WOW! What Do You Think Of This Mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant idea -- but much too heavy for me once filled to capacity -- and expensive! Also, I see problems with lining it. And another thing, wood molds do warp over time -- even those made from white Birch which is what I have -- and good care needs to be taken to prevent accidents such as an oil leak (for whatever reason) that stresses the wood.

Before I committed to buying one, I would ask myself, how often would I actually use each and every one of the options?

Last edited:
Brilliant idea -- but much to heavy for me once filled to capacity -- and expensive! Also, I see problems with lining it. And another thing, wood molds do warp over time -- even those made from white Birch which is what I have -- and good care needs to be taken to prevent accidents such as an oil leak (for whatever reason) that stresses the wood.

Before I committed to buying one, I would ask myself, how often would I actually use each and every one of the options?

Yes…many of your points are things I was wondering about too. Especially lining the sections. I’m good at lining, but this would take a lot of work to make perfect templates for each version. I was thinking if each section came with silicon liners I would buy it in a heartbeat! It’s frustrating that there is always something that makes these things just short of perfect. It’s why I have so many molds and soaping tools! 😁

That looks amazing!

Once upon a time, I had a wooden slab mold that used oven-liner pieces cut to size for each side and bottom surface of the mold. They worked perfectly. There were zero leaks, even though I didn't tape the edges together. What's great is that when you are done, you wipe down the pieces and store them flat, taking up almost no room.

I bet the seller would give you dimensions for the inside of each potential cavity. Then you could cut your own liner pieces out of oven liner, dollar store cutting mats, silicone mats, etc. Or maybe he would do it for you as a special order?

I'm doing my best to enable you here.... 🤣

I would only consider it if they make a full silicone liner for the mold that the sections will fit into. You do not line the sections you line the entire mold and then add in the section pieces, at least that is how I would handle the mold.

In my opinion, it would depend on the reason you want the mold if selling I find customers want consistent size soaps so it takes numerous molds of the same size. If for home use do you need such a big mold? Just something to think about. Keep in mind that I look at things from a seller's point of view, not as a hobbyist.

I would only consider it if they make a full silicone liner for the mold that the sections will fit into. You do not line the sections you line the entire mold and then add in the section pieces, at least that is how I would handle the mold.

In my opinion, it would depend on the reason you want the mold if selling I find customers want consistent size soaps so it takes numerous molds of the same size. If for home use do you need such a big mold? Just something to think about. Keep in mind that I look at things from a seller's point of view, not as a hobbyist.

Excellent points and advice. Thank you. I do sell and although my bar size is relatively consistent I still have a couple different molds I use as my favorite ones make too many bars per batch for my small business right now as I have so many scent choices and they start adding up. Lol. The lining issue is definitely problematic for me too.

Excellent points and advice. Thank you. I do sell and although my bar size is relatively consistent I still have a couple different molds I use as my favorite ones make too many bars per batch for my small business right now as I have so many scent choices and they start adding up. Lol. The lining issue is definitely problematic for me too.
I used the same size hdpe molds for all my soaps. They do come in different sizes and I know you know but do have to be lined. I would just have all mine lined and ready to go. I love the hdpe molds because they are easy to wash and store. I did sell off most of mine but would re-buy the same molds if I resume soapmaking after I move. Silicone molds just did not work out well for me nor did wood molds. My 18" hdpe molds cut 14 bars at 1.25" each, which my customers really liked.

I used the same size hdpe molds for all my soaps. They do come in different sizes and I know you know but do have to be lined. I would just have all mine lined and ready to go. I love the hdpe molds because they are easy to wash and store. I did sell off most of mine but would re-buy the same molds if I resume soapmaking after I move. Silicone molds just did not work out well for me nor did wood molds. My 18" hdpe molds cut 14 bars at 1.25" each, which my customers really liked.

