Would You Use Palm Oil Damaged in Shipping?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 months ago I received an order that was damaged by the shipper. When I opened the box I found everything covered in palm oil. It seeped into all the botanicals and soaked all the items. Even the labels slid off. The oddest part is that there was black grit all over too. Just a huge mess. I can't figure out what that black debris is but it looked like the shipper must have completely smashed the box then threw all the contents into a large trash type bag, threw that into a new box and sent it on. No explanation on the box that damage had occured. The supplier was terrific and sent a replacement order immediately. I found that one 7lb container of palm oil has a small tear at the top of the container and 25oz leaked out. So my question is, would you use it? I don't know if contamination occured because of the unknown debris. I also wonder about the palm oil properties since we know it's best to melt it before use to blend all the fatty acids properly. Will the balance be affected?

I'm just unsure what's best to do. I don't want my soap to end up odd or develop DOS but I also don't want to just waste that much palm if it may be okay. I'd appreciate your thoughts on it! TIA

Maybe you can melt the oil and strain out the black debris?

If you're talking about the seeped oil in the box I think it's not wise to use it. It might be contaminated with other substances. I would consider to use the remaining oil in the packet or whatever you call it. :)

I wouldn't use it due to the propensity of palm to separate. You will not get the proper amounts of each part. I would just toss it and start over when you receive the new. Better to be safe than sorry.

I wouldn't use it due to the propensity of palm to separate. You will not get the proper amounts of each part. I would just toss it and start over when you receive the new. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks Susie. (huge sigh) That was my thinking but I really wanted someone to disagree with me, lol.

I'm also with the test it first/use it crowd.

I had an explanation but, I have to fix it. Thought you had 70 lbs.

Ok, so I originally thought you lost 2.2% but, you lost 22% of oil

ETA:
So, another argument is this:

The top liquid portion of palm oil is palm olein. The bottom solid/grainy portion is palm stearin

The sap value of palm olein varies from 194-202, whereas the palm stearin is 193-205. They are pretty close! That means you shouldnt have a crazy excess of SF to develop DOS fast.

From Soapee
Palm Olein:

Linoleic 11
Myristic 1
Oleic 43
Palmitic 40
Stearic 5

Palm Stearin:

Linoleic 7
Myristic 2
Oleic 26
Palmitic 60
Stearic 5

They are relatively close. I'd just go for it.

http://www.palmoilworld.org/about_palmoil.html

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Even though it actually ends up being free to me since they fully replaced it, I can't stand the thought of just tossing it. I'm going to make a 1 lb test batch and see what happens. If all is good, I'll keep it for personal use only and use it in soap and no leave-on products.

I really appreciate all your info, galaxy. I feel better knowing the part that was lost won't affect the SAP value much. I received the order when it was still pretty warm outside but the oil came to me in a soft state, not liquid. Who knows what happened between the company and my house (other than some crazy catastrophy) so that may not even be a factor.

You just crack me up, Susie. I think you're the world's head cheerleader for the lardy team!

"...black grit all over too..."

That was probably a granular absorbent product used to soak up spills. Kind of like non-clumping kitty litter. The stuff would turn black after absorbing oil.

I'd use the palm in soap. Just me, but I hate to throw anything away.

"...black grit all over too..."

That was probably a granular absorbent product used to soak up spills. Kind of like non-clumping kitty litter. The stuff would turn black after absorbing oil.

I'd use the palm in soap. Just me, but I hate to throw anything away.

Thanks so much for that info DeeAnna! The supplier and I were very baffled by the stuff. I was picturing the box splitting open all over the pavement somewhere and the shipper throwing asphault covered items into a bag.... :twisted:

Back