Working with Thick EOs ~ Benzoin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Here's a link to a site that I used today to make my thick-as-molasses Benzoin EO pourable:

https://www.aromaweb.com/articles/workingwiththickessentialoils.asp

WHAT I LEARNED: I'm here to tell ya, putting the bottle of goopy Benzoin EO into a container of warm rice works way better than a hot-water bath! I was able to measure out the amount I needed with a pipette and then add it to the carrier oil (jojoba in this case) easily. I warmed the jojoba before adding the Benzoin and it blended right in.

Benzoin is known for anchoring perfume but I used it to make a concoction to soothe itchies and to clear eczema. When my dear hubby was in the hospital for 5 days, he developed a rash on his leg behind his left knee. By the next day it had spread to the area behind his right knee. I went to my book on Essential Oils and found a formula and made this up for him:

100 mls almond oil (or carrier oil of choice)
3 mls Benzoin EO
1 ml Lavender EO

Applied with a cotton ball, the eczema started clearing right away. I have itchy ears that drive me crazy (not a far drive, I know. :confused:) and a drop on a cutip calms them right down.

HTH

Bump.gif

Oh, haha I just opened the link. Hot DRY rice! The first time I read this I imagined you heating your benzoin in a fresh batch of sticky rice. I will try this method after all :)

Oh, haha I just opened the link. Hot DRY rice! The first time I read this I imagined you heating your benzoin in a fresh batch of sticky rice. I will try this method after all
:D Glad you caught that, Millie. It works great. After using the rice to heat up the gooey benzoin, I put it in a jar and labelled it for the next time... ;)

Back