Wow! Has anyone done this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read the whole thing. Mesmerizing!! I've got to order some more fats/oils, but you can bet I'll be trying this! I do wonder if the addition of a non discoloring fragrance oil would change the outcome though. I've got some ideas of FOs that would go well with this technique.

@COMMON- oh I hope you try it. I can,t wait to see more. If I ever did try it I would add a FO, maybe BRV, something I know for sure does not A or D.

This blew me away... it has such simplicity to the end result and is so beautiful.... I feel like doing a Wayne's World and bowing down "we're not worthy!"

From what I understand, the high water content batter in the middle gelled but the two sides didn't. I always thought low water was more likely to gell, am I understanding this correctly?

From what I understand, the high water content batter in the middle gelled but the two sides didn't. I always thought low water was more likely to gell, am I understanding this correctly?

From what I can tell by her blog, she undertook this method with the belief that the high water content batter would gel at a lower temperature. So she kept her oven at a temperature, 140 degrees Fahrenheit, that was not likely to encourage the lower water content batter to gel at the same rate/time as the higher content batter.

If I'm not mistaken, I think this fits in with her earlier experiment concerning water ratio, TD and glycerin rivers. Again, if I'm not mistaken, in that experiment she discovered that a higher water ratio (especially full water) was more likely to cause your soap to "heat up" quickly and cause glycerin rivers than if you soaped using a higher percentage of lye.

So, and this is the genius part of her latest "Ghost Swirl", she chucked the TD and used the observation as the impetus to create a swirl without using colors.

Maybe one of our chemistry/science experts can weigh in?

High water gels at lower temps than low water, and low water with an *extremely behaving fo* takes longer to trace. I know from experience. if a website says behaves and it actually moves faster than average, ever so slightly, it'll lightening on you with high water..BUT if you KNOW an fo is perfectly behaved, low water buys eons of time.

SORRY NEWBIE! Now I feel bad posting this. It will be an awesome challenge.
@COMMENSENZ & Lion Princess- well I have had everything bas akwards it seems.

Latest posts

Back