I need to try a good quality HDPE mold to see what I think. They have always intrigued me. So many people hate them as they thought once they got them they wouldn’t have to line anymore but I don’t mind lining at all. As you noted…storage is a huge plus. I have a very small house.

I need to try a good quality HDPE mold to see what I think. They have always intrigued me. So many people hate them as they thought once they got them they wouldn’t have to line anymore but I don’t mind lining at all. As you noted…storage is a huge plus. I have a very small house.
I like you can take them apart, clean and store them. I stacked mine on a rack and always had them lined and ready to fill. Sometimes I lined the ends sometimes I did not line the ends and just made a slip liner for them. Along with keeping my molds clean and lined I also precut my freezer paper so it was ready to go. Lining molds did not bother me at all. These were the ones I used, but I do not recommend the cutter one. I found it to be useless. HDPE 5-6 Lb Slab Loaf Soap Molds & Bar Cutter Set Wood Wooden Lids AvaL 796762715381 | eBay

I like you can take them apart, clean and store them. I stacked mine on a rack and always had them lined and ready to fill. Sometimes I lined the ends sometimes I did not line the ends and just made a slip liner for them. Along with keeping my molds clean and lined I also precut my freezer paper so it was ready to go. Lining molds did not bother me at all. These were the ones I used, but I do not recommend the cutter one. I found it to be useless. HDPE 5-6 Lb Slab Loaf Soap Molds & Bar Cutter Set Wood Wooden Lids AvaL 796762715381 | eBay
Hi!
I actually have both the large multi-mold and the HDPE 5-6 lb molds. The large wood mold is a great quality mold made by a Craftsman who takes pride in his work! He was very helpful and sent me an addition because the size I wanted wasn’t there. He went above & beyond to assist! Of you choose to purchase this mold, then your Paper Lining Game must be strong!🤣. I do not use it as often as I thought I would, yet nice when I do! As for The HDPE Molds, they, too must be lined with freezer paper because the soap sticks. They, too, are not used that often. I do love the way they come apart but not my Favorite Mold! Blessings!

It looks amazing. The possibilities! Anyone have any experience with it. Reviews are glowing.

And the problems:

1) Lining that sucker. The three 'logs/loaves' are going to be a challenge as it is, but once you get beyond that, it would be a freaking nightmare. What would make more sense is to have HDPE dividers and fitted silicone mats for bottom and sides.

2) Lack of size consistency across all the configurations which is a major deal for me and why I have the number of molds that I have.

3) Warping. Unless you are going to fill that mold all the time, you're going to have uneven heating and pressure on the wood dividers.

4) Weight. 25lbs of soap is a LOT friggin' soap to handle in the first place. And if you're going to make soap without filling up the entire mold, you're going to have to consider weight distribution...say only filling up half the mold, or two-thirds or three-quarters.

5) Design. Some of the configurations would be problematic unless you are making something really simple...like maybe layers or a single color...as there isn't a lot of room to maneuver.

6) Timing. You're really going to have to know your batter really, really well, along with scent and colorants, and plan your designs carefully when making three or move soaps. I once made a 14lb batch and sub-divided it into seven different soaps with different colorants, scents and techniques in a different molds...it took me several hours to plan it out and then another couple just to get everything set up.

I can also see some problems with the pins and holes. As seen in the last photo, the pins are made to stick out of holes to make them easier to take out, but that's not going to work with the interior pins for configurations for 1, 2, 4 and 6...those pins would have to go all the way in except for the head of the pin. Not only is this going to create a 'bump' in your bar if you use the entire mold, but then you get to have fun getting them back out. Two ways would be pliers or flathead screwdriver, but then you run the risk of damaging the wood. Another way would be to pull the connected pieces out, pull the apart and the tap them back out. Problem with this is that over time, you will 'ping' the end wider than the hole and will then have to file or get new pins. Another issue is that the holes are just bare wood. While maybe not quite as much as issue on the sides of the mold itself, but I can see future problems with the holes on the end pieces. If it was me, I would be drilling the holds a little wider and install brass bushings. I know that I try to be as neat and I can and take good of my equipment, but in the end, it's still plywood and we're going to spill soap batter and we're going to clean with water.

