Wrinkly Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning! I wondered if anyone had some idea of soaping problem I am having with PVC pipe and freezer paper. My typical soap recipe into a tube lined with freezer. It is CPOP'd overnight and upon removing it, the paper is wrinkled as is the soap. I have done this with cardboard tubes, the same way, and the soaps are smooth. Is it an overheating issue? Should it not be CPOP'd and simply left out covered with a towel? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Their beautiful soaps and I am liking everything about these round soaps!

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 39
Is the mold slightly damp when you put the freezer paper in?

As an aside, I quite like the aesthetic.

I would hazard to guess that the heat of the PVC is causing the paper to wrinkle.

I actually don’t line my PVC tubes for this very reason; the paper always wrinkled, and I don’t even CPOP them.

My usual recipe comes out of the PVC tube just fine without a liner, as long as I put it in the freezer for about an hour, and then let it sit out for about 5 minutes to form some condensation. Then I turn it upside down; it usually slides right out, but if not, some taps on the table jar it loose straight off.

I will say that the success of the no-line PVC molds is very recipe-dependent for me. The few times that I have used any olive oil in my recipe, the soap does not come out easily at all. For those recipes, I’ve learned to use a Dollar Store cutting mat that has been trimmed to fit inside the tube. It makes a great reusable liner that doesn’t wrinkle.

I actually don’t line my PVC tubes for this very reason; the paper always wrinkled, and I don’t even CPOP them.

My usual recipe comes out of the PVC tube just fine without a liner, as long as I put it in the freezer for about an hour, and then let it sit out for about 5 minutes to form some condensation. Then I turn it upside down; it usually slides right out, but if not, some taps on the table jar it loose straight off.

I will say that the success of the no-line PVC molds is very recipe-dependent for me. The few times that I have used any olive oil in my recipe, the soap does not come out easily at all. For those recipes, I’ve learned to use a Dollar Store cutting mat that has been trimmed to fit inside the tube. It makes a great reusable liner that doesn’t wrinkle.
Thank you. That gives me a good idea as I have laminator. I use those sheets to seal my loaf molds and help prevent soda ash. I could seal a sheet and try using that as liner. Worth a try.

My bet is that the moisture from the soap dough makes the paper wrinkle. PVC is water-proof, so no water vapour can escape from the freezer paper (like it could when inside the cardboard tube), and stays inside/expands the paper instead.

Do you pay attention to the running direction of the paper? The wrinkles appear to be parallel to the tube axis, i. e. the “soft” direction of the paper is the one along the curvature; if you put it in rotated by 90°, the soft direction is parallel to the cylinder and the paper should wrinkle less. You can simply test this by wetting a small piece of the paper on one side, it will wrinkle and roll into a cylinder arc; it makes a difference if you put the paper into the cylinder along this axis of “natural” curvature, or perpendicular to it.
Or use some other lining material that isn't paper/wood based and water-repellent (baking mat, plastic foil, X-ray films).

I also do not use a liner since my first few batches were wrinkly. I make sure I put sodium lactate in the batch and I have not had a problem getting them to release. I think the PVC pipe does hold the heat. I usually stick my batches in the fridge and twice my dish soap batches had a mini volcano, so I probably should have stuck them in the freezer. I like your idea of the cutting matt. I wonder if there are ones with a decorative texture? I will check my dollar store once we are finished our Provincial lockdown.

I also do not use a liner since my first few batches were wrinkly. I make sure I put sodium lactate in the batch and I have not had a problem getting them to release. I think the PVC pipe does hold the heat. I usually stick my batches in the fridge and twice my dish soap batches had a mini volcano, so I probably should have stuck them in the freezer. I like your idea of the cutting matt. I wonder if there are ones with a decorative texture? I will check my dollar store once we are finished our Provincial lockdown.
Yes, you can definitely use an impression mat that is cut to size, and thank you for reminding me that I've been wanting to try that! ! I haven't seen those in the Dollar Store, but they are pretty cheap on Amazon, Etsy, etc.

My bet is that the moisture from the soap dough makes the paper wrinkle. PVC is water-proof, so no water vapour can escape from the freezer paper (like it could when inside the cardboard tube), and stays inside/expands the paper instead.

Do you pay attention to the running direction of the paper? The wrinkles appear to be parallel to the tube axis, i. e. the “soft” direction of the paper is the one along the curvature; if you put it in rotated by 90°, the soft direction is parallel to the cylinder and the paper should wrinkle less. You can simply test this by wetting a small piece of the paper on one side, it will wrinkle and roll into a cylinder arc; it makes a difference if you put the paper into the cylinder along this axis of “natural” curvature, or perpendicular to it.
Or use some other lining material that isn't paper/wood based and water-repellent (baking mat, plastic foil, X-ray films).
I have not, but will the next tube of soap I make. Also, will keep it out of the oven :)

Yes, you can definitely use an impression mat that is cut to size, and thank you for reminding me that I've been wanting to try that! ! I haven't seen those in the Dollar Store, but they are pretty cheap on Amazon, Etsy, etc.
I went to Amazon and bought cheap, thin silicon mats, cut them to size and they work great

I just tried lining with parchment paper. The outside wasn't smooth but, the very fine "wrinkles" if that's what you want to call them went around the circumference, they weren't linear along the length. I'm still trying to find the best way with PVC.

Latest posts

Back