Would this recipe work? need advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spryng

Reaction score
Hey there, so I've been lurking and reading and trying to absorb as much as I can. I took some tutorials on the lye calculator from soapcalc.com because I could not find a recipe out there I wanted to start with. Everything had ingredients I don't have or had soooo many ingredients, it didn't feel Newbie friendly lol So, what I am looking for is a basic CP recipe of just 3-4 oils really, but I want a super lathery soap that is also a nice hard soap and moisturizing
upload_2019-10-9_13-46-24.png
. So I put together the below with olive oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, cocoa butter, and castor oil.. still more ingredients than what I'm looking for but I "think" it may give me the bar I'm after? what are your thoughts from your experience? Also, I have a 2.5 loaf mold.. should I make a recipe for the entire 2.5 or a little less so it's not filled to the brim? maybe just 2 lbs? Any advice or tips are much appreciated! I am here to learn and learn the right way :)

oh! and one more thing, I want it to have goats milk. I didn't see a place on the calculator to add that in but I'm assuming I can replace the water to mix the lye with frozen goats milk? It won't affect the rest of the recipe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty new here too and I found the links below very helpful when generating recipes to try

https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/soapcalcs-soap-quality-numbers/
https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/the-most-popular-fatty-acid-profiles-in-soapmaking/

Quite honestly I would add either palm or lard but wait for those with wayyyy more experience than me to chime in. I just thought you might like to look the links over. I found them really helpful.
Yeah I wanted to steer clear of Palm but I think lard would help with the hardness right? What I'd really like is the perfect 3 or 4 oil recipe that also includes castor oil, as from everything I've read, really helps make it bubbly. But I may be looking for a unicorn recipe lol I am checking those links out now!

I'm not brave enough to try generating my own recipes too much yet and have been sticking to researching other peoples tried and true ones and seeing how they turn out. Soap Queen has a pretty good goat milk recipe I've had bookmarked for when I want to start making some. It has their oils listed and their percentages if you want to check it out and compare it to yours.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/creamy-goat-milk-soap-recipe/
Awesome, thanks! I'm checking it out now!

Yeah I wanted to steer clear of Palm but I think lard would help with the hardness right? What I'd really like is the perfect 3 or 4 oil recipe that also includes castor oil, as from everything I've read, really helps make it bubbly. But I may be looking for a unicorn recipe lol I am checking those links out now!
Yes that is what we are all looking for LOL
try
40% lard
20% sweet almond
20% coconut
10% cocoa butter
10% castor

Yes that is what we are all looking for LOL
try
40% lard
20% sweet almond
20% coconut
10% cocoa butter
10% castor
Is this a recipe you have tried before? I don't have any lard, though I'm sure I can get some at the store.. what will the lard supply that the olive oil won't? boy I have a lot to learn lol

Bookreader451: ok I input those and my cleansing, bubbly and creamy went down.. hmmm
upload_2019-10-9_15-0-40.png

I’m still fairly new to soap making myself but I’d recommend starting with much smaller batches. 2.5lb is a huge batch, id at least halve that to begin with.
Also in regards to what lard adds that olive oil doesn’t, I think it’s main purpose is for making a harder bar, usually in replacement of palm and/or coconut.
Perhaps you could try a recipe with the percentages of 40%, 30%, 20% & 10%.
My first attempt was 40% Olive Oil, 30% Lard, 20% Coconut & 10% Avocado. I have since tweeked that but it was a good starting point to learn from.

I’m still fairly new to soap making myself but I’d recommend starting with much smaller batches. 2.5lb is a huge batch, id at least halve that to begin with.
Also in regards to what lard adds that olive oil doesn’t, I think it’s main purpose is for making a harder bar, usually in replacement of palm and/or coconut.
Perhaps you could try a recipe with the percentages of 40%, 30%, 20% & 10%.
My first attempt was 40% Olive Oil, 30% Lard, 20% Coconut & 10% Avocado. I have since tweeked that but it was a good starting point to learn from.
Thank you! I think you may be right about the size. 2.5 pounds may be too much to learn with. Hmmm I'll need to order a smaller mold because I only have the 40 oz silicone/wood loaf mold. But you all are so helpful!

View attachment 41993
This is a good recipe that I use for soapmaking classes and demos, everything is easily found at WalMart. You can sub the GV shortening for lard - in fact I recommend it for a longer keeping bar, with GV shortening I tend to get DOS at around 14 months. You'll need to run it through the soap calc for any changes. I will say that at 30% the water is slightly high, for this particular demo I was using an FO that tends to accelerate slightly so I wanted a bit more working time with it to do an in the pot swirl (ITPS). For this recipe with a nice playing FO I would use 35% lye concentration.

For your first soap, I would not use goat milk. Make sure you have your processes down before you shake things up with a tricky ingredient like goats milk. Save that for when you get a few recipes under your belt.

upload_2019-10-9_16-1-22.png

Not sure why the recipe wouldn't go through the first time - sorry mods and thank you in advance for merging for me!

View attachment 41994
Not sure why the recipe wouldn't go through the first time - sorry mods and thank you in advance for merging for me!
Thank you so much! That makes perfect sense. I'll definitely wait on adding in goats milk. I want to get a good understanding and experience with the basics first.
And thank you mods for putting this post in the right place. I promise I'll figure out these forums very soon.

