Wrapping soap for gifts...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
I have no printer so I can't make proper labels, and I am just making for myself and gifts at this point. I want to include the ingredients of the soap on the bar. Any ideas on doing this, with a handwritten type label, etc. that doesn't look tacky? TIA.

Do you have access to brown Kraft paper to make cigar labels? Or sandwich bags from Target's "If you care" glassine bags? I've also distributed bars with no labels because most of the time, people only want to know the scent.
I can get brown kraft paper, yes. Where to go from there to add writing.. Put a label with handwritten info? I suppose I can give with no labels, but just a preference.

When I was gifting some soaps to the butcher (as a thank you for the free tallow), I used brown parcel paper to make individual bags for the soaps, and wrote directly on the paper (before putting the soap in). I just put the soap name/fragrance on one side and the ingredients in as small and neat writing as I could manage on the other. I think the effect was pretty good.

Handwritten ingredient lists can look perfectly nice! I’ve written on bags, hang tags and kraft stickers. I get the best results when I use a fine point sharpie-type marker or a fine tip pen that keeps my writing looking crisp. You can dress a handmade label up a bit with a decorative stamp if you have one.

My first soap tag was twine then a very small tag i string through. then tied in back of soap, Hand written.

Then I used brown paper cut out a cigar band & printed the soap info & wrapped it around soap. Now I print either a 2" circle or square in shape adhesive paper' shrink wrap & put label on the outside of soap. If I run out of the tag labels I'll print it on regular paper & put tag on the inside of the shrink wrap.

I use "Avery.com for all my labels' they have free templates & many different styles you can print yourself, or order it printed right from "Avery" or take it to Office Max or a printing place have them print it for you.

I'll look for Wrapping Paper on sale' "heavy duty is my favorite" if I find a print I like I'll use that to wrap entire bar soap or cut out a cigar band.
The possibilities are endless 💫

Last edited:
When I started out, all my labels were hand-written. Keeping it neat and legible was the challenge, as when my hand tires, my writing gets sloppy. That's why I eventually moved to printed labels for my soaps. But I stuck with hand written labels for about 2 years, I think, maybe 3.

I determined size of labels, cut a template so I would know how much space I had for writing and then do a practice label and see how it fit. After a couple of trial and error runs, I was able to do my hand-written labels pretty well without much waste. I still have some of those soaps.

The front was the name of the soap and the weight; the back was the ingredient of the soap. I put the made-on date where ever it would fit (front, side or back, as needed).

The front was the name of the soap and the weight; the back was the ingredient of the soap. I put the made-on date where ever it would fit (front, side or back, as needed).
I would add to that, even if you are gifting the soap, it's good to add an email addy or other contact info so they can easily contact you for more soap! ;)

Latest posts

Back