do ingredients labels is not something I want to do.
I don't label or wrap my individual donated soaps. My husband drops off a box of unwrapped soaps at the shelter with a printout that says: These soaps may contain some or all of the following ingredients...

And then I list every oil and additive that I have used or may use in my soap. That way, if someone is concerned with any of those listed ingredients, they are aware not to use my soap. :)

Last edited:
I don't label or wrap my individual donated soaps. My husband drops of a box of unwrapped soaps off at the shelter with a printout that says: These soaps may contain some or all of the following ingredients...

And then I list every oil and additive that I have used or may use in my soap. That way, if someone is concerned with any of those listed ingredients, they are aware not to use my soap.
That's an idea. Thanks. I'll have to find out f they take unwrapped soap around here, because some places won't.

Latest posts

Back