Wrapping soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xraygrl said:
Dans Bands are from MMS. They are a clear shrink wrap band. You slide the soap inside, then shrink it. Like I said the ends are open. I will take pics of that tomorrow too....not sure you will see much of anything as they are clear, but I'll give it a shot.

FYI somebody mentioned tissue paper. You can use tissue paper, but you have to use the NON-Bleeding tissue paper.

Thank you. I love that idea. I like my packaging and so do the people that buy them but it is time consuming and more expensive. They also don't fit nearly as well in flat rate boxes. I'll have to check these out...

I'm still working this one out myself.
I'm down to (I think) two possibilities.

First - Polyolefin shrink wrap.
Pros: You can see AND smell through it.
Cons: I don't have a good impulse sealer to cut it properly and it's a lot of work to wrap, shrink, and label each soap.

Second - Cardboard box with window opening.
Pros: Pretty easy to box up a soap and label it. And you can smell and SORTA see the soaps.
Cons: You can't see the soaps as well as with shrinkwrap and it COULD get expensive... but I have some ideas to reduce the cost.

I've also used coffee filters which are cheap and easy to work with... but you can't see the soaps... though you can smell them.

I usually just use dan's bands and shrink them with a business card in it with all the info. Now I'm looking for biodegradable shrink bags or might just end up using real cello that breaks down. I wish I could use boxes, but in this humidity forget about it. Tissue paper for me never worked either the color usually bleeds through and it sticks to the soap.

What a fabulous idea, is there any chances of DOS being an issue even though the bar is only partly covered?

I never had any issues with DOS with this, and I think that is more related to your recipe than method of wrapping. I didn't use any canola.

I have never tried, but it was suggested to me to try floral tissue paper. It is waxed on one side!!

I too am at that point of how to "dress" these babies!!!!

I did a few with a label as big as the front of the soap then tied a piece of gingham fabric around(I had riped it, very country looking). Was cute but I wasn't sure if it was enough, then I ran out of the fabric and couldn't find more!!
So I am back to the begining!!

Just an idea - what about saving some of the scent and then gently putting some on the ribbon. (stick your ribbon in the same vial as the scent and make sure it infuses real good!) That way you can get a hint of the scent and cover your bar - I dont like "fingermarked handled" soap bars. I shrink wrap and put the ribbon/band over. Is this cheating? I've done it more than once, I told the peops that the ribbon was scented in the same scent as the soap - They were happy, I was happy. Sometimes it helps to have a tester bar as well!

Mine are bare naked at the market and I ask the customer if they would like a label (it's just a cigar band).

Since my bars are quite colourful, I like the customer to see the full impact of a table filled with them.

About 70 percent of the customers want a label...the rest say 'no thanks, I'll just be ripping it off as soon as I get home anyway'. In every purchase I put an info sheet with a broad list of the ingredients I use and with info about where to purchase more.

misty said:
Bunny, what are french fry wrappers.....

I'm not Bunny, but french fry wrappers are those white glassine bags that french fries are usually served in. They are what I use for my wrapping, although I cut them into rectangles now to tightly wrap my soap in present-style. If you click on the link below to my soap bragging site and scroll all the way down to the bottom you'll see what they are and how I used to use them a couple of years ago before I started cutting them to wrap my soap in a more form-fitting way.

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
If you click on the link below to my soap bragging site and scroll all the way down to the bottom you'll see what they are and how I used to use them a couple of years ago before I started cutting them to wrap my soap in a more form-fitting way.

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

IrishLass :)

I clicked - and am in jaw-dropped awe of your amazing looking soap - absolutely beautiful!!!

Yes, IrishLass is right, it's those little paper things they stuff french fries in. I don't have any pics right now, but I can take some. :) Mine are not fancy... I just stamp the wrappers with my name stamp and put one of my business cards in each wrap with the soap bar. I just moved recently and all my soaping stuff is still packed up! But I will take some pics and post them. And by the way IrishLass, your soaps are gorgeous! Very very nice.

cdwinsby
In every purchase I put an info sheet with a broad list of the ingredients I use and with info about where to purchase more.

By broad do you mean 'a list to cover all your soaps you have available?'

That would save tons of time and paper and ink!!!

I heard glassine bags don't work too well in humidity anyone have any ideas what would work?

Dixie said:
cdwinsby
In every purchase I put an info sheet with a broad list of the ingredients I use and with info about where to purchase more.

By broad do you mean 'a list to cover all your soaps you have available?'

That would save tons of time and paper and ink!!!

Yes....I wanted people who refuse labels to at least have something to view that gives them an idea of what is in the soap. It reads like this:

"Ingredients*: Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Water/Aqua, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil (Hemp Seed Oil), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Camellia sinensis seed oil, Coconut Milk (Organic coconut milk, water, guar gum), Calendula Officinalis Flower, Colloidal Oatmeal, Theobroma Cacao Powder, Coffea Arabica Powder, Silk Peptide, Kaolin, Oxide, Mica, Ultramarine, Parfum*

*Jovia Handmade Soaps contain a variety of the above listed ingredients and are scented with either essential or fragrance oils or a combination of the two. "

Here in Canada, Health Canada requires all soaps and body products to have the ingredients listed on the product. This is hard to do if the customer doesn't want it. Hense the info sheet.....plus it reminds them of who they bought the soap from and more importantly, where they can buy more!! :D

That is fabulous. I think I will be copying your idea. I get so frustrated making a seperate copy for each batch. And then there are times when I wish I didn't have to put a label on my pretty packaging :)
Thanks

cdwinsby said:
*Jovia Handmade Soaps contain a variety of the above listed ingredients and are scented with either essential or fragrance oils or a combination of the two. "[/i]

I just have to tell you , that your site was such an inspiration to me when I started soaping . Beautiful soap and fantastic information . I love the way you make your soap . Thank you.

kitn

cdwinsby said:
*Jovia Handmade Soaps contain a variety of the above listed ingredients and are scented with either essential or fragrance oils or a combination of the two.
do labels of this sort - "may contain" - meet Health Canada's strict rules for labeling?

thank you IrishLass & Bunny, I don't recall seeing french fry wrappers like that where I live....I really like them!

My goodness, Irish Lass, your soaps are absolutely gorgeous!!!! You are a true artist and it would almost seem a shame to use them because they are so beautiful to look at. Bravo to you.

Latest posts

Back