Wow finally had my first problem batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance71975

Reaction score
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later, and it finally did, i had a batch that i just have no clue what happened lol.

It is a pure Olive Oil soap and i used Turmeric as a colorant. All numbers were ran through soap calc, all measurements were spot on, and I have a soap that is Sticky and paste like, it has almost the consistency of the paste jars we used as kids. A lil more dense but still sticky and paste like.

Only thing i can figure is that it is a reaction with the Turmeric that i added at trace.

Any thoughts?

How long since you made it? Did it gel? 100% olive may just need to sit there longer before you attempt to remove it from the mold. How much water did you use? Full water or did you take a discount?

kharmon320 said:
How long since you made it? Did it gel? 100% olive may just need to sit there longer before you attempt to remove it from the mold. How much water did you use? Full water or did you take a discount?

Standard 38% water Discount. Yup it did Gel. This is the first time i have hand Olive oil not set in 24 hours and ill admit i was a bit lazy(fighting a cold right now lol), this batch sat wrapped in a towel for 2 days. I made it 4 days ago, it sat in the mold for 2 days, i cut it into bars sticky as it was and i am hoping it hardens up some as it cures.

Hmmm. I made a 90% OO, 10% Castor, 40% lye solution bastile batch with a swirl using madder root last week, poured at very light trace to get the marbling swirl look. I did force gel and I only left it in the mold for 24 to 36 hours, pretty hard when I unmolded and cut.

Do you have your recipe handy so we can look at the amounts?

100% olive oil + full water = soft soap for a long time. For Castille, a 40-45% lye solution will get you to a harder soap much faster.

Turmeric shouldn't do that. I just made a castile with Turmeric used in a portion of it for color- it's the only thing that's turned out okay for me all week!
Wish I had the answer. You might need to just tuck it away and let it have a good, looong cure.

VanessaP said:
Hmmm. I made a 90% OO, 10% Castor, 40% lye solution bastile batch with a swirl using madder root last week, poured at very light trace to get the marbling swirl look. I did force gel and I only left it in the mold for 24 to 36 hours, pretty hard when I unmolded and cut.

Do you have your recipe handy so we can look at the amounts?

Dont have the recipe exactly, it was ran through Soap Calc, 16oz Olive oil, 38% default water as % of Oils, 5% Super fat discount. Added 1 tablespoon of turmeric at trace.

judymoody said:
100% olive oil + full water = soft soap for a long time. For Castille, a 40-45% lye solution will get you to a harder soap much faster.

Thanks ill use that on the next batch!

vance71975 said:
38% default water as % of Oils.

That is pretty much what is known as a 'full water' amount. 100% OO plus full water amount equals a soft, mushy batch of soap at first. Give it a good cure and it will be fine. :)

I do what judymoody does- I use a 40% lye concentration with my 100% OO soaps and they set up nice and hard within 12 - 18 hours.

IrishLass :)

Thanks all! I will just wait it out. From now on 45% lye solution in soap calc for me lol.

Will that work with all oils to make it set harder and faster? For example 100% canola oil with the 45% lye solution.

Water discount will provide a harder bar right off the bat. The only thing is the further you go into discounting the faster the soap traces. I have had batter hard trace instantly with 50/50 lye solution.

sudbubblez said:
Water discount will provide a harder bar right off the bat. The only thing is the further you go into discounting the faster the soap traces. I have had batter hard trace instantly with 50/50 lye solution.

I do love the faster trace!

Latest posts

Back