Worth a try!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenS

Reaction score
While attempting to research the fragrance of a Crabtree & Evelyn Goatmilk soap, it was revealed that I was not actually looking for the goatmilk smell. This I believe is true as I just processed a small quantity of HP lard/olive & coconut oil that I scented with my first FO. It is honeysuckle FO. Since it has cured for several days and the strong (for me) honeysuckle scent has gone away, I noticed a familiar smell. Comparing it to my C&E Goatmilk soap, a strong similarity was noticed.
Is there anyone that might have noted the commercial soaps scent and IDed it better than I am able.
Thanks for any ideas.
Is there a thread on how to describe a fragrance?
Cheers

Is it the triple milled in the light blue box? That one is lavender scented
Hello Obsidian,
Yes it is the light blue boxed one. Thank you! If I may, does lavender smell similar to honeysuckle?
In any case much appreciated.

Hello Obsidian,
Yes it is the light blue boxed one. Thank you! If I may, does lavender smell similar to honeysuckle?
In any case much appreciated.
There are many different types of lavender but no it doesn't smell like honeysuckle. Honeysuckle is sweeter.
https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/blog/tag/scents-that-smell-like-honeysuckle/
they also say their FO is:
This fragrance oil by Natures Garden is a fresh ozonic honeysuckle blend with hints of jasmine, rose, and lilac. A Best Seller!

There are many different types of lavender but no it doesn't smell like honeysuckle. Honeysuckle is sweeter.
Howdy penelopejane,
Thanks for your reply. Two things I've noted is that the actual soap smells more but not as strong. It also lingers longer than the honeysuckle but seems less sweet. These are all attributable to varying factors I didn't account for. My nose is certainly not sophisticated......:)
Do you have a preference of FO or EO? I am just going to get a small bottle of an inexpensive lavender and smell what happens.
Cheers

I am allergic to most EOs so I use FOs. DH uses fragrance free soap.
Try and get french lavender if you are going to try it. It is $$as an EO but a much nicer smell. There are other lavenders that "smell like french lavender". :)

If you are going for an FO read the reviews.

I have found that lavender caused DOS in my soap. Not in every soap but consistently enough to blame the lavender. I so not use it anymore.

Thanks for sharing you knowledge and experience. You have confirmed what I had read about oils! I will look into the FO reviews as you suggest.
Hope no DOS!!!

Last edited:
Well I didn't know what dos was until I used the forum's abbreviations list:thumbs: and luckily I haven't gotten the the symptoms yet.... Yes it is coming together. All I need now is a recipe, more equipment (got a cheap infrared thermometer), a good technique and confidence:rolleyes:. I am happily on the way! Couldn't have gotten this far without extensive help and patience.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back