Wrestlers' soap?

Discussion in 'Recipe Feedback' started by MGM, Nov 5, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 5, 2019 #1

MGM

MGM

MGM

My 13 y o is now into wrestling and we were told to use an anti-fungal shampoo for ringworm, etc. Selsun blue or something was recommended, which AFAIK, is more to slough off dead skin cells when you have dandruff which might be caused by a fungus (or psoriasis or dry skin or a yeast), but isn't actually anti-fungal on its own. I started thinking about a soap...TTO, eucalyptus oil, neem oil, pine tar....what else to throw into this thing?
    And, what base recipe would you recommend? Higher on cleansing, I guess...anything else to consider?
    I will likely do more research and buy a proper anti-fungal wrestling shampoo (suggestions, if you have them!), but I'm thinking the rest of him could do with a soap.

2. Nov 5, 2019 #2

Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Supporting Member

Along the line of "sloughing off dead skin cells" maybe some activated charcoal? I found my bar exfoliating.

Have you considered a lotion? Since its a leave on product you are likely to get more of the antifungal properties of your oils that will likely just get eaten up by the lye in a soap.

3. Nov 5, 2019 #3

MGM

MGM

MGM

Yes, I don't think we're actually looking for an exfoliant; I just know that that's what salicylic acid in dandruff shampoos does (but I don't think they really treat the fungal part of it all. I need to do more reading to be sure). We definitely will use a lotion if there is an actual infection, but the soap part is classic cleansing...not trying to "heal" or "treat", just trying to *wash off the ringworm*, etc. etc. and thinking that a souped-up soap is the way to go. Apparently both neem and TTO retain their anti-fungal/viral properties post-lye---I was surprised! (Of course I also need to look into skin-safe %, too).

4. Nov 5, 2019 #4

Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Supporting Member

This is really interesting! From everything I've read it seemed there was nothing conclusive that any properties of oils/additives would survive the lye. I have some Neem but haven't got around to trying it yet.

I'd be interested in hearing what you come up with :)

5. Nov 5, 2019 #5

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Selsum blue contains selenium sulfide which is indeed a anti fungal.
    I don't know if I would trust lye soap to be used as medicine in this case.

6. Nov 6, 2019 #6

MGM

MGM

MGM

I can't find the article (that someone on this forum posted) about tea tree surviving and being antibacterial....grrr..I know they always say "search the forum" but I can't find things that I know I posted on here. Maybe I'm a bad searcher. Will keep looking in my spare time ;-)

7. Nov 6, 2019 #7

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna