Worst fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My answer won't be popular, but lavender. Anything lavender is horrid for me. EO or FO. No matter which formulation, I smell it and it will inevitably lead to a migraine. Each and every time. Now, I just avoid lavender like the plague and it's all good.

Anything lavender is horrid for me. EO or FO.
OMG. Yes. I make lavender for other people. I have NG's Lavender Sage which is gross to me, but everyone who has smelled it loves it. I did buy NG's Lavender Martini and I do like it because it doesn't smell like lavender, it smells more like a floral and juniper mix. I may have to go to BBW to smell this Lavender Marshmallow that @shunt2011 keeps talking about...

I’m not a lavender fan. I make it because it’s popular.
OMG. Yes. I make lavender for other people.
I don't even try to make it anymore. I did at first because, yes, it's popular and other people love it, but after spending more time in bed with migraines after trying, even with using my filtered mask, when I would go in the room it was curing in, and still get a severe headache to migraine I decided it wasn't worth it to me no matter how much other people love it.

Honestly, it's not even been a big deal because at my shows very few (sometimes none in the entire months worth of shows) ask for it.

The worst I have smelled is WSP's Fragrance Formula Coconut. I didn't like it on it's own,and I even tried one of their suggested blends. And, it's just not good and over-powered every other scent in a blend. You get a whiff of something coconut-like and then it just gets bitter. Like plastic or something.:shakinghead:

cedarwood from BB and I am testing a batch with sensual sandlewood that smells like a cigarette--boy am I hoping it smells better in the soap

I'd just like to point out that it isn't me that needs therapy - it's the crockery. It clearly has anger issues. I would take it to counseling myself, but I'm a bit nervous that I would be turned in to CPS (Crockery Protective Services). I tried to recruit @Zing to help me tame the crockery beasts, but he has his own demons to fight.

I am a lot of fun - especially when there is soap and beer involved!

I really loved WSP's Oatmeal Stout OOB for the fact that it doesn't have the boozy yeasty smell of a stout but it does have the grainy malty yumminess of a good stout. If you're familiar with Tallgrass Brewing Co.'s Buffalo Sweat (now sadly out of business - sniff, it was my favorite beer) the FO is exactly that without the yeasty smell. The FO is a wanker to soap with though. [I'm allowed to say "wanker" on the forum, right?] Although I think Irish lass, snappyllama, or dixiedragon was able to get good results with it. I can't remember off the top o my head which of those gals does it. WSP has their place when you need something quick and don't want to drop a wad of cash on shipping... but I don't think the FO's are worth it.

Two that stick out for me as being truly horrible OOB and in soap were Crafters Choice Hemp and Crafters Choice Cannabis. The Hemp FO was moldy hay. The Cannabis wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. It was like a bad mix of pot and Axe body cologne. (I might be weird, but I always liked the smell of cannabis...)

I was more meaning you need the therapy for the trauma it causes and the fear it causes that you may loose a finger at any minutes if you dare cross the path of the angry crockery.

Nope no beer at therapy you'll just have to have sober soap related fun! This thread has got you another angry therapy needing with lavender eo related rage! Apparently this smell related rage isnt as uncommon as i had realised.

Ps do you want to adopt two cats both have plenty rage to keep you rageaholics company but its a very soothing rage lol

Skunk smells amazing when smoked Amd if they had a fo that was true to that id defo buy it dont smoke weed btw just love the smell

I got a vanilla fo that smells nice in the soap but just has something odd about it out the bottle not tried in candles yet

Unfortunately I get strong chemical notes OOB for most fragrance oils and have to just make a test soap (even out of MP) to see how it smells.
EOs I dont have that problem. It is interesting) and very unfortunate that Lavender EO causes migraines for jcandleattic. I actually use lavender and rosemary EOs to treat mine.

I was more meaning you need the therapy for the trauma it causes and the fear it causes that you may loose a finger at any minutes if you dare cross the path of the angry crockery.

Nope no beer at therapy you'll just have to have sober soap related fun! This thread has got you another angry therapy needing with lavender eo related rage! Apparently this smell related rage isnt as uncommon as i had realised.

Ps do you want to adopt two cats both have plenty rage to keep you rageaholics company but its a very soothing rage lol

Skunk smells amazing when smoked Amd if they had a fo that was true to that id defo buy it dont smoke weed btw just love the smell

I got a vanilla fo that smells nice in the soap but just has something odd about it out the bottle not tried in candles yet
I like the skunk smell too but don't know about it in a soap hahaha. if you do flowers you should plant some cleomes if you like that smell--It took me sometime to figure out where the smell was coming from :)

OMG. Yes. I make lavender for other people. I have NG's Lavender Sage which is gross to me, but everyone who has smelled it loves it. I did buy NG's Lavender Martini and I do like it because it doesn't smell like lavender, it smells more like a floral and juniper mix. I may have to go to BBW to smell this Lavender Marshmallow that @shunt2011 keeps talking about...

I put it in soap this weekend. It smells smoother than just lavender so far. Not as in your face. I can send you a bit if you like.

I like the skunk smell too but don't know about it in a soap hahaha. if you do flowers you should plant some cleomes if you like that smell--It took me sometime to figure out where the smell was coming from :)

Oh yes. I had a pot tub of cleomes growing on the porch, surprised the heck out of me the first time I smelled pot when stepping outside. They are really cool plants too, I love the unusual flowers.

I don't even try to make it anymore. I did at first because, yes, it's popular and other people love it, but after spending more time in bed with migraines after trying, even with using my filtered mask, when I would go in the room it was curing in, and still get a severe headache to migraine I decided it wasn't worth it to me no matter how much other people love it.

I know a number of people who react to lavender (migraines are the most common reaction, followed by asthma attacks).
It's the ragweed of the aromatherapy world!

Goat Milk and Honey from WSP. I couldn't stand it and ended up throwing the bottle away. I do have their Oatmeal, Milk and Honey which smells fantastic but this one? Ewww

Goat Milk and Honey from WSP. I couldn't stand it and ended up throwing the bottle away. I do have their Oatmeal, Milk and Honey which smells fantastic but this one? Ewww

Was it goaty smelling? I've noticed that I don't care for a most goat milk cheeses because I get that goat taste/smell. Sheep milk, OTOH, DIVINE.

Back