wrong lye calcuation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musmar.firas

Reaction score
I have made charcoal and honey soap, the ingredients were as follows:

Coconut Oil, 76 deg200
Olive Oil202
Palm Oil200
Shea Butter150
Castor Oil50

everything was going great and i made the oil measures correctly as per above.
by mistake, i deleted the palm oil from the calculator so instead of adding 112 gram of Lye, I added 85 only and unfortunately I discovered that after 2 or 3 hours of pouring the soap in mold.
so what I did, i unmold it again to the bowl and added the missing portion of Lye with water and mixed it again - of course the soap was hard a little so i had to add more water than usual.

This happened 2 days back, but till now when i check it I find it still soft and not ready to unmold it.

can I advise if I need to re-batch it ?
I am thinking to make a new batch in hot process then I mix it with this one?

Ideas please?

I would not rebatch it assuming your soap now has the right amount of NaOH for the fats. All that will do is make the soap even more soft for no particular benefit.

One option to consider is to simply give the soap more time for some of the water to evaporate and let the soap firm up -- even a week or two.

Another option is to "rescue CPOP" the soap --

Warm up your oven to 170F (older ovens may not be able to do this). Cover a pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper or a heavy paper bag (don't put soap directly on anything aluminum). Put the soap mold on the pan and then put the whole thing into the oven (leaving the oven on).

Let the soap warm for about 1 hour, and then turn the oven OFF. Leave the soap in the oven while the oven cools if it is practical for you to do so. If you can't, then take the soap out of the oven and cover it with a towel so it will cool slowly.

After the soap cools to room temperature, see how it looks. If you have put a lot of extra water in the soap, it may still be softer than you might want. If so, I would then give it more time in the mold to let the water evaporate and the soap will continue to firm up.

Unfortunately it did not work well.
I put it in oven with same silicone mold for about 45 minutes but it melted more.
I poured it to another mold and covered it and will leave for a week then check it

Last edited:
Well, yes, it will melt. That's the point of heating it that high for that long. That's why you leave it in the mold.

You wanted it to firm up, right? Getting the soap warmed up to its gel temperature is the first step to getting that result. Unless your soap is radically different than mine (which is entirely possible), once the soap cools, it should firm up more than it was before you heated it. But I gather maybe this batch is messed up far more than mine ever are, so obviously YMMV.

Latest posts

Back