Working out maximum EO/FOs in a blend?

Discussion in 'Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils' started by Rachael, Nov 6, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 6, 2019 #1

Rachael

Rachael

Rachael

Hello all,

Up until this point I've followed recipes exactly or I've stuck to one EO or fragrance per batch, but now I want to start mixing it up.

For instance, let's make this entirely theoretical for the sake of conversation. Let's say I'm doing an orange and patchouli blend at 2 parts orange to 1 part patchouli. I run my numbers through Brambleberry's fragrance calculator, and it tells me that I can put a maximum of 1.5oz of 10x orange in my soap and 0.75 oz of patchouli.

How much of each EO/FO would I put in then to reach a "safe" amount for each fragrance? Would I be safe to then put the 1.5oz of orange in and 0.75oz of patchouli to get my ratio right and hit my maximums? Or now that I've put two fragrance oils/essential oils in, is that too much since it would total 2.25oz and bordering on unsafe?

Am I even doing the math right :) or is there a rule of thumb for this sort of thing?

Many thanks!

2. Dec 6, 2019 #2

szaza

szaza

szaza

For EO's there's this wonderful website: https://www.eocalc.com
    It lets you calculate how much of a blend you can safely use in any kind of product and it's a great resource to find inspiration for EO blends.
    Hope this helps!

Ladka likes this.
  3. Dec 6, 2019 #3

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

If you are doing a blend, I usually don't go over 1 ounce of EOs per pound of oils. 2 parts orange would equal .67 oz and 1 part patchouli equals .33 oz.

Draft saved Draft deleted