Worst fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
So, just for fun, what's the worst fragrance oil you've ever bought, or just smelled?

https://cart.candlesupply.com/Heliotrope-Surplus-pr-19270.html

I love the scent of this plant, and very few suppliers even offer some thing. I think just this one and Save on Scents. Despite the 1 very negative review, I had high hopes. Boy was I disappointed! Just YUCK. I think this is the only FO that I have genuinely 100% disliked OOB. Haven't tried anything with it yet. I probably need to just toss it.

As for smelling, Yankee Candle's Bacon scent was just awful. Fake bacon dogfood smell.

Natures garden ginger FO. Smelled hideous oob but I tried it in a batch anyways. 1 oz ppo in a salt soap. After 4 weeks of curing, I threw all the bars but one out.

It did smell like ginger, like a rotten moldy ginger root that got left out too long. The scent has faded a lot, probably should have kept the batch but oh well.

As for smelling, cajeput EO gets that honor. It smells more like cat pee then even ylang ylang.

There was a patchouli from peak that was awful, I threw a 16 oz bottle away. I bought it second hand though so I don't know if it was old or what. It wasn't just a bad patch, it wasn't patch at all. Very chemically and plasticky.

When I was a new soaper, BB was the only supplier I knew about. The free sample in my box was Patchouli Ginger. Holy moly! So strong out of the bottle and not pleasant to me at all. And, I had a migraine from fragrance overload, so no good feelings there.

Another from Bramble Berry was Pumpkin Spice, which smelled to me like those orange marshmallowy Circus Peanuts I hated as a kid.

I, too, am one of those that can't handle ylang ylang. It smells like a tire fire to me.

Twilight from Nurture was weird, and not my cup of tea, but I can't say it was THE worst. Just very heavy, musky, sweet in a weird way, cloying... Not buying that one again.

A cafe latte fo from amazon think the supplier is called freshskin it just smells like burnt. Burnt what im not sure but honestly its vile from the bottle tried it in candles and its just about bearable and had a few people saying its nice but having smelt it from the bottle i can just smell burnt! The reviews all said it was nice. Not tried it in soap because i dont want it to smell of burnt

i really disliked WSP witch's brew OOB. i used it in a batch to get rid of it and it smelled quite a bit better. i have a couple bottles from WSP that i got as samples that i just cant even get over the OOB smell- some garbage like "newborn kisses" or something, its powdery yucky sweet. :mad: i get angry every time i look at the bottle, its a very visceral reaction lol. i should probably just toss it
also dont really care for nurture's "comfort and joy"

What a funny thread.

I dont use FO but once i used orange wax on advice. It stunk.

Almost everything I own is from New Directions and the only thing I haven't really liked (I like cajeput :) ) is their Cedarwood (Atlas). Doesn't smell like Cedar and doesn't smell good. Their Cedarwood (virginia) is great, but I do not like the Atlas.
In terms of FO, I really only buy what I think I'll like. I read the reviews obsessively, and if there are any counter-indications, I just don't get it. So I've got nothing pumpkin spicey, nothing cake-y, nothing chai (although I love drinking actual chai), nothing blueberry or berry (although I love actual berries), and if it says "powder" in the description, I head for the hills! I did buy 3 Vanilla FOs in search of the perfect one, because I do like a *perfect* vanilla. They were all wildly different, but I agreed that they were all vanilla-y....now to find out what combination of them equals *my* "perfect" vanilla.
Even when I don't agree with the reviews or smell the same things they smell, I do like all of my NDA FOs. (EOs I cut a little more slack because they're supposed to be for therapeutic, not just fragrance, but I did pass on NDA's ginger EOs due to reviews calling them "dirty" or "moldy"-smelling. Eventually bought 3 gingers from other suppliers, only one of which was remotely "dirty" and even that one grew on me....)

