Working with Micas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaT

Reaction score
I'm expanding my soap making skills and would like to work with micas. I've been working with natural plant powders to color but they fade out and are often not bright to start with.
Any and all advice about using micas would be welcomed. I plan to order from Brambleberry if that is important. Do they stain washcloths? Do they fade over time? Do you color soap or use for pencil lines?
What have you been doing that you like.

Last edited:
I use micas almost exclusively to color my soap. My favorites come from Nurture (free shipping on micas!) and Mad Oils. I haven't used very many from BB although their Merlot one is very nice - giving a good wine color.

If you use too much, you can stain washcloths and have colored bubbles. Generally, I use a dark color only as an accent to avoid that possibility. I haven't seen an significant fading with mine - though I cure out of direct sunlight and wrap my soaps in paper.

I like to premix my colorant in either some OO or glycerin with a little water added to thin it out. If I need more colorant, I like that micas can normally be added directly to my soap batter without fear of clumping.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll too look into getting Micas where you mentioned. As long as someone has a trusted source ... just didn't want to order from some unknown and then not know what you truly are getting ... like spices/herb companies.

Both Nurture and Mad Oils are really good companies so I would be beyond surprised if you ever had any problems with either of them.

Carrie owns Nurture and is actually a member here. Her customer service is outstanding, and I cannot recommend her company enough. She shows how every mica looks in CP - something the other guys don't really do.

Happy soaping!

I'm another huge fan of Nurture products. The micas are great and I haven't found a better red for CP than Really Red. Molds & silicone liners are also top quality . . . you couldn't pry them outta my cold dead hands! I have to rave about their customer service as well. I had questions about a product over Labor Day weekend so I emailed not really expecting a response until Monday. It blew my socks off when Carrie replied within 24hrs so I make every effort to support her business!

Awww! I'm honored! Have I told all of you lately how much I love you? <3

Good to know their silicone molds and micas are top notch! I just ordered both of those things from NurtureSoaps a couple of days ago. I'm expecting the package today, in fact. Now I'm even more excited waiting for it to arrive. :)

Just wanted to add: I received my order today, and everything was perfect. The micas look beautiful. (I haven't had a chance to use them yet.) What really impressed me though is the labeling on each item. The micas list the ingredients including the colorants used to make them. I've never seen another supplier do that. Also the labeling on the FO's is great. It actually lists whether it accelerates or discolors. I've never seen a supplier actually put that on their labeling. Sure they might tell you, or list it on their website; but to actually put "Crazy fast acceleration!" on the bottle...that's real customer service right there!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back