Wooden mold boxes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaress

Reaction score
Has anyone sealed their mold boxes with polyurethane or do you generally keep them raw wood? I spill everything everywhere and I’m getting weary of the amount of washing that’s going into my Nurture molds!

I keep my wooden moulds in the raw state, there's no need to seal them because you should be lining them with freezer paper before you put your soap in and if they're lined properly it should cover the wood down the sides a bit.

I put polyurethane on mine. Instead of painting it on I wiped a thin coat on with a cloth. I don’t put these wooden molds in the oven to do CPOP.

I made the boxes to fit the silicon liners that I bought from Nurture.

I am a messy soaped and knew I’d ruin them unless I did something.

I left mine raw as well. I line with freezer paper so the spills that do land on the wood get wiped off, if soap leaks through the edges of the freezer paper inside, I scrape it out with a putty spatula thing and that's the extent of my cleaning my wooden molds.

Mine are also raw. I do occasionally spill some soap on them, just wipe it up no problem. They are stained and pretty ugly but work just fine. If there is ever a soaping spot I miss, its easy to scrape up with a blunt knife.

Sounds like I need to break out the putty knife! Although I spilled about a 1/4 cup of charcoal on them a couple weeks ago, one is now permanently black on one side

Back