WSP Silicone Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomS

Reaction score
I purchased 2 of the green silicone 3.5x8x2.5 loaf molds and one blue silicone 2.5x3.5x1.25 rectangular mold from Wholesale Supplies Plus (WSP) a month ago and here are my impressions of these products.

The loaf mold has reinforced sides that hold its shape. I can fill them to the top without any warping or bowing. Depending on your lye solution, you can plan on using 25-30 oz. of oil per loaf. I settled in on 27 oz. of oil using a 33% lye solution. This fills the mold to about ¼ inch below the top and gives me 8 perfectly sized (in my subjective opinion) bars every time. I can even plan it so that I have an additional 1 ounce bar for testing.

No lining is required. I found unmolding to be a breeze. I simply pull the sides to break the seal, then turn the mold over and push on the soap until the bottom seal releases. Once I get about ½ inch out of the mold, the loaf slides out the rest of the way itself. I have read posts to the contrary on unmolding, but I have not had any problems.

I have not experienced any color bleeding at all.

One potential concern is that there is some residual fragrance that lingers in the mold.

They are generally easy to clean. It is sometimes hard to get the very last bits of soap out of the corners. A warm water soak or a Q-tip does the trick.

The bottom of the mold is somewhat thin. This is a big advantage in unmolding, but lifting the mold by the edges should probably be avoided until the soap is set.

I have found that the soap gels fully all the way to the corners by just simply insulating with towels. I have not needed a heating pad or oven so far. (Note that I am in Texas and half the days in October are still in the 70’s and 80’s.)

Additional notes on the blue rectangular mold: The individual bars pop out of the mold very easily. This has become my testing mold. My test batch size is now a very efficient and economical 2 bars. An added bonus is that the size of the bars match the size of the bars I get from the green loaf mold. Think of the possibilities if, for example, you are testing to get a color just right. You can make 4 variations in the same mold at the same time, using only 1 lb. of oil.

Bottom line: In my opinion these are terrific products and I will be ordering more of them. Since these molds arrived, my $32 wooden mold has not seen the light of day.

Here is a photo of the uncut soap from the loaf mold:

Here is a photo of the soap cut from the loaf molds:

Here is a photo of soaps from the rectangular molds:

Tom

Great to know, I have been eyeing those individual rectangular molds for awhile. Would like them for the salt bars.

GREAT soaps and thanks for the comprehensive review!

I have silicone lined molds from 3 suppliers and while I worried about the fragrance contamination I've found it a non-issue. This said, I do keep one mold aside for "stinky" soaps = tea tree oil, 100% lemongrass, stuff like that.

But any residual scent from more "normal" FOs doesn't seem to transfer to the next batch.

If you are concerned you might try having "bakery" molds, "stinky" molds, and "fruity" molds. At the price WSP is charging it's a possibility.

wow. thanks TomS for the review. I have been looking at these molds and wondering how good they are. I have 4 wooden molds that I made that I am so tired of lining!!! one of my wooden molds makes about 15 bars of soap, so it would take two of these for one of my batches!! but i so appreciate getting info on these. now I think I will order one or two!!! yea!

berishell

Carebear - great idea setting aside molds for certain types of scents. This gives me a reason (okay excuse) to take advantage of their 5 for $60 deal. Thanks.

Yes, Thank You! I, too, have been eyeballing these molds but haven't tried them yet because I JUST spent big bucks on small handmade wooden molds (which have been a PITA, I have to say). Hopefully they'll still have them come income tax return time next year!

Thanks again.

I know someone who is selling theirs (I think she said she's used two of them once and that's it) - 5/$50 with shipping (US) included...
PM me if you are really interested.

I own two of the green silicone molds from WSP as well - they work great! They sometimes are a bit tricky to get the soap out of, but you just have to turn it over and give the bottom of the mold a good press to release the vacuum holding the soap in there. I find that recipes that use about 27-28 ounces of oil fill them nicely.

Christa

The lime green is the Select Shades Sea Holly at a usage rate of ¾ tsp per pound (of liquid plus oil). The color lacks the sage undertones that are shown on the Select Shades color charts, but since I was going for something Christmassy it worked out okay.

Thanks to Tom's post here, I bought both of those molds. I love and adore them! They are totally fantastic. They aren't super big but since they don't have to be lined, it would be so worth it to have several. I'm going to get more!

Thanks for your review Tom!

Latest posts

Back