Would you please help me with a soap recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
I want to use only these ingredients in a soap recipe:

lard
CO
sunflower oil

In descending order as listed. What proportions of these oils would make a nice mild bar?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I haven't made this recipe, but I would think this might give you a nice bar.

18% Coconut oil
12% Sunflower
70% lard
That would give you a cleansing number of 13 which is fairly gentle.

Or you could go lower on the CO and pass the rest on to Lard. From what others have said, they keep the sunflower at 10-15%. IS it high oleic or just regular?

Regular is all I have.... Does it make a huge diff?

Wow...that is pretty high percentage of lard. I have never used lard. Is it typical to use more than 50%?

Conditioning # is 49...on the low end...but what do I know? I don't have a handle on all these factors yet...will that make it drying?

Last edited:
My regular recipe has 50% lard but I have used 75%, 80% and 100%. Lard is my absolute favorite soaping oil, it has a lower conditioning number but in this case, the numbers lie.

regular sunflower should be kept at 15% or less or it could contribute to DOS. High oleic sunflower on the other hand, is more stable.

I made an 80% lard batch once and OMG let me tell you... It is fabulous. I used 15 CO/5 castor as my remainder. It lathers like a jacuzzi full of Mr. Bubble, creamy like a tub of cool whip, harder than... no, I'm not answering that.

But it's lovely. You should try it.

Newbie's recipe is almost identical to mine, only it's 15 % co, 5% castor, 10% ho sunflower and the rest lard. Not drying for me or the people I give it to and most of us are middle-aged or older.

My regular recipe has 50% lard but I have used 75%, 80% and 100%. Lard is my absolute favorite soaping oil, it has a lower conditioning number but in this case, the numbers lie.

regular sunflower should be kept at 15% or less or it could contribute to DOS. High oleic sunflower on the other hand, is more stable.

Wow!! I'm getting excited!! (about the numbers lying) :)

How much high oleic SFO can be used?

I made an 80% lard batch once and OMG let me tell you... It is fabulous. I used 15 CO/5 castor as my remainder. It lathers like a jacuzzi full of Mr. Bubble, creamy like a tub of cool whip, harder than... no, I'm not answering that.

But it's lovely. You should try it.

I can't wait!!!

A word of warning, once you go high lard, you will never be happy with anything with less lard.

I would skip the Sunflower Oil altogether this first batch. Do something like this:

Lard 85%
CO 15%

Then I would substitute in 15% Sunflower in place of some of the lard. Then compare the two once cured.

But if you are in the US, you should be able to get castor oil at most pharmacies in the laxative section. I would use 5% castor oil in both recipes.

Hmmmm......sounds addictive!!!

Now...if I can only find some grass-fed or organic lard at a good price!! I have just been reading about the antibiotics, hormones, and pesticides osmosing through our skin with commercial lard....:neutral:

Ah! Then let me recommend FannieAndFlo on etsy. I've ordered from them many times. Grass fed tallow that's as white and pure as the driven snow and completely odorless. Their main focus is lard and tallow for eating, but happily also sell to soapers.

They also have for sale (but unlisted) the less "beautiful" lard and tallow. Still grass fed tallow and family farm sourced lard, no bht, no citric acid, no hydrogenation but sometimes the color is more yellow and but less expensive. Message them - they'll gladly help you out! I love them!

Last edited:
Ah! Then let me recommend FannieAndFlo on etsy. I've ordered from them many times. Grass fed tallow that's as white and pure as the driven snow and completely odorless. They're main focus is lard and tallow for eating, but happily also sell to soapers.

They also have for sale (but unlisted) the less "beautiful" lard and tallow. Still grass fed tallow and family farm sourced lard, no bht, no citric acid, no hydrogenation but sometimes the color is more yellow and but less expensive. Message them - they'll gladly help you out! I love them!

Oh, thank you so much!! As I was reading about the virtues of grass-fed animal fats, I was thinking about finding some to eat! So, I am glad to have your post!!

A little later.....
I am on their site now!! What a find!! The stuff on amazon was like $24.00 for 14 oz!!! Please take a huge hug from me!!! I am one happy gal!!! Doin' the happy dance!!!

Last edited:
Ah! Then let me recommend FannieAndFlo on etsy. I've ordered from them many times. Grass fed tallow that's as white and pure as the driven snow and completely odorless. They're main focus is lard and tallow for eating, but happily also sell to soapers.

Going to check out Etsy now... Thanks lenarenee!

How does beef tallow compare to lard in soap making?

Have you tried the "Lardist?" Their prices are lower.

Last edited:

Are you in the US? Want me to send you a couple bars?

Lard is more conditioning and does make a hard bar, but tallow soap seems harder to me than lard - or less soluble. It's a nice white, crisp bar that's even less inclined to get too soft when used multiple times a day - like with hand washing. Olive oil soaps get gummy and jelly, lard far less so, but tallow just stays crisp and hard. Calling it less conditioning is not exactly correct because it still makes a gentle soap. Personally, I think it allows whatever butter or specialty oil you add really shine through.

Tallow has a small amount of lauric and myrisitc acid (the bubbly acids of coconut oil) so I actually reduce the amount of coconut oil by 2% when I use it.

100% tallow soap lather is nothing to write home about - a few large bubbles but then a thin, shiny, somewhat creamy lather - kind of like when your homemade whipped cream deflates after 2 days in the fridge.
Going to check out Etsy now... Thanks lenarenee!

You're very welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you in the US? Want me to send you a couple bars?

Lard is more conditioning and does make a hard bar, but tallow soap seems harder to me than lard - or less soluble. It's a nice white, crisp bar that's even less inclined to get too soft when used multiple times a day - like with hand washing. Olive oil soaps get gummy and jelly, lard far less so, but tallow just stays crisp and hard. Calling it less conditioning is not exactly correct because it still makes a gentle soap. Personally, I think it allows whatever butter or specialty oil you add really shine through.

