Wort and beer soap using beer kit

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBoar

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I know I'm a newbie but I was just looking at the beer kits advertised on the forums and was wondering a few things. It looks like a fun project in and of itself but I really like idea of beer soaps. I did a search and found a thread on soaping with wort but I thought I'd make my own thread.

I was wondering if I got the beer making kit if I could separate out the wort to use as a replacement for the water, freeze it and save it, amend the recipe to ferment the rest and then boil that down to add at trace. I'm looking at the Weizen beer kit. http://www.homebrewsupply.com/1-gallon-weizen-starter-kit.html

When I was asking a local brewery if they were interested in having my soaps in their bar I spoke with one of the beer makers. He said that since I boil out the alcohol anyway and I'm looking for higher sugar amounts to boost bubbles in the soap, that the wort would be the best way to go. I never was able to get that going of course so I never received the wort... :( if I made my own beer though, that's exactly what I would use to make beer soaps.

Edit: since you wouldn't have alcohol present in the wort you wouldn't need to boil it down. However, due to the sugars you would want to chill the beer or just add they lye very slowly so you don't burn the sugars.

When I was asking a local brewery if they were interested in having my soaps in their bar I spoke with one of the beer makers. He said that since I boil out the alcohol anyway and I'm looking for higher sugar amounts to boost bubbles in the soap, that the wort would be the best way to go. I never was able to get that going of course so I never received the wort... :( if I made my own beer though, that's exactly what I would use to make beer soaps.

Edit: since you wouldn't have alcohol present in the wort you wouldn't need to boil it down. However, due to the sugars you would want to chill the beer or just add they lye very slowly so you don't burn the sugars.

Thank you. I was originally just going to use the wort but since I found that thread I assumed there was a benefit to the boiled down fermented beer.

I'm wondering if the yeast has any skin benefits. But I wouldn't need to leave the beer to ferment to get that, you can just add the yeast? But I would want to record the process and it just seems more fun to actually make some of the beer and use that.

Here are some other ideas I've stumbled upon.

Wort contains alpha acids that improve lather. I then found this wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_hydroxy_acid . I'm not a chemist so forgive me if they are totally different things.

I read you can use the spent grain as an exfoliant.

Also with brewing Acetaldehyde (carcinogen) is released from the dying yeast cells.

edit: also an interesting idea for wine soap [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z-8l1caH0I[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back