Working out maximum EO/FOs in a blend?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachael

Reaction score
Hello all,

Up until this point I've followed recipes exactly or I've stuck to one EO or fragrance per batch, but now I want to start mixing it up.

For instance, let's make this entirely theoretical for the sake of conversation. Let's say I'm doing an orange and patchouli blend at 2 parts orange to 1 part patchouli. I run my numbers through Brambleberry's fragrance calculator, and it tells me that I can put a maximum of 1.5oz of 10x orange in my soap and 0.75 oz of patchouli.

How much of each EO/FO would I put in then to reach a "safe" amount for each fragrance? Would I be safe to then put the 1.5oz of orange in and 0.75oz of patchouli to get my ratio right and hit my maximums? Or now that I've put two fragrance oils/essential oils in, is that too much since it would total 2.25oz and bordering on unsafe?

Am I even doing the math right :) or is there a rule of thumb for this sort of thing?

Many thanks!

For EO's there's this wonderful website: https://www.eocalc.com
It lets you calculate how much of a blend you can safely use in any kind of product and it's a great resource to find inspiration for EO blends.
Hope this helps!

If you are doing a blend, I usually don't go over 1 ounce of EOs per pound of oils. 2 parts orange would equal .67 oz and 1 part patchouli equals .33 oz.

Back