Yes, the recipe you devised is suitable. Olive oil actually makes a very hard bar of soap. The butter adds some creaminess and hardness, but I’d start with 7% instead, as it cuts lather. Almond oil is nice in soap, I just don’t use it. Castor oil supports the bubbles. I would reduce the coconut to 20 or 25%, it can be drying.

I also agree that starting with smaller batches is a good idea, you won’t waste material if something doesn’t work. Plus, you’ll have reason to make more!

Yes, the recipe you devised is suitable. Olive oil actually makes a very hard bar of soap. The butter adds some creaminess and hardness, but I’d start with 7% instead, as it cuts lather. Almond oil is nice in soap, I just don’t use it. Castor oil supports the bubbles. I would reduce the coconut to 20 or 25%, it can be drying.

I also agree that starting with smaller batches is a good idea, you won’t waste material if something doesn’t work. Plus, you’ll have reason to make more!
7% on the cocoa butter? Sounds great! Nice to know I was on the right track with that recipe, just needs some tweaks which I'm happy to make. Thank you so much!

That’s probably going to need a nice long cure before it hits its best, because of the olive oil. Let the soap cure for 4 to 6 weeks, try it, then take notes on its performance. Test again every couple weeks or so.

It will take many recipes and tests before you come to an opinion as to what you like from homemade soap. You might even end up scrapping entire recipes when something better comes along.

Have fun experimenting, and I can’t wait to hear what you think of your first soaping experience!

Also, I have a 2.5 loaf mold.. should I make a recipe for the entire 2.5 or a little less so it's not filled to the brim? maybe just 2 lbs?
Hiya Spryng and Welcome!
If your mold holds 2.5 lbs = 40 oz.
40 oz oils X a factor of 1.37 = 54.8 oz soap!
So, yes, that amount of soap would overfill your mold by almost another pound. Oopsie! :D

I happen to have a 2.5 lb/40 oz mold. I use 30 oz. of oils.
30 oz oils X 1.37 = 41.1 oz soap
Once the loaf is unmolded, I cut 7-8 bars, 1" thick.
That little bit of excess can be rolled into a ball and flattened to make a small disk to use to test the progress of the batch. ;)

I think you did a good job of formulating a soap recipe. If t'were me, I wouldn't change a thing. Go ahead and try a batch and see how you like it. Then tweak it to your heart's desire.
Keep up the good work! :thumbs:

I think you should give your recipe a go. I have a recipe very similar but use a different oil and butter. I generally keep my at 5-7% but you may be okay.

Thank you! I think you may be right about the size. 2.5 pounds may be too much to learn with. Hmmm I'll need to order a smaller mold because I only have the 40 oz silicone/wood loaf mold. But you all are so helpful!

@Spryng, Welcome!
You actually wouldn't have to purchase small molds; you could just make enough soap batter to fill a smaller portion of your mold--1-1.25 inches up from the bottom. That way you won't have to purchase any more molds unless you want a variety. You'd be able to begin as soon as you wish. I've actually made a few small batches by doing this since I wasn't planning on any kind of fancy design. I did a simple in the pot swirl. Depending upon how long your loaf is you'll get 3 wide or 4 narrow bars with the thickness.

That’s probably going to need a nice long cure before it hits its best, because of the olive oil. Let the soap cure for 4 to 6 weeks, try it, then take notes on its performance. Test again every couple weeks or so.

It will take many recipes and tests before you come to an opinion as to what you like from homemade soap. You might even end up scrapping entire recipes when something better comes along.

Have fun experimenting, and I can’t wait to hear what you think of your first soaping experience!
Thank you so much! that is what drew me to soap making, the endless experimenting!

Hiya Spryng and Welcome!
If your mold holds 2.5 lbs = 40 oz.
40 oz oils X a factor of 1.37 = 54.8 oz soap!
So, yes, that amount of soap would overfill your mold by almost another pound. Oopsie! :D

I happen to have a 2.5 lb/40 oz mold. I use 30 oz. of oils.
30 oz oils X 1.37 = 41.1 oz soap
Once the loaf is unmolded, I cut 7-8 bars, 1" thick.
That little bit of excess can be rolled into a ball and flattened to make a small disk to use to test the progress of the batch. ;)

I think you did a good job of formulating a soap recipe. If t'were me, I wouldn't change a thing. Go ahead and try a batch and see how you like it. Then tweak it to your heart's desire.
Keep up the good work! :thumbs:
Thank you so much @Zany_in_CO ! You know I saw that on the calculator but it didn't register that it would overfill my mold lol thank you for pointing that out or I was going to have extra that I had no place to pour lol You all are beyond helpful, I am so happy to have found this site!

I think you should give your recipe a go. I have a recipe very similar but use a different oil and butter. I generally keep my at 5-7% but you may be okay.
What do you keep at 5-7%? the castor oil or another oil?

@Spryng, Welcome!
You actually wouldn't have to purchase small molds; you could just make enough soap batter to fill a smaller portion of your mold--1-1.25 inches up from the bottom. That way you won't have to purchase any more molds unless you want a variety. You'd be able to begin as soon as you wish. I've actually made a few small batches by doing this since I wasn't planning on any kind of fancy design. I did a simple in the pot swirl. Depending upon how long your loaf is you'll get 3 wide or 4 narrow bars with the thickness.
What a great idea! thank you so much @Michele50

Back