Wood with Mould for Mold???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprilprichard

Reaction score
I bought a 1x4 to build my own mold. However, I left it outside and it rained for about a week. Now the wood has black streaks in it that I'm assuming are mold. Is there any way to save this wood to use for soap mold???

I appreciate any help here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making App....love this app!

You could try pouring some bleach solution on it to see if it will kill the mold then let it dry out for awhile to see if it comes back. If not then I would say you are fine as you will be lining it. However, if it is indeed mold and it doesn't go away I don't think I would use it.

I will be lining it! Bleach is a good idea! Thank you!

Wonder how long I should wait for possible reappearance of mold? Just really don't wanna risk contaminating the soap!!!

Since you are lining your mold, I would not worry about it. The bleach is a good idea. But after that dries just let the lining take care of it.

Nope it's not treated! Just a plain jane pine board! I will try the bleach. My thought was that if it is mold, then I didn't want my soap that close to it for any length of time! Haha. But I don't use a high superfat (about 5%), so there's not a lot of free floating fats for mold to latch on to. I read that having a lot of unsaponified oil can create an environment for mold

almost all wood in the USA is treated in some manner to keep diseases and bugs from being moved around. I have used wood with black steaks for utilitarian type of projects and never had any problem. It may not be pretty but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I would just make sure it is dry before using it to keep it from warping once you make the mold. Just sand it down to smooth it out.

Last edited:
I would use a lye solution instead of bleach.

Really? Would that weaken the wood at all?

almost all wood in the USA is treated in some manner to keep diseases and bugs from being moved around. I have used wood with black steaks for utilitarian type of projects and never had any problem. It may not be pretty but it doesn't seem to hurt anything thing. I would just make sure it is dry before using it to keep it from warping once you make the mold. Just sand it down to smooth it out.

Good advice! Hadn't thought about checking it for warping yet! Thank you!

I wanted to "like" your comment! Too much time on Facebook lately!

I don't think bleach will weaken the wood as my Mom had a bedroom set she always said was "bleached". I don't remember what kind of wood it was but know that it should have been a much darker color than it was. If you got this from any lumber store, you can ask them what kind of treatment their wood has and what the black streaks are, and how best to use it now.

I don't think bleach will weaken the wood as my Mom had a bedroom set she always said was "bleached". I don't remember what kind of wood it was but know that it should have been a much darker color than it was. If you got this from any lumber store, you can ask them what kind of treatment their wood has and what the black streaks are, and how best to use it now.

No, I don't think bleach would weaken it either. I was concerned that lye might, because I read that you shouldn't use wooden spoons to mix lye solution because you could wind up with splinters in your soap, so I thought washing the board with lye might weaken the board.

Actually, I bought the board from a Home Depot that is 6hrs away (the closest one to me! Haha I do love Alaska, tho!). I could call them tho. Good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making Forum App....love this app!

you will want to line the wooden mold with freezer paper or something like that. if you pour the soap into the non-lined mold you will have some problems with the soap leaching into the wood and would eventually dry the wood out and splintering. make sure you get freezer paper and not butcher paper. freezer is lined with plastic and butcher is not, the soap will soak right into the butcher paper (ask me how I know) and you will not be able to peal the paper off the loaf easily. some people use saran wrap or other product. I want to put silicone lining in mine but have not done that yet

Latest posts

Back