And the problems:

1) Lining that sucker. The three 'logs/loaves' are going to be a challenge as it is, but once you get beyond that, it would be a freaking nightmare. What would make more sense is to have HDPE dividers and fitted silicone mats for bottom and sides.

2) Lack of size consistency across all the configurations which is a major deal for me and why I have the number of molds that I have.

3) Warping. Unless you are going to fill that mold all the time, you're going to have uneven heating and pressure on the wood dividers.

4) Weight. 25lbs of soap is a LOT friggin' soap to handle in the first place. And if you're going to make soap without filling up the entire mold, you're going to have to consider weight distribution...say only filling up half the mold, or two-thirds or three-quarters.

5) Design. Some of the configurations would be problematic unless you are making something really simple...like maybe layers or a single color...as there isn't a lot of room to maneuver.

6) Timing. You're really going to have to know your batter really, really well, along with scent and colorants, and plan your designs carefully when making three or move soaps. I once made a 14lb batch and sub-divided it into seven different soaps with different colorants, scents and techniques in a different molds...it took me several hours to plan it out and then another couple just to get everything set up.

I can also see some problems with the pins and holes. As seen in the last photo, the pins are made to stick out of holes to make them easier to take out, but that's not going to work with the interior pins for configurations for 1, 2, 4 and 6...those pins would have to go all the way in except for the head of the pin. Not only is this going to create a 'bump' in your bar if you use the entire mold, but then you get to have fun getting them back out. Two ways would be pliers or flathead screwdriver, but then you run the risk of damaging the wood. Another way would be to pull the connected pieces out, pull the apart and the tap them back out. Problem with this is that over time, you will 'ping' the end wider than the hole and will then have to file or get new pins. Another issue is that the holes are just bare wood. While maybe not quite as much as issue on the sides of the mold itself, but I can see future problems with the holes on the end pieces. If it was me, I would be drilling the holds a little wider and install brass bushings. I know that I try to be as neat and I can and take good of my equipment, but in the end, it's still plywood and we're going to spill soap batter and we're going to clean with water.

Great points. The design issue is one that really stuck out to me as it is a very tall mold and it would be hard to maneuver pouring certain designs. I like making fancy soaps. And lining as you said would be a nightmare. Never thought of warping but Carolyn mentioned that too. Yeah…this one is not gonna happen! Neat concept though.

Great points. The design issue is one that really stuck out to me as it is a very tall mold and it would be hard to maneuver pouring certain designs. I like making fancy soaps. And lining as you said would be a nightmare. Never thought of warping but Carolyn mentioned that too. Yeah…this one is not gonna happen! Neat concept though.

I think it's a good concept too, and would probably be good for someone who makes soap for family and friends and wants options, but doesn't want a bunch of molds. But if you're trying to make some kind of living from soap making, it's not all that practical. When I decided to upscale, I consider slab molds and double/triple loaf molds, but I'm still far away to be making 50 bars of a single kind of soap at a time and while I did think twice about the double loaf mold, I worried about generating more heat because I don't gel my soaps, and about carrying a double mold from the kitchen out to the garage.

Awhile back, I talked with a local soapmaker who was selling her business (I didn't end up buying it). She made the decision early on that, rather than one bigger mold. she'd wanted a bunch of smaller molds that she could easily carry and move around, allowing her to make designs more easily. As she had aged, she was very thankful that she hadn't bought a big mold. She felt like it saved her back by not having to move a heavy mold full of soap, or to man-handle a big slab to put it through a loaf splitter multiple times.

OTOH, some YT soapers are always working with really big molds and just whipping through the process. Perhaps that works well for those who sell a lot of bars in designs they make repeatedly, vs those who make smaller, more unique batches?

Back