Tallow has a small amount of lauric and myrisitc acid (the bubbly acids of coconut oil) so I actually reduce the amount of coconut oil by 2% when I use it.

100% tallow soap lather is nothing to write home about - a few large bubbles but then a thin, shiny, somewhat creamy lather - kind of like when your homemade whipped cream deflates after 2 days in the fridge.

I will PM you.

Have you tried the "Lardist?" Their prices are lower.

No I haven't - I've "watched" them a little but their supply is hit and miss. There's not much info on their operation. Fannie and Flo I trust - I looked into their claims about their source (did the farm group exist, googled them, google mapped them, etc) Plus they hard a professional kitchen....here....read this from their etsy shop:

Our production environment is free of Tobacco, Pets, Hard Liquor, Offensive Odors, Dirty Jokes and Racey Undergarments.
Please contact us with any questions (even the dumb ones), and let's establish a good clear line of communication on all custom orders as soon as possible.

We render in a Fully Inspected and Approved Commercial Kitchen, assuring product purity, cleanliness and food packaging compliance. We produce according to food safety HACCP protocol resulting in a zero-moisture / zero bacteria (shelf stable over 60°F).

Is the Tallow organic? Where does it come from?
The family farms that supply the suet we use are all are members of the "Organic Valley Farmers Co-op" and produce only Certified Organic Livestock, raised without antibiotics, synthetic hormones or pesticide exposure. They are seasonally grazed and not given feed containing genetically modified organisms (GMO). Organic Valley Co-op Farms are 3rd party "Certified Organic" and follow federal guidelines. The livestock processor we use is "Animal Welfare" Certified.

This is more than hobby for them, they love what they do.

No I haven't - I've "watched" them a little but their supply is hit and miss. There's not much info on their operation. Fannie and Flo I trust - I looked into their claims about their source (did the farm group exist, googled them, google mapped them, etc) Plus they hard a professional kitchen....here....read this from their etsy shop:

Our production environment is free of Tobacco, Pets, Hard Liquor, Offensive Odors, Dirty Jokes and Racey Undergarments.
Please contact us with any questions (even the dumb ones), and let's establish a good clear line of communication on all custom orders as soon as possible.

We render in a Fully Inspected and Approved Commercial Kitchen, assuring product purity, cleanliness and food packaging compliance. We produce according to food safety HACCP protocol resulting in a zero-moisture / zero bacteria (shelf stable over 60°F).

Is the Tallow organic? Where does it come from?
The family farms that supply the suet we use are all are members of the "Organic Valley Farmers Co-op" and produce only Certified Organic Livestock, raised without antibiotics, synthetic hormones or pesticide exposure. They are seasonally grazed and not given feed containing genetically modified organisms (GMO). Organic Valley Co-op Farms are 3rd party "Certified Organic" and follow federal guidelines. The livestock processor we use is "Animal Welfare" Certified.

This is more than hobby for them, they love what they do.

Yes...I read all that earlier. Loved their line, "...Our production environment is free of Tobacco, Pets, Hard Liquor, Offensive Odors, Dirty Jokes and Racey Undergarments. Made me chuckle. :)

Yes...after looking at Lardist more closely, I had already decided that Fannie & Flo sounded much more serious about every aspect of their biz. They are definitely my first choice!!

By the way, I'd like you to know that I grew up surrounded by beef and hog farms - we had some ourselves, so I've seen/used a lot of tallow and lard during my kidlet days. Fannie and Flo have better quality product than we used to get from our local butcher/processor (all types of lard were processed the same so each package was a hodge podge). Fannie and Flo have their categorized, and can tell you exactly how each type should or shouldn't be processed!

Last time I communicated with them, their end stage lard was $2 a pound and they did sell it to a lot of soapers; it tends to have a bit of tan or yellow color to it, and sometimes smell which their customers claim doesn't come through in the soap. (I've had some extremely smelly stuff from Wal Mart - and it didn't come through after cure either)

I splurge on myself and buy their highest quality tallow for my own soap. Such a beautiful white crisp bar and gentle soap.
Yes...I read all that earlier. Loved their line, "...Our production environment is free of Tobacco, Pets, Hard Liquor, Offensive Odors, Dirty Jokes and Racey Undergarments. Made me chuckle. :)

Yes...after looking at Lardist more closely, I had already decided that Fannie & Flo sounded much more serious about every aspect of their biz. They are definitely my first choice!!

I know! They're very humorous! Did you see their tag line? "Home for displaced and orphaned artisans"? They started rendering lard to find something productive to do...and now they makes tons of the stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know! They're very humorous! Did you see their tag line? "Home for displaced and orphaned artisans"? They started rendering lard to find something productive to do...and now they makes tons of the stuff!

No, I did not see that tagline. Very cute! I feel like a displaced artisan...lived in NY for a while, stuck in GA and wanting to move to CA!!!

$2/lb sounds awesome!! I did message them earlier, asking about the lowered priced fats...but should I specifically ask for the $2/lb stuff?

No, I did not see that tagline. Very cute! I feel like a displaced artisan...lived in NY for a while, stuck in GA and wanting to move to CA!!!

$2/lb sounds awesome!! I did message them earlier, asking about the lowered priced fats...but should I specifically ask for the $2/lb stuff?

I don't think so - they'll tell you what they have because they've dealt with soapers before. Did you mention it was for soap? Oh - not that the $2 stuff was ONLY good for soap - they sell it to a pie baker for their pie crust because they like it better - and it's still pure, food grade lard.

Whatcha want to do in California? What part?

Back