Would Body Scrub Help My Hands?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I suddenly have super dry hands that lotion and body butter are not helping. We have no room for a dishwasher in my new house, so I am washing dishes by hand three times a day, and I hate wearing gloves to wash dishes. I am alternating using 100% CO soap with Palmolive in an effort to not do so much damage.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

I had the same issue recently, I absolutely had to start using gloves. No lotion or butters helped me either, ended using a really thick store bought lotion for a few days, that helped more than anything.

Honestly, gloves. Hot water and grease-stripping dish-soap 3 times a day? I never got those commercials for Palmolive, because I hate to wash dishes without gloves! But I guess there are folks who prefer to wash dishes without them! Doesn't the hot water bother your hands?

I suppose you could slather your hands in lard before and after.

What is it you hate about the gloves? My mom always bought bigger sized gloves, and I found that buying smaller gloves for my hands was much more comfortable. Perhaps you could find a more comfortable glove?

Is it just the sweaty, gross feeling inside the gloves that you hate? I found a pair at the dollar store that are lined with cotton and they feel much nicer.

I still wash my dishes with Palmolive, but started mixing it with equal parts vinegar long ago because my hands would get uncomfortably dry and skin peeling away. vinegar helps a lot ( actually I don't get dry hands any more), without compromising on the cleaning.

And body scrub only helps temporarily, been there, done that.

Last edited:
What is it you hate about the gloves? My mom always bought bigger sized gloves, and I found that buying smaller gloves for my hands was much more comfortable. Perhaps you could find a more comfortable glove?

It is the thick glove itself, I can't feel if there is any residue through that thick glove. I also have trouble getting the gloves on if my hands are the least bit damp. And after I eat, I pick up the dishes and put food up, so I am washing my hands repeatedly during that process.

I'll have to try using nitrile gloves for dishwashing, I guess.

Thanks y'all.

I wash all my dishes by hand, and I hate wearing gloves, too. This is what I did to solve the problem- I bought a couple of pairs of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BKFF76/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They are 95% cotton and 5% spandex and fit comfortably snug on my hands.....and they also fit quite comfortably underneath my dishwashing gloves without feeling at all cumbersome in any way. They are awesome. I use them under my nitrile gloves when I soap, too.

In severe cases of dryness, they can also be used for lotioning up the hands and wearing overnight if need be.

My hands are always nice and soft and smooth due to these gloves.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to wear gloves and cannot use latex. These are what I use for washing dishes and they last a couple of years or more.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#gloves/=yp1wyk I buy 5415T22 13" ones. They fit fairly tight so I buy mediums and I always powder my gloves in the hot summer. These are resistant to lye and will let you wash dishes with very hot water. I do not wear them when making soap, they are to stiff for me, but do use them when I master batch lye

I use regular nitrile gloves for dishwashing, as I don't like the thick dishwashing gloves either. I slather on lotion or shea butter before I put on the nitrile gloves, and then when I'm finished with the dishes, my hands are soft & happy!

Susie, I find that sugar scrubs make my regular-too-dry hands feel much more moisturized, but they can actually hurt if I have chapped hands.

If lotions aren't cutting it, have you tried a paraffin wax treatment or perhaps a warm oil soak?

That's OK, it is 3:15 am, and I have been up since 1:30 am. Welcome to the insomniac side of SMF.

Yes to the oil soak, no to the paraffin wax. I am trying to stay away from petrochemicals on my skin. I was having trouble with using them on my lips, and I can't think that they would be any better on my hands if I keep using them.

I will try that, Craig! I have some really rough spots on my hands, so anything will help at this stage.

I used nitrile gloves last night to wash dishes, and my hands already feel better. They weren't as bad as the regular dish washing gloves, but I still have to get used to them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back