Wrapping soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shrink wrap mine. they will shrink when you leave them open, plus I personally don't like my customers touching my bars. I just leave a small sample out on display so everyone can smell my FO or EO you can also use saran wrap which will work.

I don't have a shrink wrap system,( on a tight budget) but I use the pouches, a heat gun and a straighten iron from when I worked in a salon.
also have heard people using a hot plate just a quick drop to seal.

hope this helps

countrygirl@heart said:
I shrink wrap mine. they will shrink when you leave them open, plus I personally don't like my customers touching my bars. I just leave a small sample out on display so everyone can smell my FO or EO you can also use saran wrap which will work.

I don't have a shrink wrap system,( on a tight budget) but I use the pouches, a heat gun and a straighten iron from when I worked in a salon.

hope this helps

i usually use the stretch tite wrap but decided to try the shrink wrap so it would take less time. i bought the pouches and am using a blow dryer. is the heat gun better? i have never used one. i also have a flat iron but wouldn't know how to use it on shrink wrap. i was wondering how exactly do you seal the end. i have extra plastic on the end of my soap and if i shrink it too much it leaves a hole open on the end but if i shrink it only a little on that end it will fold over and stay put. the problem is it doesn't look all that pretty on that end. should i cut some off or is there a way to seal the end tight and flat?

thanks!

llineb said:
countrygirl@heart said:

hope this helps

i usually use the stretch tite wrap but decided to try the shrink wrap so it would take less time. i bought the pouches and am using a blow dryer. is the heat gun better? i have never used one. i also have a flat iron but wouldn't know how to use it on shrink wrap. i was wondering how exactly do you seal the end. i have extra plastic on the end of my soap and if i shrink it too much it leaves a hole open on the end but if i shrink it only a little on that end it will fold over and stay put. the problem is it doesn't look all that pretty on that end. should i cut some off or is there a way to seal the end tight and flat?

thanks!

This is my process and I'm sure there are many ways to do this, but for me this is what i do.
1. stuff soap into pouch
2 then i take my straightening iron ( this iron is only for my shrink I don't use it on my hair) and do a quick seal all the way around my bar.
3 i trim any excess off at this time.
4. then I use the heat gun. I find I need to work quickly this gun is gets very hot and you can burn your self. keep the gun in motion constantly or a hole will develop. I make sure that my edges get turned over to the underside of my bar or flat on the sides than I can place a label on the back and try to hide some of the shrink wrap.
I have not use a blow dryer I heard they do not get hot enough, so I just didn't bother to try it.
It is not a perfect system but works for me at least until i can afford something different.

countrygirl@heart said:
llineb said:
[quote="countrygirl@heart":t1kpwbbj]I shrink wrap mine. they will shrink when you leave them open, plus I personally don't like my customers touching my bars. I just leave a small sample out on display so everyone can smell my FO or EO you can also use saran wrap which will work.

hope this helps

thanks!

This is my process and I'm sure there are many ways to do this, but for me this is what i do.
1. stuff soap into pouch
2 then i take my straightening iron ( this iron is only for my shrink I don't use it on my hair) and do a quick seal all the way around my bar.
3 i trim any excess off at this time.
4. then I use the heat gun. I find I need to work quickly this gun is gets very hot and you can burn your self. keep the gun in motion constantly or a hole will develop. I make sure that my edges get turned over to the underside of my bar or flat on the sides than I can place a label on the back and try to hide some of the shrink wrap.
I have not use a blow dryer I heard they do not get hot enough, so I just didn't bother to try it.
It is not a perfect system but works for me at least until i can afford something different.[/quote:t1kpwbbj]

ok, this makes since. i have an old flat iron i will use to seal the edges. this was my problem since it was leaving an open side and i was afraid it would let air in and make the soap sweat. thanks for the tip!!!!!!!!!

I used to use shrink wrap but its just easier and faster for me to use saran wrap. In the cold winter months i don't use saran wrap just freezer paper and then wrap it up in tissue paper with a ribbon and label.

I am going to Sally's this weekend for a flat iron! Great tip, thanks so much.

Back