Would've Been Better If

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
I had remembered what type of swirl I was attempting. lol .. I was trying a tiger swirl for the first time. Was also my first time using an actual wooden mold. I've been itching to use this mold since I ordered it and was supposed to wait for the oils and butters I ordered last Sat to arrive. Buuuut ... what could one batch using my old recipe hurt right? I mean I had the ingredients on hand ...

Everything was going well when the soap gods decided to have a little merriment at my expense. First, I never questioned what possessed me to place the wooden skewers next to mold. Neither did I blink an eye when my son engaged me in conversation as I was pouring the three different colored batters into the mold. Nor even pause for thought when, still talking to my son (the topic one that fully engages a father and his teen son; baseball - in our case the Pirates), I absent mindedly grabbed a skewer and began slowly pulling it through the soap batter from side to side. I was halfway through the length of the mold before the "What am I doing" moment hit ... hard.

Tiger swirl? Not after that ... So, this is what I got. A somewhat smudged looking thing that looks like it "would" have been a nice first tiger swirl if it had been given half a chance.

Somewhere the soap gods are laughing at their gentle reminder that beginning soapers should ALWAYS pay attention throughout the ENTIRE process of soaping.

Abercrombie Soap 6-24-15 to upload 1.jpg

Abercrombie Soap 6-24-15 to upload 2.jpg

Abercrombie Soap 6-25-15 to upload 3.jpg

Thank you Galaxy. It's a learning experience. First was patience and finding that sweet spot between emulsion and light trace. Now it's paying attention and so much more. Soaping is challenging, but that's why I enjoy it.

Gosh, me too. It's funny. Soaping has taught me to have patience with things even in the instant gratification generation. My therapist today actually used my soaping and patience to prove a point to me! So therapeutic! :)

I really like the color combo that you used. The swirl looks pretty too. I hope you do this color combo again using the tiger swirl because it would look awesome.

Thank you Wolf. I was actually trying to think of which of the scents I have left would work with the colors. The Abercrombie is a "man" scent and I thought those colors went well with that type.

I think it looks terrific! Make sure you take good notes about the swirl technique you used because you'll probably want to replicate it at some point, lol. Even though it's not what you set out to do, it's still beautiful soap!

Thank you all. You have made me feel like my "disaster" wasn't so bad. Of course, I could have just listened to my son when he said "It's soap. It's "MY" soap. I don't care about colors and all ... you could have just left it white." But, where's the fun in that eh?

I sooo want to do another batch. But, I'm waiting for WSP to send the supplies I ordered a week ago. Are they always this slow? I mean I live in the same state and everything. Never have had to wait so long for something I've ordered and paid for to ship, let alone arrive; unless it was from out of the country.

They just moved into a new facility this month. I think they are probably still feeling their "growing pains". I'm waiting on an order as well. I think I'm going to try a soap with PKO flakes and no CO ( usually I do a combo) since I'm waiting on the coconut oil.

I sooo want to do another batch. But, I'm waiting for WSP to send the supplies I ordered a week ago. Are they always this slow? I mean I live in the same state and everything. Never have had to wait so long for something I've ordered and paid for to ship, let alone arrive; unless it was from out of the country.

They had a huge sale before moving and have since moved to a larger facility so orders are taking an extra long time. It took 2 weeks to get to me.

Ahh, I saw the posts about the sale and moving. It just didn't occur to me that they would still be "unpacking". Oh well, I guess I could go pick up some castor oil at the pharmacy and use the supplies on hand again.

Ahh, I saw the posts about the sale and moving. It just didn't occur to me that they would still be "unpacking". Oh well, I guess I could go pick up some castor oil at the pharmacy and use the supplies on hand again.
I have 3 lbs of their castor oil that they sent me by mistake and let me keep. Wish I could pitch it for you from my place in Michigan and you could catch it at your place in Ohio. Silliness aside, you have BA and WSP and im sure some other suppliers in your own state, may be you could do in store pickups. Also, BA is really quick with shipping.

I had remembered what type of swirl I was attempting. lol .. I was trying a tiger swirl for the first time. Was also my first time using an actual wooden mold. I've been itching to use this mold since I ordered it and was supposed to wait for the oils and butters I ordered last Sat to arrive. Buuuut ... what could one batch using my old recipe hurt right? I mean I had the ingredients on hand ...

Everything was going well when the soap gods decided to have a little merriment at my expense. First, I never questioned what possessed me to place the wooden skewers next to mold. Neither did I blink an eye when my son engaged me in conversation as I was pouring the three different colored batters into the mold. Nor even pause for thought when, still talking to my son (the topic one that fully engages a father and his teen son; baseball - in our case the Pirates), I absent mindedly grabbed a skewer and began slowly pulling it through the soap batter from side to side. I was halfway through the length of the mold before the "What am I doing" moment hit ... hard.

Tiger swirl? Not after that ... So, this is what I got. A somewhat smudged looking thing that looks like it "would" have been a nice first tiger swirl if it had been given half a chance.

Somewhere the soap gods are laughing at their gentle reminder that beginning soapers should ALWAYS pay attention throughout the ENTIRE process of soaping.
I'm not someone who is readily reminded of something when looking at something totally different but you swirls remind me of large intestines, make that thoroughly cleaned out large intestines. Pretty cool!

Back