Would you use a website dedicated to cataloguing fragrance dupes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosmerta

Reaction score
I was looking at Crafter's Choice Angel type FO yesterday and I was reading the reviews trying to figure out how close it smells to the perfume. One in particular stuck out to me, the review wrote "I've tried a bunch of Angel dupes and this one by far smells the closest to the real thing!" And my immediate thought was, "well what other ones have you tried and how close were they?"

That little bug stayed in my head all night, and I got the idea for a central catalogue of fragrance dupes where users can add dupes for popular scents, and vote to rank which dupes are closest to the original scent. I would be free for users and I would run ads on it to cover the cost to keep it up.

For an example of the website, each original scent would have it's own page with a list of dupes. The dupes would have their name, manufacturer, information of where it can be bought, and what countries it is available in. Users can vote on a scale of 1 to 5 if the scent is a good replica of the original, or a poor match. Users can use a search bar to find the page for the original scent they are looking for, or create a page if that scent doesn't have one yet. Users can also add dupe's on pages if one they tried isn't on the list yet.

I think this would be a great resource for soap makers and crafters to use to compare fragrances across brands. Before I put in the work of making something like this, would anyone actually use it and find a tool like this helpful?

Coincidence!! I am anxiously awaiting my Crafters Choice Angel FO. (It won’t be here till Wednesday). I hope it’s a close match! I absolutely don’t need more FO, but when I saw Angel I had to try it.
Yes, I would use a website like this 😃

For those looking for an Angel dupe - if the WSP version isn't what you are looking for - Sweet Cakes Angel is a very good dupe to my nose. I haven't used it in CP though, just MP and lotion. It also discolors, but smells wonderful.

ETA: To answer the original question, I would use it if I was looking for a perfume dupe, but it isn't often that I am.

Defiantly a great useful idea' What came to mind is to have additional info on how each dupe reacts in soap as-well.
Yes, this.

I'd also find it useful for scents other than dupes, so just have that as one category. For instance, I can't tell you how many rose FOs I have bought just trying to find one that smells like a real rose. Some rose FOs don't even smell like flowers.

Yes, this.

I'd also find it useful for scents other than dupes, so just have that as one category. For instance, I can't tell you how many rose FOs I have bought just trying to find one that smells like a real rose. Some rose FOs don't even smell like flowers.
I have a problem finding a rose that smell like an actual rose LOL. I had a rose bush back when I lived in Philly that was and "Old Fashioned" rose. The actual bush was old old. Not particularly pretty. OMG it smelled amazing. I am not a fan of rose smell, but I could not get enough of this smell. So I kinda made it the cornerstone of what a rose should smell like. And it was a big ugly bush, with big beautiful red roses.

I have just ordered yet another rose FO. I can report back once I've made something with it to see how it smells in a product. The problem is I ordered it from WSP so it might be a while!

I have a problem finding a rose that smell like an actual rose LOL. I had a rose bush back when I lived in Philly that was and "Old Fashioned" rose. The actual bush was old old. Not particularly pretty. OMG it smelled amazing. I am not a fan of rose smell, but I could not get enough of this smell. So I kinda made it the cornerstone of what a rose should smell like. And it was a big ugly bush, with big beautiful red roses.

My dad grows roses. One or two have that "real rose" scent, others are just for looks apparently.

I have just ordered yet another rose FO. I can report back once I've made something with it to see how it smells in a product. The problem is I ordered it from WSP so it might be a while!

So, I finally got this order, and the rose oil was missing. The packing slip had a stamp on it that said it was out of stock, but when I went to the website to see when it would be available again, it wasn't out of stock. So I didn't get my rose FO. Oh WSP, why do you have to be this way?

Rose Bouquet by Peak was a really good seller for me and a beautiful Rose fragrance. Fragrance Buddy sells a perfect dupe of Peaks Rose Bouquet.
What did you use it in? If it behaves in CP soap that would be nice, but I am not opposed to having to HP to use it.

I'm new to all of this and would love a site that had all of this. It would give me a great idea of what sites to buy from scent wise and what ones to stay away from.

I'm so glad you're taking interest in doing this. I read in another blog where this was done already, however, it stopped being updated and people were pretty shook up about it. I would gladly use that as a resource and I'm sure many, many more people feel the same. Please, go for it. I would mind helping if there is someway I can contribute. To make it easy to launch you could even to a Wiki so people can contribute their finding there. I'm excited just thinking about it. Good luck!

Back