i really disliked WSP witch's brew OOB. i used it in a batch to get rid of it and it smelled quite a bit better. i have a couple bottles from WSP that i got as samples that i just cant even get over the OOB smell- some garbage like "newborn kisses" or something, its powdery yucky sweet. :mad: i get angry every time i look at the bottle, its a very visceral reaction lol. i should probably just toss it
also dont really care for nurture's "comfort and joy"

I think you and @amd should team up and go to therapy together she has angry crockery that makes noises at her and you have fo related anger issues it could be good for you both :D;) There would be lots of business just from the forum alone about soaping rehab issues think @Zing was seeking help not long ago

Lavender essential oil irritates me; sometimes to the point of anger if its strong enough. Weird thing is I love smelling lavender plants!

NG Lemon Lavender is nasty!

I also despise any form of Dragon's Blood.

But the winner of this chicken dinner is BB Spiced Amber Ale.....literally drove people out of the house and it's brutally strong and long lasting!!

@Chris_S i think she and i would have an amazing time together :D
but we all know there is no help for us. SOAP4LYFE! FO HO FO SHO!
WSP gardenia gave me a wicked headache when i soaped with it but it did soap nicely and cured beautifully, lasted nicely over 1 year now
WSP's oatmeal stout really doesnt smell like beer, i wanted it to so badly, or even just a good ol stout, but its just oatmeal cookies. so glad i have a big ol bottle of it :rolleyes:
i'm trying to get away from WSP guys, i promise :p

Lust. No. Just...no. The pretty pink color is intriguing but the usage rate would be like one DROP and that's IF you like overly strong jasmine....

Watermelon Granita from the late, great TheScentWorks. It was penned as being a sophisticated, 'grown-up' watermelon fragrance, as opposed to being a candy-sweet watermelon. I really don't know what I was expecting a 'grown-up' watermelon FO to smell like, but it certainly wasn't pickles I can tell you that much! lol I made a batch of soap with it in the hopes that the pickle smell would morph into something wonderful in my soap, but sadly, it remained quite pickled. Instead of getting angry, I turned my disappointment into humor by making a faux magazine cover out of it (one of the fun pastimes I do with pics in my spare time):

ProjectPickle SoapMagResized640.jpeg

IrishLass :)

I think you and @amd should team up and go to therapy together she has angry crockery that makes noises at her and you have fo related anger issues it could be good for you both :D;) There would be lots of business just from the forum alone about soaping rehab issues think @Zing was seeking help not long ago

I'd just like to point out that it isn't me that needs therapy - it's the crockery. It clearly has anger issues. I would take it to counseling myself, but I'm a bit nervous that I would be turned in to CPS (Crockery Protective Services). I tried to recruit @Zing to help me tame the crockery beasts, but he has his own demons to fight.

@Chris_S i think she and i would have an amazing time together :D

I am a lot of fun - especially when there is soap and beer involved!

WSP's oatmeal stout really doesnt smell like beer, i wanted it to so badly, or even just a good ol stout, but its just oatmeal cookies. so glad i have a big ol bottle of it :rolleyes:
i'm trying to get away from WSP guys, i promise :p

I really loved WSP's Oatmeal Stout OOB for the fact that it doesn't have the boozy yeasty smell of a stout but it does have the grainy malty yumminess of a good stout. If you're familiar with Tallgrass Brewing Co.'s Buffalo Sweat (now sadly out of business - sniff, it was my favorite beer) the FO is exactly that without the yeasty smell. The FO is a wanker to soap with though. [I'm allowed to say "wanker" on the forum, right?] Although I think Irish lass, snappyllama, or dixiedragon was able to get good results with it. I can't remember off the top o my head which of those gals does it. WSP has their place when you need something quick and don't want to drop a wad of cash on shipping... but I don't think the FO's are worth it.

Two that stick out for me as being truly horrible OOB and in soap were Crafters Choice Hemp and Crafters Choice Cannabis. The Hemp FO was moldy hay. The Cannabis wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. It was like a bad mix of pot and Axe body cologne. (I might be weird, but I always liked the smell of cannabis...)

Back