Would this recipe work? need advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not PJ, but lowering the coconut will make it less drying. Upping the OO and almond will make it more conditioning (better for sensitive skin). Dropping the castor to 5% is just right in most cases, more than that may cause the soap to feel sticky. :thumbs:

Thank you! I think you may be right about the size. 2.5 pounds may be too much to learn with. Hmmm I'll need to order a smaller mold because I only have the 40 oz silicone/wood loaf mold. But you all are so helpful!
You don't really need to buy a SOAP mold for smaller batches. Try plastic "leftovers" containers just look for the triangle with the #5 in it on the bottom. Even a cardboard box lined with parchment paper is fine.
https://www.lovinsoap.com/2015/12/how-to-pick-containers-for-making-soap/
I wouldn't use the plastic for food after though. I use a permanent marker and write SOAP on the outside.

Last edited:
I do small (9oz of oil) batches in 500ml (pint) egg white or milk cartons with the top cut off. No lining, and it's easy to peel off the carton to unmold. I even often peel off in stages, if I'm not sure how long the bar takes to harden. Lots of different containers to make soap in, especially for tester bars.

I do small (9oz of oil) batches in 500ml (pint) egg white or milk cartons with the top cut off. No lining, and it's easy to peel off the carton to unmold. I even often peel off in stages, if I'm not sure how long the bar takes to harden. Lots of different containers to make soap in, especially for tester bars.

Lol, that's what I'm getting ready to do. A buttermilk carton--don't like that clabbered milk myself but my hubby does. He drinks it and I use the bottom part for soaping when I to make small batches. This time I'm going to see if placing a clear plastic bag will allow me to pull it out and re-use the carton bottom. It's the same plastic bags I use to line my huge squeeze bottles so I don't have to clean soap batter out of them.

I started with the Beginner’s Cold Process Soap Kit from Brambleberry with a simple recipe of Olive Oil, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil and Castor Oil (kit comes with lye, fragrance oil and 2lb mold).

After some experimentation with different oils and butter, I use the above ingredients along with Shea and Cocoa Butter. I also invested in a couple of 1lb molds to test new scents and colors.

With regards to making Goat Milk Soap, I use equal parts frozen Evaporated Goats Milk and frozen Distilled Water mixed with my lye in an ice bath (ice, water & salt). I mix in the lye slowly to maintain the creamy color of the milk. I soap GMS around 70-75F and then refrigerate it. I then bring it to room temperature to mold and then wait another day to cut.

The above is the result of my first 2lb batch of GMS which was a failure. I froze the Goat Milk, but not the water and no ice bath. I then put it in the garage...in July...and covered it with towels. It overheated...badly. It was a medium brown, the top was rough and there was oil floating on top. Letting it sit (as was recommended) for a few days did see most of the oil reabsorb, but then I cut it and it sweated oil.

Hello and welcome. :)

Maybe aim for a few more hard oils as has been mentioned.

My early recipes contained Shea or Cocoa Butter at about 15% as I am palm and animal-fat free. Coconut oil was the only other hard oil that I used and as a result, my soap didn't last long. After a couple months I discovered Soy Wax as an alternative to Cocoa Butter (too expensive). Now I use a combo of CO (20%), Shea (10%) and SW (20%) to make up my hard oil component.

I found this quite helpful to start: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/the-most-popular-fatty-acid-profiles-in-soapmaking/

Good luck and happy soaping!

Latest posts

Back