Wrapped too soon?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeggieOPeach

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new on the platform along with being a novice in the soapmaking arena. For my first batch I think I did pretty okay, so I waited for about 2 to almost 3 weeks before I decided to wrap my bars of soap. I wrapped them in cellophane because at the moment I cannot find shrink wrap, but now I am wondering if I wrapped my bars too soon? I don't want my bars to go rancid, and I am wondering if it is possible for them to still cure after being wrapped? Will the soap become wet with moisture? I need some clarification before I give my bars away.

- VeggieOPeach.

Are these CP bars? If so, I think you wrapped too soon. I'd give them a 6 to 8 week cure before wrapping.

I agree with Obsidian. Wrapped too soon. No they won’t continue to cure if sealed in plastic. Real cellophane (made from wood) breathes but cellophane made from plastic does not.

Handmade soap gets better over time. Curing for 12 months makes a fabulous soap. The longer the better. I don’t wrap a soap until I’m about to give it away or sell. Mine are high OO soaps so that is a minimum of 9 weeks cure but usually 12 weeks or longer.

I agree with the previous posts also.

If they are CP soap, I personally wouldn't wrap them at all. CP soap needs exposure to air in order to evaporate the water in the bar. The curing process is what contributes to the quality of the soap. I don't even test a bar until it is 4 weeks old and then I let it continue to cure for at least 1 - 2 months more before testing again. Then at 6 months I will let others have some if I am happy with the soap. I have some that are now 8 months old because I felt like they were not ready at 6 months.

Latest posts

Back